Thread: Which .45

Default Which .45

Hi all,
    looking to get rid of the Hi-Point .45 and upgrade to maybe a 1911 or Glock. Not sure of double stack or not. Had a 9mm then 1911 in the sandbox. Any suggestions? I've been a rifle person but reload .45, .40, 38/357. I want a paper and zombie .45 for some combat shoots.

There's a ton of .45s out on the market. It is tough to recommend just one pistol. It's kind of like asking who makes the best truck. You'll get many different opinions. You may want to approach it from a "systems" point of view:

Do you want single stack or double stack magazines?
    Do you prefer polymer, steel, or alloy frames?
    Do you like external hammer or striker fired pistols?
    Do you want an external safety, decocker or nothing?
    Do you prefer US or foreign manufacture?
    How will you carry? Cocked and locked? Round in chamber/hammer down? Israeli style?
    What are you willing to spend?

Once you've answered some of these questions you ought to come away with a short list of .45s. If some of your buddies have some .45s, go shooting one weekend and test fire them at the range. See what feels good and what doesn't.

So much for theory...and so much for systems...

My favorite .45s are those made by Glock, Colt, Sig, and HK.

Have fun hunting for your new .45 !

I have both a Springfield Armory 1911 45 ACP and a Glock G21 45ACP. I shot combat pistol in the military and really got to know and like the 1911 format. I have several Glock pistols and really like them also. I find that I shoot my Glock a lot more then I do the 1911. Also I am more willing to carry my Glock any place, where the 1911 only goes to the range any more.
    If you get a change, shoot both before deciding and see what you really like. There are some of us out there that are 'die hard' Glock fans.

The Glock 21SF is a good pistol and is as accurate as any other non-custom grade pistol on the market. The triggers suck but they can be improved. They are probably the best bang for the dollar.

I much prefer the 1911 and have always recommended a semi-custom grade to those who are striving to become a competitor in one of the many shooting sports. My preference is the Les Baer PII and if you're patient enough you can pick up a used model at a good price and you'll have the best accurate 1911 for the money spent.

If you're just looking to own a 45 handgun, the glock will be as good as any and probably the easiest to maintain and if you ever decide to go with the 460 Rowland - that glock is the best to convert - otherwise just about any modern 1911 will probably run just fine for you and of the many out there, I'd recommend the Ruger 1911.

For general use I would recommend a striker fired pistol from Glock, Smith, Sig, or Springfield. If you like to have a hammer and good trigger look into the FN line-up as well. Absolutely love my FNX Tactical.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

So many choices. I have a Springfield "loaded" 1911 that is stock except for the ebony stocks, S&A magwell, Novak night sights and 4 lb. trigger job. I also have a Glock 41, 30S and 36. A good 1911 is always a good choice. The Glock 41 is a big hand gun and like the1911 that makes it easier to shoot well, at least for me. The trigger is not as user friendly as a good 1911, but it can be mastered with practice. A single stack 1911 is a great carry gun with the right holster and the single stack magazines carry easy.

A full size double stack .45 magazine is not the most comfortable concealed carry option in my opinion. A Glock pistol is usually reliable out of the box, which I can't say the same about for tricked out 1911's. A Glock is usually lighter in weight and has a more "negligent discharge" forgiving trigger in cold weather if one is wearing thin gloves and the pistol is not as cold to the hands in our Alaskan winters. Spend some time with a crisp 1911 trigger while wearing gloves and you may get an unexpected or unwanted bang, even if you are obeying Rule #3.

I like a 1911 best for belt carry when it's not winter. In the winter I now prefer a Glock 30S or 36 or 19. Big trigger guard, warmer to hands, more forgiving trigger and no safety manipulation, along with enough accuracy for defensive use. All mine are stock except for Warren Tactical 2 Lamp Night Sights. If their on a belt in a holster they are in Condition 1. If they are in a coat pocket and no holster they are in Condition 3.

I am not one to argue what round is best for shooting people. I think a good 9mm load works well and most shooters can shoot a 9mm better then a .40 or .45. But a .45 is a .45 no matter how the bullet performs and when it comes to winter clothing and cars and wind shields the old 230 grain hard ball keeps on penetrating.

Get a couple of each and shoot often.

Be sure to check out the FNH FNX-45 . its my favorite so far.

Have several versions of .45acp:

- Colt & Ruger 1911
    - Glock (not in front of me right now, so can't say the model #)
    - H&K USP

I learned on the Colt 1911, so notionally, that's how a .45 is supposed to feel. That being said, when I take a 45, it is usually the H&K. That just seems to be the one that "git's r done"....right combination of accuracy, capacity, and hand fit. the Colt has some of that just less so than the H&K.

I like the Ruger SR45. I liked my SR9 so well I went out and bought the SR45. I have never cared for the glocks, but I do like the glock style trigger on the SR9/45 as well as my springfield 40. Try them all from friend before you make a decision. That's what I would do...enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    For general use I would recommend a striker fired pistol from Glock, Smith, Sig, or Springfield. If you like to have a hammer and good trigger look into the FN line-up as well. Absolutely love my FNX Tactical.
    +1. Lots of love for my FN FNX Tactical.

There's a ton of great choices out there, I'm loving my SA XD and XDM's.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    Hi all,
    looking to get rid of the Hi-Point .45 and upgrade to maybe a 1911 or Glock. Not sure of double stack or not. Had a 9mm then 1911 in the sandbox. Any suggestions? I've been a rifle person but reload .45, .40, 38/357. I want a paper and zombie .45 for some combat shoots.
    My carry .45 for the past 20 years is a P12.45, which is no longer made. Not sure what I'd buy if shopping today. Probably would look for another P12 on the secondary market.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm a firm believer that the reason so many shots in recent gun fights is cops don't use enough gun. Ever since the 9mm craze seems more and more shots to take down bad guys? My vote would be the .45 ACP preferably a Colt.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."