Thread: Peep sight for a traditional muzzle loader?

Default Peep sight for a traditional muzzle loader?

I can black powder hunt white tails and mulies with my son in Eastern WA every year at Thanksgiving, but these old eyes make it pretty tough to use the traditional buck horn sight. No scopes or inlines allowed for the late season here! Does anyone have experience/suggestions for something that might go on a CVA traditional type gun. Im worried the sight plane might be kind of short if put it where the buckhorn rear is now. What about a tang sight? Thanks!! (Hasn't been an issue yet this year, plenty of deer but getting close enough for a shot hasnt happened yet)

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

I feel your eyesight pain!

I have a Savage 99 with buck horn sight and it used to work really well, took a fair amount of nor cal black tails and quite a few North Slope Caribou with the buck horns...Well thank goodness it also has a tang mounted peep. It really makes a difference. I can still shoot the 99 well with the peep.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the...award-goes-to/

There is no way I will ever put a scope on it. So the peep is giving me many more years of shooting that fine rifle before my eyes go enough that I will need to pass it along to my boys.

Maybe this guy's stuff... http://www.skinnersights.com/express_sights_15.html

I've never used them.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

They are probably not allowed for ML matches, but for hunting, I think it's a good idea.

More accurate if you can see them better. I've not used a peep on a ML, but have them on other rifles.

I DO NOT like a peep sight in the same place a reg. rear sight is mounted. I like a peep closer to my eye.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

...these old eyes make it pretty tough to use the traditional buck horn sight....[/QUOTE]

I'm right there with you. And I have peeps on lots of my muzzleloading rifles.

You can easily do it on your CVA, but "ease" will depend on whether you have 2 tang screws 1 1/2" apart, the standard spacing for most I've known. If only one or the spacing is different, it's a small matter to have a gunsmith drill and tap a second hole in the right spot.

My favorite peep is the TC Hunter Peep, sadly no longer made. You can probably find one at scalper prices on one of the auction sites. Bulkier, but easier to adjust and with more latitude, is the #57 peep from Lyman. There are a few (very few) others out there, but those two are the ones I've had the most experience with.

BTW- You might well have to change the front sight height to match the change in rear sight.

I was looking at the peep sights in the Lyman catalog. I need to shoot the Great Plains rifle a little more but may eventually upgrade. I'd prefer a sight that's a little less bulky, however. I have a "newfangled" Savage 99 with a tang safety. Anyone know if a tang mounted peep sight will still work on that model?
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I have a "newfangled" Savage 99 with a tang safety. Anyone know if a tang mounted peep sight will still work on that model?
    You bet. I have half a dozen of them set up that way. Just get the sight Lyman recommends. I ended up putting a little taller front sight (dovetailed so no prob) on each.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    You bet. I have half a dozen of them set up that way. Just get the sight Lyman recommends. I ended up putting a little taller front sight (dovetailed so no prob) on each.
    It just occurred to me to update that. A couple of the peeps on my 99's are Williams.

Looks like Midway sells a peep sight for my Savage. Thanks!
    Louis Knapp

I bought a used TC with a pair of GM barrels in 32. It also came with a very simple peep screwed to the piece the barrel tang hooks under. Its made from what looks to be about a 1/4" wide piece of 1" angle iron with a hole drilled on each leg, one to screw it down with and another to look through. It is simple and could be made by most anybody with a few simple tools. The one on mine is a bit crude but works very well and is far enough back to work right.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I know a guy that made one like that. He had it sighted in perfectly, too.

They are simple, and even look primative , but can be effective.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Mine shoots about 1 1/2" at 50yds which is remarkable considering my eyesight. I can barely shoot regular iron sights and buckhorns are even worse.