Thread: Haul Road worth it late in season?

Default Haul Road worth it late in season?

I haven't made it up to the North Slope yet, finally completed all my certifications. Seems like with the greatly reduced daylight period, and now a good bit restricted to hunting on the East side, is it still worth it to go up this time of year? I live in Fairbanks, so it is not as far, but still quite the commitment.

Weather looks good for the coming week, so I am not too worried about temperatures.

Thank you for the advice.

I hunted Mid Nov about 10 years ago. Weather was relatively mild by luck. We found a large herd on the Chandler shelf as you enter the pass and hunted it for several days. Good hunt, but we lucky. Lots of time sitting in the camper.

Two weekends ago, I killed a nice mule deer buck out of my treestand. I went out despite knowing that the wind was generally wrong for which direction I figured the deer would be coming. Moral of the story is, you can't tag up from the couch.

I'm headed up Monday, I'll report when I get back.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

A little late reply. I ended up going out to the 40 mile herd, but plan on headed up the haul road this weekend. Anyone been up there lately?

Here's an update for anyone wanting to do a early north slope trip. I just got back, saw nothing at finger mountain. First signs of life were musk ox at pump station 3. Saw caribou it at the ice cut in between pump 2 and 3. Tried to chase them down but no luck. Another group of hunters I talked to in coldfoot also said they saw a big heard at the ice cut.

I am heading up the first weekend in April, weather permitting. I will be rifle hunting with pack or sled and snowshoes. Anyone that might be interested send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner 19 View Post
    I am heading up the first weekend in April, weather permitting. I will be rifle hunting with pack or sled and snowshoes. Anyone that might be interested send me a PM.
    You may want to check into the regs some more. You are not allowed to use any snow machines or 4 wheelers

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    You may want to check into the regs some more. You are not allowed to use any snow machines or 4 wheelers
    I think you're allowed to hunt with a sled.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jayz12 View Post
    I think you're allowed to hunt with a sled.....
    Heres what the reg states::

Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area (DHCMA)
    Units 20, 24, 25, and 26 extending ve miles from each side of the Dalton Highway, including the driveable surface of the DaltonHighway, from the Yukon River to the Arctic Ocean, and including the Prudhoe Bay Closed Area. The area within the PrudhoeBay Closed Area is closed to the taking of big game; the remainder of the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area is closed tohunting; however, big game, small game, and fur animals may be taken in the area by bow and arrow only. Small game may alsobe taken by falconry. Aircraft and boats may be used to transport hunters, their gear, or parts of game within the Dalton HighwayCorridor Management Area. A snowmachine may be used to transport hunters, their hunting gear, or parts of game across themanagement area from land outside the management area to access land on the other side of the management area. No motorizedland vehicle may be used to transport hunters, their hunting gear, or parts of game, within the Dalton Highway Corridor ManagementArea, EXCEPT licensed highway vehicles may be used on the following designated roads: 1) Dalton Highway; 2) Bettles WinterTrail during periods when BLM and the City of Bettles announce that the trail is open to winter travel; 3) Galbraith Lake road fromthe Dalton Highway to the BLM campground at Galbraith Lake, including the gravel pit access road when the gate is open; 4) ToolikLake Road, excluding the driveway to the Toolik Lake Research Facility; 5) The Sagavanirktok River access road two miles northof Pump Station 2; 6) any constructed roadway or gravel pit within 1/4 mile of the Dalton Highway. Any hunter traveling on theDalton Highway must stop at any check station operated by the department within the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area.

So if you are driving up the haul road, you will be within management area so no snow machines are allowed. If somehow you start outside the corridor and hunt on the opposite side of the corridor then your good. Since this is a haul road thread, I am assuming he would be on the haul road starting out, so that's a no-go.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    Heres what the reg states::

Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area (DHCMA)
    Units 20, 24, 25, and 26 extending ve miles from each side of the Dalton Highway, including the driveable surface of the DaltonHighway, from the Yukon River to the Arctic Ocean, and including the Prudhoe Bay Closed Area. The area within the PrudhoeBay Closed Area is closed to the taking of big game; the remainder of the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area is closed tohunting; however, big game, small game, and fur animals may be taken in the area by bow and arrow only. Small game may alsobe taken by falconry. Aircraft and boats may be used to transport hunters, their gear, or parts of game within the Dalton HighwayCorridor Management Area. A snowmachine may be used to transport hunters, their hunting gear, or parts of game across themanagement area from land outside the management area to access land on the other side of the management area. No motorizedland vehicle may be used to transport hunters, their hunting gear, or parts of game, within the Dalton Highway Corridor ManagementArea, EXCEPT licensed highway vehicles may be used on the following designated roads: 1) Dalton Highway; 2) Bettles WinterTrail during periods when BLM and the City of Bettles announce that the trail is open to winter travel; 3) Galbraith Lake road fromthe Dalton Highway to the BLM campground at Galbraith Lake, including the gravel pit access road when the gate is open; 4) ToolikLake Road, excluding the driveway to the Toolik Lake Research Facility; 5) The Sagavanirktok River access road two miles northof Pump Station 2; 6) any constructed roadway or gravel pit within 1/4 mile of the Dalton Highway. Any hunter traveling on theDalton Highway must stop at any check station operated by the department within the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area.

So if you are driving up the haul road, you will be within management area so no snow machines are allowed. If somehow you start outside the corridor and hunt on the opposite side of the corridor then your good. Since this is a haul road thread, I am assuming he would be on the haul road starting out, so that's a no-go.
    He means pulling a tow sled while he's on snowshoes man.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    He means pulling a tow sled while he's on snowshoes man.
    Your right, I'm an idiot. I read 'snowshoes' as snow machine. My bad.

Walking out with snowshoes and pulling a plastic sled. A snow machine would take all the fun out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner 19 View Post
    Walking out with snowshoes and pulling a plastic sled. A snow machine would take all the fun out of it.
    I've had buddies do it on skis before, they shot caribou, be very careful out there and bring a buddy! It can still get cold and after pulling a caribou around you can find yourself in a do or die situation very easily.

Be careful north of Atigun. The weather is changing from warm, to snow, to cool, to warm, to cool. Making the road pretty friggin' slick.
    Just had 4 guys in a crew cab Duramax roll their truck down by Toolik 2 days ago. Thankfully AK DOT found them and helped them out. The truck stayed on it's lid over night til Delta Leasing from PBay got a truck down there and recovered them yesterday. The truck will cost $1200 to ship back to Los Anchorage. The guys (who just spent an additional $120 ea at the PBay hotel), will most likely lease a truck from Delta at $150 p/day and drive on home.
    Compared to AK AIR one way at $385 a head.. That's cheap..
    On another note, the Sag is starting to rise and fall right now. Even after the road lift last season, the water is already right up or very close too the roads edge in places. If it goes out and you're on the northside of it, I just hope you're not in a hurry to get home..
    But hey, they did say that they saw some caribou, but they were spread out and about 50 total.
    So,just a heads up..

Thanks for the info. Probably not going to make it out until the fall.