Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Claim Jumping a trapline.

Default Claim Jumping a trapline.

O.K. I am having a problem with this new guy trying to jump a couple of claims and he is going with the law on this and has no intention on backing down on this.

These claims are on establist trails that cover 100 miles and have been in place for over 40 years.

These miles are trapped at differant times ( one year here and the next year there ) He found one last year that was'nt being trapped and hit it without me knowing about, and is back on the dang thing this year.

Any ideas on this guys?

That sucks. I have two thoughts:

1) talk to him explain that these lines have been in place for over 40 yearsand that you've been trapping them. Tell him that by trapping on these lines heis interfering with your legal trapping and that you are going to bring it tothe troopers if he doesn't leave. (I don't think you have a case but it may beenough that the guy wouldn't want the legal trouble)

2) start falling tree's on the line make it a pain to run, and set some of yourtraps on the line so if the guy says youíre getting in the way of his trappingyou can say something about how your trying to make dead falls to push fox,lynx, coyote under. Might be good to set some snares in there as well so youcan show how you're using it to trap.

the who line jumper thing really pisses me off, and I don't even have a line!I've been trying to find a spot to trap up here in Fairbanks and itís a pain,mostly cause I try very hard not to step on peoples toes. Stuff like this makesestablished trappers try harder to hide their line which then in turn makes itharder for me to figure out where someone is not trapping.

Is this public land that you are trapping on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know of Hatfield/McCoy type feuds that have lasted through a couple of generations over trap line disagreements on public land in Alaska. Not wishing to give offense, but it's sort of comical if one thinks about it for awhile.

If it's public land, there is nothing you can legally do about it. That being said, nothing illegal about riding your old two-stroke down the line and relieving yourself of that morning coffee at each trap set either.

wow. this is a sad thread and its barely started!! fell trees, piss on a guys sets, call the troopers?!?!? what on earth?? do you guys read this stuff you write??
    if you have a "line" that not being used and a guy uses it? why are you mad? is it posted? is it legally yours? have you left a note at a set for the guy to call you? theres better ways to communicate "your area" than hostility. its a no wonder no one wants to talk to each other on this stuff if striking back is the first re action. often times reaction is more important than the action itself.
    you guys sound like the old time guides and their possesiveness to the land...even if they aren't using it they still feel entitled to it because they did use it or do...sometimes.
    if someones trapping an area that confilicts with your trapline use, leave a note. contact the guy, work something out. this is a big state, maybe we can be big boys and work together so we can all use the land and its resources. i know there are jerks out there, but trying other ways of working together is a better first step than being a jerk yourself.
    breathe, then think thru the situation, don't let anger and frustration get the best of us!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    wow. this is a sad thread and its barely started!! fell trees, piss on a guys sets, call the troopers?!?!? what on earth?? do you guys read this stuff you write??
    if you have a "line" that not being used and a guy uses it? why are you mad? is it posted? is it legally yours? have you left a note at a set for the guy to call you? theres better ways to communicate "your area" than hostility. its a no wonder no one wants to talk to each other on this stuff if striking back is the first re action. often times reaction is more important than the action itself.
    you guys sound like the old time guides and their possesiveness to the land...even if they aren't using it they still feel entitled to it because they did use it or do...sometimes.
    if someones trapping an area that confilicts with your trapline use, leave a note. contact the guy, work something out. this is a big state, maybe we can be big boys and work together so we can all use the land and its resources. i know there are jerks out there, but trying other ways of working together is a better first step than being a jerk yourself.
    breathe, then think thru the situation, don't let anger and frustration get the best of us!
    Brwnbr His original statement made is sound as if he hasalready confronted the line jumper and the jumper chose to keep on trapping inthis location.

Yes, a trap line is on public land is not "legally" yours; howeverthe original owner is the one who put all the work into creating and maintainingthe trap line. It would seem to me that falling trees is in no way a over thetop move, you made the path why can't you unmake it?

a 40 year old trap line was not made overnight or in one season itís made overyears of hard work, every year trees need to be removed, the line may beextended, many people I know with longer lines work on them in the summerpreparing for the winter trapping season. This line jumper is using someone elseíshard work for his gain.

my experience is most trappers are very helpful in helping someone try to get astart (much better then hunters or fisherman) they don't want to crossing theirline or anyoneís, they also want you to be successful.

Just like other pilots using a runway or another guy on a four wheeler using a trail...?
    I understand all this. Started my trapping in a village where the whole area is established lines. I've been around these things. When it comes to public land your hard work justs makes it easier for whoever is following you. Folks need to keep that in mind when they make improvements. Felling trees for spite is more what I was getting at.
    Master guide 212

But isn't that the problem? I mean you work hard, thensomeone comes along and uses your hard work for their benefit? On top of thatthey are making it unable for you to use your hard work! stuff like this justpushes people to hiding their trap lines more and more, which then makes itharder for someone trying to find a spot (i.e me) who doesn't want to step on someoneístoes.

My view of felling trees ( I mean it was my suggestion!)is this-it doesnít hurt or threaten the other trapper. It makes it harder touse your trail that you cut. And it sends a clear message of ďIím not going toback down and let someone use what I worked hard forĒ but thatís just me. Itís notmy line I donít know how the initial conversations went.

So Brwnbr if some guy is using your trap line and refuses to leave what is yourproposed action? (Iím not trying to be smart I do want to hear your opinion as
    someone who has probably dealt with this)

Thanks guys for the comments, I did talk to the guy and he is in the frame of mind ( "am I on private property?") mode.

And yes AKducks if he wants to prolong this and make trouble I will make the trails impassable.

I'm not sure if pissing on thier traps is a good idea with the DNA nowdays, lol.

( I would like to say also, most of you trappers know this, you don't keep trapping the same line year after year. You have to give it a break at some time when you see the numbers falling off to let it regroup.)

It will get worse.........and the crappier it gets in the lower 48, the more attractive Alaska will become. Let's see if 740,000 people each want 100 miles of trapline, that equals a hell'of-lot'a real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    It will get worse.........and the crappier it gets in the lower 48, the more attractive Alaska will become. Let's see if 740,000 people each want 100 miles of trapline, that equals a hell'of-lot'a real estate.
    So whats the answer? do we start regestering these lines?

My answer is NO combustion engine of any type. Best solution is to see about forming a partnership. Maybe registering traplines, or a lottery drawing. There is no answer, and you know that. And it is going to get worse as thousands and thousands of more humans over populate the available resources. Maybe some day they will have lottery drawing for the chance to move to Alaska for a period of "Say", three years, abd then rotate to New York City or L.

I remember what it was like before and during the oil pipeline.........can you just guess what Alaska will be like if they build an EIGHTY-SEVEN BILLION DOLLAR Gas pipeline.......Wowzer.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    So whats the answer? do we start regestering these lines?

Sorry guys, I'm afraid I don't get this "my trapline, my hunting spot, my fishing hole" mentality that I see way too often here. If it's public land, it's open to all, even if you've hunted/trapped/fished it for years. I've used the same gravel bar the last 20 years to land on during moose season. I've spent countless hours making it more airplane friendly but do I think of it as "MINE?" Of course not. Every season when I fly in I am aware that someone else might be there already. If they are, it's theirs, I'll find someplace else.
    I don't run a "trapline", I have a rock that's in a really hard to get to place that I set a trap on and it's good for one wolverine every year. Then I stop. If I ever get there and find someone's already put a trap on "my" rock, I'll probably leave him a note congratulating him on finding the place and wishing him the best of luck. Then I'll go find someplace else.
    And the internet tough guy talk about cutting down trees and peeing on traps...really? I'm hoping that's beneath most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    Sorry guys, I'm afraid I don't get this "my trapline, my hunting spot, my fishing hole" mentality that I see way too often here. If it's public land, it's open to all, even if you've hunted/trapped/fished it for years. I've used the same gravel bar the last 20 years to land on during moose season. I've spent countless hours making it more airplane friendly but do I think of it as "MINE?" Of course not. Every season when I fly in I am aware that someone else might be there already. If they are, it's theirs, I'll find someplace else.
    I don't run a "trapline", I have a rock that's in a really hard to get to place that I set a trap on and it's good for one wolverine every year. Then I stop. If I ever get there and find someone's already put a trap on "my" rock, I'll probably leave him a note congratulating him on finding the place and wishing him the best of luck. Then I'll go find someplace else.
    And the internet tough guy talk about cutting down trees and peeing on traps...really? I'm hoping that's beneath most of us.
    You really don't have a clue about this do you? A person and his family builds a trapline for over 40 years and he is supposed to let anybody come in and take it away from them? That aint going to happen. I will sabotage the line before I let that happen.

This is something we call respect in Alaska and by god we will defend it.

You want a trapline, go build your own, the land is out there, just don't be lazy and try to take over someone else hard work.

Well, I guess that's one way to look at it. I might prefer to look at the glass half full though and feel blessed that I and my family, for 40 years, had use of a resource that we didn't own.

If someone moves onto a line that I skipped a year on that i put in and they aren't willing to move somewhere else, then I will. It's not worth it over a handful of furs and hard work.
    The days are gone guys of old trapper and trapline respect, this state is filling up. Hunters and fisherman have been dealing with this for a long time and now it's trappers turn I guess. Folks have had moose camps established for 40 years, fish camps, berry picking areas, clamming, crud you name it. This isn't a new issue, trappers are just taking the tail of the dragon on this issue!!
    It's a big state, lots of game, lots of other places, my hard work, my family has....ect ect. This is all old hat. If trappers can't find ways to avoid sabotaging likes to maintain an area maybe it's time for trapline registration like bear bait stations? Don't know when to tell you folks. Just cause you've been pissing on the same stump since you were three don't make it your stump. The days of old Alaska are gone. Room for everyone to have their 40 year traditions are gone. The sooner we figure that out and adapt the longer our lifestyle will survive. Fight it and it'll just disappear.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    Well, I guess that's one way to look at it. I might prefer to look at the glass half full though and feel blessed that I and my family, for 40 years, had use of a resource that we didn't own.
    Do you just drop the kids and grandkids from learning because of somebody?

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    If someone moves onto a line that I skipped a year on that i put in and they aren't willing to move somewhere else, then I will. It's not worth it over a handful of furs and hard work.
    The days are gone guys of old trapper and trapline respect, this state is filling up. Hunters and fisherman have been dealing with this for a long time and now it's trappers turn I guess. Folks have had moose camps established for 40 years, fish camps, berry picking areas, clamming, crud you name it. This isn't a new issue, trappers are just taking the tail of the dragon on this issue!!
    It's a big state, lots of game, lots of other places, my hard work, my family has....ect ect. This is all old hat. If trappers can't find ways to avoid sabotaging likes to maintain an area maybe it's time for trapline registration like bear bait stations? Don't know when to tell you folks. Just cause you've been pissing on the same stump since you were three don't make it your stump. The days of old Alaska are gone. Room for everyone to have their 40 year traditions are gone. The sooner we figure that out and adapt the longer our lifestyle will survive. Fight it and it'll just disappear.
    I apperacate your point of view BRWNBR, but that aint going to happen. The minute we give in is the day we lost. You want to play in my playground, you'd better have permission. I will DESTROY a line before I give it up to someone that has done no work to it.

No one said we had to see eye to eye. No worries.
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast