Thread: Delorme Inreach Rebates

Default Delorme Inreach Rebates

I was at Three Bears tonight and noticed a display at the firearms counter advertising $75 and $50 rebates on the Delorme Inreach units. While it's not a sat phone it's the next best thing. Delorme has service plans that you can turn off when not needed. Might be time to think of someone's Christmas stocking...

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/holiday/index.php

Requires activation by 12/31/2015. I have no financial interest, just a very satisfied user.

Awesome info. Thanks. I plan on getting one after our last deer hunting adventure. Nothing more unnerving than not making it home when planned and not have a cell signal to let the wife know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I've been using one for about the last 5 years and have been very happy with it. I now have the Explorer and carry it everywhere. It's nice to be able to stay in contact when you need to. And the price over a sat phone is a lot less

Living like kings

Does this product work well to replace a GPS.

I currently own an old GPS from like 15 years ago and it contains nothing fancy but works for what I need it for (set a waypoint and navigate to it). I'm looking to upgrade to a new GPS unit and I saw this product and really liked the messaging ability in case of an emergency and I need to signal for help. Any thoughts? I'm not looking for a top of the line, touch screen, fancy color screen, super expensive GPS unit.

Quote Originally Posted by seeth07 View Post
    Does this product work well to replace a GPS.

I currently own an old GPS from like 15 years ago and it contains nothing fancy but works for what I need it for (set a waypoint and navigate to it). I'm looking to upgrade to a new GPS unit and I saw this product and really liked the messaging ability in case of an emergency and I need to signal for help. Any thoughts? I'm not looking for a top of the line, touch screen, fancy color screen, super expensive GPS unit.
    The Explorer unit will work as a GPS. You can set way points, navigate, track, location etc. It has a base map on it but does not have any sort of features to it and they can't be added. So no topo maps. But yes it makes a good gps unit.

Living like kings

Can you get a replacement battery or how can a person recharge it in the field. Specs say 100hour battery life but on a 10 day trip, that won't do.

I see it also mentions you can link it with your phone to get access to topo maps and such. Have you tried that and does it perform fairly easily and smooth?

I see it also mentions you can link it with your phone to get access to topo maps and such. Have you tried that and does it perform fairly easily and smooth?
    Yes you an link it to your phone and it works pretty easily. You have to download the app on your phone then download the maps. I think the state of Alaska topo maps are around 145mb for the entire state. If you are tracking with your Delorme and you link it to your phone it will automatically sync your Trac log so you can see where you have been which is a nice feature. I charge mine in the field with either the goal zero solar charger or the battery pack for the goal zero. Usually if I'm backpacking in somewhere I'll just bring in the battery pack and two sets of batteries and that'll get me easily through any trip with battery to spare. The battery on mine lasts for about 4-5 days and I turn mine on in the morning and off at night. It only gets shut off if I'm back at camp.

Living like kings

Do you mean "two sets of batteries" for the delorme or the goal zero?

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    I was at Three Bears tonight and noticed a display at the firearms counter advertising $75 and $50 rebates on the Delorme Inreach units. While it's not a sat phone it's the next best thing. Delorme has service plans that you can turn off when not needed. Might be time to think of someone's Christmas stocking...

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/holiday/index.php

Requires activation by 12/31/2015. I have no financial interest, just a very satisfied user.
    How much was it at Three Bears?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Use it all the time when going out: 1) to keep spouse informed, she gets a link via text so she can real time track and is nervous when I am alone, an 2) so I can later see where was on satellite pic for future adventures. Bluetooth connection w/ phone is handy feature to use the topo maps. Very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    How much was it at Three Bears?
    I didn't pay attention to the price, but the retail for the Explorer is $379, I think.

I travel with a battery and solar charger when I'm float hunting. It recharges the inreach in half a day of direct sunshine.

I also have a very old Garmin GPS unit. Frankly it is a better tool for navigation than the inreach, although updates to the inreach may have improved its performance. Last I looked it didn't have a 'navigate to' capability for waypoints.

My use model for the inreach now is for daily checkins, and the occasional period of tracking. The ability to share your location online with the web site is pretty darn amazing. This is what BeaV used on his canoe trip across Alaska a couple years ago, and we all could see his progress on the web.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Do you mean "two sets of batteries" for the delorme or the goal zero?
    Two sets for the goal zero, the inreach does not have a removable battery. When buying extra rechargeable batteries make sure that you get the ones that will hold a charge for an extended time. Some rechargeable batteries are made to buy used right away but some will hold a charge for a long time. Those are the ones you want or you will find yourself with dead batteries that self discharge.

Living like kings

The Explorer has navigate to capabilities I'm not sure about the other model

Living like kings

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    The Explorer has navigate to capabilities I'm not sure about the other model

Living like kings
    Thanks Tony, it's been a couple years since I tried to use it for that purpose. It's an amazing device, and may be a lot more capable now. My unit has had a few firmware updates so I really need to test its limits. I bought mine as an alternative to a sat phone. For anyone considering one as an alternative to a GPS I would recommend taking one for a test drive. It won't have the capabilities of a Garmin Montana but it may meet your needs.

Personally I think these are better than a sat phone. I always have mine on track so when I'm alone my wife can see exactly where I'm at so if I don't show up or contact her she at least knows where to send someone to look. Also way lighter and smaller than the sat phones I'm used to using.

Living like kings

I just gotta say these things are waaaaaay cool! A few minutes ago I just got a text message on my phone that Tony (above) just killed his first ram! Pretty neat to know that he is up there right now as I am typing this taking care of a beautiful critter.....and from the looks of it probably on a beautiful day as well. You just know he's on cloud 9...!!! Pics and story coming soon I'm sure.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I always text my wife/kids whenever I go on a stalk, they then just tiptoe around the house waiting for the next note!! Either dad scored and is coming home or dads now really tired and has to keep working! Fun to keep them involved in what's happening in the field.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212