Thread: 17 wsm

Default 17 wsm

Have any of you guys got any time uder your belts with the 17wsm? I'm really contemplating getting one. Would love to here from the voice of experience before I take the plunge.

If I answer my own post does that mean I'm talking to myself? It's been a week and nobody ain't said nuttin. Well then, I had some old fixer upper shoot guns for sale at a gun shop and hadn't paid any attention to them since before pheasant season started. Enough of them found homes to allow me to purchase a brand new Ruger 77 in 17WSM along with 1000 rounds of 20 grain Winchester 20 grain fodder. The tracking info says that the rifle will arrive today. Yee haw!

Tomorrow Iowa's slug season starts. I have a tag for this season but have all the venison that I need so I aim to guard the fort and maybe put a tree rat or two in the pot......after I get the 17 zeroed.

I spent most of last night reading reviews on both the gun and the cartridge. One guy said that he saw a decrease in accuracy after the first 50 rounds and that a couple cleaning patches later all was well again. The next guy said he put 500 rounds through his and it still shot lights out. One of them is lying and I would say it was the latter as most anything with a itty bitty .172 hole in the barrel needs a little more love than a larger bore.

Well it's now 3:36 AM Alaska time and if ya ain't snoozing you prolly ortsta be thinking about it. As for me I have to go revive a dead boiler so school can happen.

Well good luck getting it fixed!

No problem! Let us know how the 17WSM works out!

See there what happens when nobody don't talk to me? The post must go on!

I had the savage bmag. Not the greatest thing savage ever made. Sold it , now i have an A17. Lotsa fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little bit bigger version of the A17 in 17WSM would be even more fun. I know several guys who have A17 and nothing but good things are being said about them. Savage got that one right.

I agree with you on the B-Mag. Probably the cheapest made rifle I have ever handled. However I have seen them go for as little as $275. You can't expect much for that. However I only paid $50 more for my Ruger Amreican 17HMR and it is a heck of a gun. I wish Ruger would do the American in 17 WSM....they would sell like hot cakes!

I'm interested in how the 17WSM works for you. I thought about one pretty hard and think it would make a great fox gun and a look range sniper of bunnies and grouse.

I was enthusiastic until I felt a B-Mag. Hopefully Ruger and others will get on board. Experience with a .204 and a 17-223 would lead me to believe that running a patch down the barrel frequently is a good thing.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'd like to see someone make a larger Rim fire cartridge, not smaller. (Than 22 cal.) Say,,, 25, 30, 32.

I've read some criticisms in reviews of the 17 WSM, in comparison to the 22 WMR.

Now, we have you, to check it all out. I'll be hoping to hear more from you about this new marvel. Who could be a better taster?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I'd like to see someone make a larger Rim fire cartridge, not smaller. (Than 22 cal.) Say,,, 25, 30, 32.

I've read some criticisms in reviews of the 17 WSM, in comparison to the 22 WMR.

Now, we have you, to check it all out. I'll be hoping to hear more from you about this new marvel. Who could be a better taster?

Smitty of the North
    Smitty do remember what they were negative about in regards to the 17WSM? I have read a lot if negative reviews on the BMag from Savage. I remember a dude bragging about buying his B Mag for $273 and then crucified it when it arrived because it wasn't as nice as his CZ 455.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Smitty do remember what they were negative about in regards to the 17WSM? I have read a lot if negative reviews on the BMag from Savage. I remember a dude bragging about buying his B Mag for $273 and then crucified it when it arrived because it wasn't as nice as his CZ 455.
    As I remember, it was Wind drift, mostly. Something about not powerful enough for Coyotees. ??? I'm pretty good at focusing on Negatives.

I can't find it now.

Most of the reviews are probably somewhat positive, as they usually are with new products.

I always thought that the Rimfire design, was limiting as far as pressure, and therefore power is concerned, also the economics of the ammo.

The fact that the 17 WSM is made with a thicker case, tells me that a larger Caliber higher pressure, Rimfire Could be developed. After all. I like the fact that the brass is disposable.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

EKC, did ya ever git to run that .17 WSM, how'd she do?

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    EKC, did ya ever git to run that .17 WSM, how'd she do?
    Well I ended up with two of them. The Ruger was a little slow getting here and I saw a Savage Bmag for sale not far from ere for $277 so I bought it. When the Ruger 77 arrived I spent most of one morning shooting them. They both shot sub MOA with Winchester ammo and just a bit more with Federal ammo. What surprised me was that I had a 2 1/2" thick piece of hard maple that I stuck my target to. The little 20 grain 17 bullet zipped right through it at even 150 yards. It made an itty bitty hole where it went in and a hole the size of a 50 cent piece where it came out.

That night Hank(my Jack Russell) and I spent the night in my just finished hunting cabin. I should have known better. Hank can be fast asleep on the living room floor and a cat walks through the yard and he knows it. He growled all night long. About 3 AM it was more than a growl then I heard something go bump in the night. I grabbed the Savage BMag and my beeg Mag Light and stepped out into the dark for a look see. At the first foot on the porch I hear something running away behind the cabin. At about 75 yards it stopped and turned around and my mag kight saw two eyeballs. Then when it moved a bit I could see it was a feral cat and a beeg one. I aimed center mass and let one fly. The gun shot was more than Hank could stand he nose the cabin door open and came running to me. The flipping and flopping going on down hill in the timber caught his attention and there was nothing that I could say that was going to stop him at this point. I ran after him thinking that he was going to get tore up but that big ole feline did not have any brain function going on just doing the dying quivers. Hank was safe.

A big ole honed owl was scolding us the whole while for disturbing the night. That owl was still talking to us 15 minutes after I crawled back in the sack. Hank continued to growl the rest of the night. He had himself so keyed up that every time a piece of not so dry wood popped in the stove he growled. Danged city dog anyway.

As for the BMags....I ordered a 1000 rounds of ammo and left 50 rounds and the Savage Bmag in the cabin. The Ruger came home with me. Damage wise it out performs anything I've ever seen a 22 mag do by 2 fold.

Coyotes die easy unless you get an alpha male or a weathered old brood *****. I am anxious to shoot a coyote or two with the Ruger just to see how it does. All we need is some snow. 3 inches of rain in the last 24 hours and it isn't done yet. Can't snow when it's 50 degrees!

Sounds like your having fun EKC with the new toys! At .17 they should group under an inch for sure... Pro Shot Products out of Taylorville IL makes a nice SS cleaning rod for the 17's. Nice family run business, I knew the owners well and they are good people...
    So, did the shot exit the kitty?
    I wuz enjoying watching you mutter to yourself - not many can run an entire thread by themselves - Larry the Cable Guy would be proud of ya!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

EKC, what range did you zero these two rifles for.........??? And what do you think is the max "PRACTICAL" range assuming zero wind.......???

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    EKC, what range did you zero these two rifles for.........??? And what do you think is the max "PRACTICAL" range assuming zero wind.......???
    Well as near as I can tell zeroed dead on at 50 yards put me 'bout an inch and a quarter high at 100. There is a hedge apple tree that my range finder says was 212 yards away and I was hitting fist sized hedge apples by shooting right at them. I might have been hitting the lower half but none the less they were coming apart in fine fashion. The 20 grain bullet still has 188 ft lbs of energy at 200 yards. I'm not sure if that would knock a coyote off his feet or not but I'm betting it wouldn't do him any good either. I would think for prairie dogs and the like it would be a 250 yard gun. I know if all I had was the 17WSM and I had a big daddy coyote standing 250 yards out I'd try to give him a sore spot and I'd like my chances.

I plan to hunt squirrels with the 17WSM. I have always been a head shooter only.....unless I got dizzy, light headed and farted or something thus causing me to flinch a bit and then I might bugger one up a bit. I hate cleaning squirrels when they are blowed in half so I'll try real hard not to do that.

AGL4now, I would say that the BMag or Ruger"s slicked up version would collapse coyotie lungs and give em heart failure out to a couple hundred pretty regular like.

Smokie, That big ole cat stank something awful and he relieved himself when he got thumped. I didn't get to investigate the kill like I wanted to. Dad burn Hank was trying to roll in what ever it was that came out of that cat upon being rendered dead. I didn't have nothing to wash him off with but Coca-Cola. He had to ride in the way back when we headed home. Next time I'll check for blowed up marks on the cat. That sounds a little sadistic don't it?

What that cat does, or any predator does, is as sadistic as shooting them and checking the terminal performance.

Good Report. But, we need more data. Keep at it.

What bout noise? How does it compare to 22 LR or Mag?

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.