Thread: "NIGHT VISION" Equipment........thoughts, experience, advise, whatever...???

Default "NIGHT VISION" Equipment........thoughts, experience, advise, whatever...???

I am interested in learning about Night Vision Equipment. What works, what does NOT work, what is a good price point for entry....????

Especially interested in what does NOT work very well in arctic conditions.

Thank You, for any feed back.

Ive had US Milsurp AN PVS5a's NVGs and Russian milsurp PVN 57e, and OH1x20's goggles, both work great in the Arctic AGL4now, but the Russian ones have an extention cord so the batteries can be warm in yer jacket, while the US NVG goggles were much more comfortable to wear.

Find 'em on E-bay.

Put em on and watch a metor shower, and see hundreds of them an hour.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Not much response..............Hmmmmmmmm.

I have used US and Russian, The Russian has a much more powerful IR Illuminator, so you can see much farther in pure darkness, about 200 meters. The US unit, only about 75 meters in pure darkness. $ spent according to where you purchase them. Just a night vision, or starlite scope only uses the available light, the IR illuminator will let you see in complete darkness. very interesting to see animals react to vehicles in the dark, some will just move into the treeline then back out to feed on the right of way.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    This is the third or forth time you ask the same question could be one reason.

Could be because this is a hunting forum.... Try some military forum or maybe those airsoft wannabe operator forums. I have a used pvs7's a aliitle and they were pretty crappy and i used the 14's a whole bunch and they were better. Also not sure what your uses are going to be, but if it involves shooting your going to want an ir laser too..

Oh.....Look.....a new ankle'bitter........Welcome to the forum "NEWBE"........

[QUOTE=BenC;1513058]Could be because this is a hunting forum.... Try some military forum or maybe those airsoft wannabe operator forums. QUOTE]

That's a huge question. What are you looking to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Predator hunting........

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    That's a huge question. What are you looking to do?

I am interested in learning about Night Vision Equipment. What works, what does NOT work, what is a good price point for entry....????

Especially interested in what does NOT work very well in arctic conditions.

Thank You, for any feed back.
    Don't have much to compare my night vision monocular side by side to. Prior to purchasing my monocular, I checked out the Gen. 1 and Gen 2 monoculars and wasn't very impressed with them. The more money you put out, the better quality you get; just like binoculars. I've got an ATN Gen. 3 NVM14. No problem with the cold when I use it, but I don't have it out all night either. It's powered by a lithium battery so it's not as bad as a standard set of batteries that are more susceptible to the cold. My unit has a focusing ring, diopter adjustment, an I/R illuminator and I have a universal head mount. Operating conditions are from -40' to 122'. Check out the link below for more info.
    I enjoyed seeing moose moving around in the dark and I've also seen white snowshoe hares bounding ahead of me on a snowy trail. No real applications for hunting with a unit like this as you know, but if you wanted to walk out to your hunting spot in near total darkness before any hint of daylight was on the horizon; this unit would be perfect for the job.
    Looking skyward, you'll be amazed at the galaxies of stars stacked up on each other that illuminates the heavens. I don't use mine as much as I thought I would, but don't regret purchasing it. Will be using it this winter.

http://www.atncorp.com/atn-nvm14-3-n...sion-monocular

I've had good luck with both a Raptor and head mounted PVS14, but neither were used in cold weather. If going with a monocular I run it on my left eye (I shoot right handed) and use a white light to illuminate the target before I shoot. I'd go with a Raptor for predator hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, How do you think it would be weapon mounted with a Red Dot type optic.........???

Quote Originally Posted by Trapak View Post
    Don't have much to compare my night vision monocular side by side to. Prior to purchasing my monocular, I checked out the Gen. 1 and Gen 2 monoculars and wasn't very impressed with them. The more money you put out, the better quality you get; just like binoculars. I've got an ATN Gen. 3 NVM14. No problem with the cold when I use it, but I don't have it out all night either. It's powered by a lithium battery so it's not as bad as a standard set of batteries that are more susceptible to the cold. My unit has a focusing ring, diopter adjustment, an I/R illuminator and I have a universal head mount. Operating conditions are from -40' to 122'. Check out the link below for more info.
    I enjoyed seeing moose moving around in the dark and I've also seen white snowshoe hares bounding ahead of me on a snowy trail. No real applications for hunting with a unit like this as you know, but if you wanted to walk out to your hunting spot in near total darkness before any hint of daylight was on the horizon; this unit would be perfect for the job.
    Looking skyward, you'll be amazed at the galaxies of stars stacked up on each other that illuminates the heavens. I don't use mine as much as I thought I would, but don't regret purchasing it. Will be using it this winter.

http://www.atncorp.com/atn-nvm14-3-n...sion-monocular

Check this out, great site, TONS of info...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com...Board=3&page=1
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    Check this out, great site, TONS of info...
    http://www.predatormastersforums.com...Board=3&page=1

Agreed. That's where I've been getting most info on night hunting equipment. Member Skypup has lots of cool stuff.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Thread BUMP.........still thirsting for information.

I wonder if it's legal to hunt 4-legged varmints using night vision scopes in Alaska? Just curious

http://www.thermalvisionrentals.com/...ting-laws.html

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....SX-Performance

Read this thread. It's about barnes tsx's and pigs but he hunts w/ night vision and the thread evolves throughout his night vision optic changes

Thanks, I am only up to page 8 but his is the same as everyone else experience with NVG. The big problem it seems is that it is so much fun, that you quickly want to up-grade your gear for even more fun. The one thing I have learned is, make your entry price point as high as you can endure the pain. Stated differently the next higher price piece of gear is not just a "LITTLE" better, it is quantum better.

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....SX-Performance

Read this thread. It's about barnes tsx's and pigs but he hunts w/ night vision and the thread evolves throughout his night vision optic changes

I would like to thank a special member of this forum, who has tirelessly helped me with this decision (And his PM box is full, which is very likely my fault).

A decision has been made, and the order has been placed.

Thanks everyone for your input.

What did you decide on?