Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most miserable AK Species to hunt??

Default Most miserable AK Species to hunt??

So while I was out with the GF this morning looking for bears and getting our behinds kicked by winds and rain, got me to thinking, what's the most miserable thing in AK to hunt? Late Nov Bear and Goats in Kodiak can be pretty miserable weather wise. I mean, I know, it's all great as long as you're hunting, but there's a lot of misery in it too.. Sitting on a hillside in the rain and wind, cold, looking for a bear to wander through the valley, lots of misery in that one for me. I'm like Brian, I wana be up and running the hills.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Any hunt that requires negotiating through a long distance of alder jungle with a heavy pack on your back.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

I think they are considered invasive species.

That's some funny stuff guys (seriously)...I held back a couple of add-ins.

Regarding the original question (Alaskan game animals), the "most miserable" hunts that I have done in our great state are also some of the most memorable and valued by me. For example, the several mountain goat hunts that I had done have been the most demanding (miserable) on me, yet I wouldn't trade a moment.

I do agree with 4mer regarding anything involving a heavy pack and alder thickets...but I'll add salmonberry vines to that formula. In a different topography of our state, I'll say that the seven trips it takes to pack a moose on my back for long distance in muskeg is equally as bad as any alder thicket with a mountain goat on my back...although with a goat, I (we) have the additional worry about falling a thousand or more feet if we slip.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Mid August Mulchatna caribou. Slogging through endless alders and thigh deep muskeg swamp with a full pack. Temps in the mid 50s, and then only time the horrendous clouds of mosquitos left us alone was during the frequent torrential rains.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Oh, now I get it!

You meant the most miserable hunt...not the most miserable creatures...

My worst one, now that i think about it...Last fall, Raspberry cow elk tag. we had great weather the whole trip, but had to call it short. Day 3 the herd busted us, we kept chase, I took a knee where they were and had a bead on them, just waiting for one to step out of herd to plant it. My allergies kicked it bad, I'm HIGHLY allergic to deer hides, and had just found out at this time, elk too. Our packs were about 500yds behind us, with all my meds and inhaler. Sitting there, got to the point I was nauseous and dizzy, elk move off without a shot. On the way back to packs, I'm really dizzy, can't breathe, throat is closed up, eyes swollen shut and I'm stumbling, roll an ankle, fall and catch a broken salmon berry stick in the eye. Made it to packs, my buddy almost called a 60 to come get me, it was bad. The next morning I looked bad, my bud described it as Rocky for the first movie, so I took a selfie...Wasn't that bad I think..... I made one more trip up the mountain the next morning, what should have taken an hour took over 3, couldn't hike, legs just can't go when there's no air to fuel the motor. I started the trip with 297 puffs left on the inhaler, 2 days later it said 150 left, and half a box of benadryl gone and a bottle of eye drops. That was by far the most miserable I've been, and it was sunny and warm everyday. We did take 2 nice bucks tho.

DSCF1420.jpg
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Most miserable hunt....stalking a Delta bison with a buddy, in Feburary. -25F, wind speed hovering between ridiculous and ludicrous. 1 mile of that crap and they busted us...and gone.

On the hike back to the truck into a headwind I had my eyelids freeze shut. I think it took 2 days to warm up after that.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I think the most miserable hunt is any hunt you have to slog through muskeg or Devil's Club, or you're post holing in deep crusted snow.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Southern southeast goats or an Etolin Island elk.

The hunts that I'm not able to go on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    The hunts that I'm not able to go on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1!!!!!

Every hunt should have a fair dose of misery mixed in. Its overcomming the misery that keeps me comming back for more. It also helps keep the armchair hunters behind the keyboard where they belong!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I'm going to go with 22 ammo. The hunt itself isn't all that bad it's the fact that it's even a "hunt" at all that makes it miserable. After that I would have to go with hunting through the regulations.

Most hunts seem like they are the most miserable while you are in the worst part of it. Seems like when you realize it was a false peak and now there is another 1000 foot climb, the marsh never ends, the Alders seem to come alive and are just far enough apart to not let you and your pack through, but the worst for me is sitting still glassing in cold weather. I need to be a guy on the move. It's so hard to sit still dont know how those tree stand guys do it.

Hey, hey I'm both!

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    My worst one, now that i think about it...Last fall, Raspberry cow elk tag. we had great weather the whole trip, but had to call it short. Day 3 the herd busted us, we kept chase, I took a knee where they were and had a bead on them, just waiting for one to step out of herd to plant it. My allergies kicked it bad, I'm HIGHLY allergic to deer hides, and had just found out at this time, elk too. Our packs were about 500yds behind us, with all my meds and inhaler. Sitting there, got to the point I was nauseous and dizzy, elk move off without a shot. On the way back to packs, I'm really dizzy, can't breathe, throat is closed up, eyes swollen shut and I'm stumbling, roll an ankle, fall and catch a broken salmon berry stick in the eye. Made it to packs, my buddy almost called a 60 to come get me, it was bad. The next morning I looked bad, my bud described it as Rocky for the first movie, so I took a selfie...Wasn't that bad I think..... I made one more trip up the mountain the next morning, what should have taken an hour took over 3, couldn't hike, legs just can't go when there's no air to fuel the motor. I started the trip with 297 puffs left on the inhaler, 2 days later it said 150 left, and half a box of benadryl gone and a bottle of eye drops. That was by far the most miserable I've been, and it was sunny and warm everyday. We did take 2 nice bucks tho.

DSCF1420.jpg
    Well it just goes to show you that the ol' saying holds true...... "If you ain't got your health, you ain't got sh*t"

Which I totally agree....

Glad ya made it though, and with your eye still in your head....!!!

Personally though.... I'm getting to the age now, the big 60 next April, that if I have to pack out anything for very long, I can bet it's gonna be miserable. Unfortunately I became fully aware of that last fall on our caribou hunt. Previously I helped a buddy butcher and pack out a spike bull moose on opening day of bow hunting.....but only a few hundred yards each time. I thought to myself....hey this isn't that bad. So from then on I didn't go about undertaking any workouts or extra exercise....even though I knew better, I thought I got plenty just from work....NOT. And I figured that seeing that the caribou hunt was to be off the Denali highway, and we were bringing a wheeler, that the chance was good that I wouldn't be packing out anything at all on my back.....wrong again.

Long story short, I ended up taking a whole half of that big bull out 3 miles on my back. Of course I had a choice that I could have taken less weight and made a couple trips, but because of bad weather early on we had run out of time. So, with my much younger 6'5", 250 lb. hunting partner saying he could take half, AFTER just packing out his own big bull with his wife, I made the choice to do it all in one load.....bone in! After the first few steps, I really didn't believe I would make it. Took hours and hours of baby steps, but I did.

I guess what I'm getting at, is that given the many obstacles that, more often than not, is an Alaskan hunt, unless it's right off the road, and you have to pack anything for any distance at all, if you ain't in pretty darn good shape....you're gonna be miserable. As most of you know, just walking in AK....tundra, muskeg, alpine, etc... WITHOUT any weight on your back can be a daunting task.....now add 20-30 years to your ass. Take it from one who knows..... as the years fly by, a guy really HAS to put in the extra effort to keep in shape.

I'm thinkin' that, that will be this years New Years resolution. But, if I'm not mistaken, did I, or did I not say that last year? Can't remember, see the mind starts to go too....lol.

So do yourself a favor, stay in shape and be "less" miserable....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

witnessed quite a few miserable hunts at Koots and Gaslight...

Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    I'm going to go with 22 ammo. The hunt itself isn't all that bad it's the fact that it's even a "hunt" at all that makes it miserable. After that I would have to go with hunting through the regulations.
    If your still hunting for .22, shoot me a PM, I know where some are hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    witnessed quite a few miserable hunts at Koots and Gaslight...
    Yup...back in my single days quite a few of my well planned hunts failed in those hunting grounds...

Can't discuss the successful ones on a family friendly forum...

Any place that is crowded with rude and/or careless hunters. Just makes life miserable and ruins the trip. Don't much care for strong wind and heavy rain either, or below zero weather with a wind. I like it to be sunny and about 38 degrees with no wind and no other hunters except for those with me. I'm getting picky in my old age. Oh ya, don't care for skitters or gnats either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast