Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Floats without a Lake Hood Slip

  1. #1

    Default Floats without a Lake Hood Slip

    New pilot, never been on floats, don't even have a set yet, just wondering if it's worth even looking for a set.

    What are options for flying on floats out of Anchorage if you don't have a Lake Hood slip or a house on a lake? Launch and retrieve everytime? Looks like very few transient spots available.

    Thanks for any info!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tightwaad Airranch
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Every once in a while a slip will come up for lease but not often. Last year the Aviation Museum offered two slips and they were gone immediately. Some take advantage of public parking and stay all summer, not cool. I opted for a dry spot next to a hangar on the west shore and have to get somebody to put me in and take out. Not a big deal but hard to find anybody working on weekends. I'll probably buy a trailer this spring. Runs $70 dollars in and out however the plane is at the cabin most of the time so it's not that big of a deal. Being on floats is a joy for me and I'll do whatever it takes. Number 912 on the list!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #3

    Default

    Getting a slip at lake hood, a hangar at merril or really doing anything in the muni of anchorage is an absolute nightmare. The houses on Campbell lake go for over a million just because of their float access on the lake. The valley is where its at to really do anything aviation related unless your super rich. Get a cheap Toyota car to run miles up on to get out there to fly. If I were to add up my time, differential between the costs to put a plane and the little car it would probably take the rest of my life to recover the extra costs of operating out of anchorage. Its just not worth it until lots of people start leaving and drive the costs down.

    You could do wheel floats but they are outrageously expensive and add a lot of weight. Taking your plane in and out all the time with a trailer is risking damage as well.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Just get a trailer and launch & retrieve....obviously lots of folks do it and despite the naysayers, it just ain't that big of a deal. PITA, yes, but certainly not a reason to avoid going on floats if floats are of interest......and if one is flying in Southcentral, floats should be of interest. Strategic decision years ago not to do floats on my part, but that might have something to do with having pretty easy access to my buddies' C-185's in slips.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    If I were to add up my time, differential between the costs to put a plane and the little car it would probably take the rest of my life to recover the extra costs of operating out of anchorage. Its just not worth it until lots of people start leaving and drive the costs down.
    I agree if you have to have a hangar, but I'm quite happy with my tie down spot at Merrill, it's not that bad and I'd rather fly for 3 hours than fly one and drive one each way. If enough people left town to lower the cost of hangars, my business would be in trouble and I probably wouldn't be able to afford to fly anyway.

    Just exploring options now. Floats would pretty much make my J3 a one man plane so it's a big sacrifice even though they are of interest. If you have your own trailer, I assume you would just get a regular tie down spot and park the trailer there. I'm good with a trailer, so not too worried, no different than a boat, risk of damage is acceptable, IMHO when you're not using it anything that floats is safer on dry land.

  6. #6

    Default

    Driving back and forth can be a pain but my family lives out there too. Also since my plane has to be hangared I either drive to fly or I don't fly at all. Having my own hangar would be nice too because then I have some privacy which is always nice, seems like in aviation everyone is up in everyone elses buisenss which is annoying. Its one thing to vent on a forum but I don't want random people approaching me when I am doing pre flighting or fueling etc.

    What if you built a hangar near a lake in the valley, I cant imagine that you enjoy going out and sweeping snow or worrying about wind storms?

    Quote Originally Posted by BQuad View Post
    I agree if you have to have a hangar, but I'm quite happy with my tie down spot at Merrill, it's not that bad and I'd rather fly for 3 hours than fly one and drive one each way. If enough people left town to lower the cost of hangars, my business would be in trouble and I probably wouldn't be able to afford to fly anyway.

    Just exploring options now. Floats would pretty much make my J3 a one man plane so it's a big sacrifice even though they are of interest. If you have your own trailer, I assume you would just get a regular tie down spot and park the trailer there. I'm good with a trailer, so not too worried, no different than a boat, risk of damage is acceptable, IMHO when you're not using it anything that floats is safer on dry land.

  7. #7

    Default

    I can not imagine anyone wanting to talk to you once you open your antisocial negative mouth.. Hell I can't even stand to see your posts here..

    Just like many visit here to share and learn, many like to visit and share in person at the airfield... You are really a miserable piece of work and I for one would really enjoy your absence from this forum. You clearly do not like us, our views, opinions or ideals.. you are a one man band that plays ****ty music.. go sit in your room and talk to yourself in the mirror and leave the rest of us alone.

    Thats all I want for Christmas..

    Tom


    Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Driving back and forth can be a pain but my family lives out there too. Also since my plane has to be hangared I either drive to fly or I don't fly at all. Having my own hangar would be nice too because then I have some privacy which is always nice, seems like in aviation everyone is up in everyone elses buisenss which is annoying. Its one thing to vent on a forum but I don't want random people approaching me when I am doing pre flighting or fueling etc.

    What if you built a hangar near a lake in the valley, I cant imagine that you enjoy going out and sweeping snow or worrying about wind storms?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Hey, Creset Hills, do you mean CresCeNt Hills? Just askin' . . . ?

    I think you might cut rppearso a little slack. After all, he does fly a Pitts. Can you? Kind of a tough little airplane to fly, ya know.

    There are times when I don't agree with his posts; and sometimes when I think he just appears to be full of nonsense. But I don't have to agree with some of the things he says. That doesn't mean I would correct in attacking him personally. As to opinions, they are like noses: each of us has an one. Where is it written that we all must have the same opinions? He's certainly allowed to have his own, as you are. It's all right for you to attack his opinions. It ISN'T all right for you to attack him personally. Of course, that's just MY opinion.

    Rppearso has earned his place in life as an engineer. As a former architect, I can tell you that it took one helluva lot of energy and intelligence to earn his way into that profession. He worked hard, saved his money, and finally was able to buy his dream airplane: A Pitts! Gotta hand him a lot of credit for that, I'd say.

    The above represents only my opinion. It seems to disagree with yours. I trust that difference in our opinions doesn't encourage you to attack my character . . . . .

  9. #9

    Default

    As for my screen name, you are correct. The second C is missing. Years ago during set up of this account I slipped and missed the C and after completion of the set up process I could not change it without setting up a new log in. So I just left it.

    As for the rest of your post. We can disagree that is for certain and we do. I don't hold it against you. My "attack" as you refer to it is only directed at Ron. Ron has no problem "attacking" all of us and anyone else that views and opinions different from his. We are all the problem in aviation. Mechanics, fellow pilots, casual observers, aspiring pilots, realtors & developers... just ask him or read his posts.

    But I applaud you, you are the first to stand up and defend your fellow engineer buddy Ron on this forum. Based on my overflowing reputation box comments after my last two posts in reference to rppearso I would safely say that I am not alone in my thoughts or feelings.

    Tom



    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Hey, Creset Hills, do you mean CresCeNt Hills? Just askin' . . . ?

    I think you might cut rppearso a little slack. After all, he does fly a Pitts. Can you? Kind of a tough little airplane to fly, ya know.

    There are times when I don't agree with his posts; and sometimes when I think he just appears to be full of nonsense. But I don't have to agree with some of the things he says. That doesn't mean I would correct in attacking him personally. As to opinions, they are like noses: each of us has an one. Where is it written that we all must have the same opinions? He's certainly allowed to have his own, as you are. It's all right for you to attack his opinions. It ISN'T all right for you to attack him personally. Of course, that's just MY opinion.

    Rppearso has earned his place in life as an engineer. As a former architect, I can tell you that it took one helluva lot of energy and intelligence to earn his way into that profession. He worked hard, saved his money, and finally was able to buy his dream airplane: A Pitts! Gotta hand him a lot of credit for that, I'd say.

    The above represents only my opinion. It seems to disagree with yours. I trust that difference in our opinions doesn't encourage you to attack my character . . . . .

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Rppearso and I are neither "fellow engineers" nor is he my "buddy." I've never met him. He's just another low-time Alaska airplane driver to me. Probably you are as well, but I don't know your flying experience level. In any event, and while I might disagree with some of your flying techniques, I would never make a run at either your character nor your opinions.

    As for his "attacking" any of the rest of us, I can only say that "two wrongs don't make a right." I just think that bad-mouthing him personally on account of his personal opinions is bad manners. I've criticized almost every one of his statements, but I stay away from assaulting his personality or his presumed character. I would certainly show you that same courtesy.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    315

    Default

    I don't have a dog in this hunt, but one in a kennel nearby:

    - I don't know rppearso or Cresent Hills;
    - That being said, I get a bellyful of most of rppearso's "opinions":
    - These "opinions" almost universally contain what I would generously characterize as negative insinuations about _______: fill in the blank: contractors, attorneys, hangar owners, people that don't understand his specific needs, homeowners, you name it.
    - As I said, a generous characterization of the "opinions" would be as "negative insinuations": a less generous characterization would be "attacks", as Cresent Hills is being accused of;
    -Grizzly2 states that rppearso should be given credit for earning his place in life; I agree 100%. No ifs ands or buts. Would it be unreasonable to ask rppearso to extend the same courtesy and credit to others that have earned their place in life? Even those that own (or did own) a house on the Los Anchorage hillside, a hangar, or something besides a Pitts?
    - My azz is currently (and will be for far longer than I want) in Texas because I've elected to sacrifice time in Alaska to get some $$. I spent time in Texas and Washington state while earning both a degree in mechanical engineering and a J.D. and I'm very (very!) familiar with the cost, effort, and sacrifice it takes to get those degrees or similar degrees.
    - .......and I'll readily admit that I get darn tired of negative opinions and complaints about those of us that sacrificed to buy hangers, homes, etc...and the insinuation that by doing that "we" have conspired to somehow bar rppearso from doing the same thing.

    Rant over.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pa12drvr View Post
    I don't have a dog in this hunt, but one in a kennel nearby:

    - I don't know rppearso or Cresent Hills;
    - That being said, I get a bellyful of most of rppearso's "opinions":
    - These "opinions" almost universally contain what I would generously characterize as negative insinuations about _______: fill in the blank: contractors, attorneys, hangar owners, people that don't understand his specific needs, homeowners, you name it.
    - As I said, a generous characterization of the "opinions" would be as "negative insinuations": a less generous characterization would be "attacks", as Cresent Hills is being accused of;
    -Grizzly2 states that rppearso should be given credit for earning his place in life; I agree 100%. No ifs ands or buts. Would it be unreasonable to ask rppearso to extend the same courtesy and credit to others that have earned their place in life? Even those that own (or did own) a house on the Los Anchorage hillside, a hangar, or something besides a Pitts?
    - My azz is currently (and will be for far longer than I want) in Texas because I've elected to sacrifice time in Alaska to get some $$. I spent time in Texas and Washington state while earning both a degree in mechanical engineering and a J.D. and I'm very (very!) familiar with the cost, effort, and sacrifice it takes to get those degrees or similar degrees.
    - .......and I'll readily admit that I get darn tired of negative opinions and complaints about those of us that sacrificed to buy hangers, homes, etc...and the insinuation that by doing that "we" have conspired to somehow bar rppearso from doing the same thing.

    Rant over.

    Most articulate and very well stated.

    With 22,000 PIC hours under pilot harnesses, most of which were Alaska bush flying hours, I hope I might have something to sometimes offer to rppearso in the matter of flying techniques. I am perhaps wise enough to evaluate his personality, but am wide enough to never attempt to change any part of his character that I might (personally) consider deficient. At the heart of the matter is the fact that neither his character nor his attitude is any of my business.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    315

    Default

    "With 22,000 PIC hours under pilot harnesses, most of which were Alaska bush flying hours, I hope I might have something to sometimes offer to rppearso in the matter of flying techniques. I am perhaps wise enough to evaluate his personality, but am wide enough to never attempt to change any part of his character that I might (personally) consider deficient. At the heart of the matter is the fact that neither his character nor his attitude is any of my business."

    Two caveats for the assertion to follow: a) I haven't yet met a plane that couldn't fly better than me; and b) I've only met a very very small number of pilots that I felt I could fly as well as, nevermind "better than":

    However, there aren't many questions posted by the person in question about flying or airplanes; instead, a quick skim of a recent post reveals:
    - "....doing anything in the muni is a real nightmare": That's an opinion. One with which I disagree completely. PITA, yes, but eminently do-able and not a nightmare. FWIW, the field manager, accounting people, and related others at Merrill have been incredibly easy to deal with compared to others at some airports in the Ewe-stun area.
    - "The houses on Campbell lake....just because of their float access to the lake": Opinion....that may very well be incorrect; the cost might also have something to do with the average size of houses thereon;
    - "The valley is [for aviation]....unless your (sic) super rich": Horsefeathers.
    - After a statement that another poster was happy with his outside tiedown at Merrill "...I can't imagine that you enjoy...": No imagination needed. The other poster said he was happy with his tie-down spot. A bit of an insinuation right there.

    Few questions offered regarding which side of the valley to fly in in turbulence or how to deal with ice fog or how to deal with black ice on a runway.

    Bottom line is that no one's (outside of people I care about) character or attitude are my business. When the only thing provided on this public forum is attitude (from which character might be indeed presumed, but reasonably presumed), that attitude is hard to ignore.

    Guess my rant wasn't over earlier....but it is now. Whether one is in Big Lake, Los Anchorage, the Valley, or re-located elsewhere, enjoy flying and the outdoors. A nice office in Houston is still just an office.

  14. #14

    Default

    Just to be clear I fully intent to earn my own hangar. Thank you grizz for your posts, my being viewed as negative is really just me not pulling any punches when I see intellectual dishonesty. When new and aspiring pilots come on here the group here grossly over sugar coats things. Also to be clear I don't pander and if I find someone is trying to take advantage because they have the supply/demand leverage I wont hesitate to be an a hole, because if you are already trying to hold me over a barrel then I will torch the bridge with you and never do buisenss with you again, I will order parts out of state if I have too. There are some really great people in aviation up here, but there are also some really not great people and unfortunately I got to meet some of the scum first (namely at Wasilla airport). I am still good friends with one guy out there as well as the troopers but some of the other pilots out there are pieces of work and I had the unfortunate displeasure of doing business out there. It was mostly do to the fact that a guy retired and then I had to deal with some POS's including the hangar owner. Once I get back into the swing of things I will have to reset my attitude but when your 80k asset in in a hangar full of dbags (with the exception of my instructor) and your having to deal with it it puts a bad taste in your mouth.

    Or when someone almost hits you in the talkeetna pattern and then has the nerve to condescendingly talk to you like a child as if they own the airport and cut the trees down for the strip with their own hands. that sort of behavior gets tiresome.

    but grizz is right it does not justify my behavior, now that I am away from the negativity I need to get myself set up properly so I can adjust my attitude.

    South central 2015 is not south central 1960 anymore. Costs have skyrocketed and anyone that bought in back in the day have no idea what it takes for the new guys to buy in.

  15. #15

    Default

    Yes they are my opinion as are most everything posted on a forum. However, my opinions are based in facts and experences and I add the cavats and assumptions as well. Yes, if you are truly ok with a tie down then most of my points are actually moot.

    Quote Originally Posted by pa12drvr View Post
    "With 22,000 PIC hours under pilot harnesses, most of which were Alaska bush flying hours, I hope I might have something to sometimes offer to rppearso in the matter of flying techniques. I am perhaps wise enough to evaluate his personality, but am wide enough to never attempt to change any part of his character that I might (personally) consider deficient. At the heart of the matter is the fact that neither his character nor his attitude is any of my business."

    Two caveats for the assertion to follow: a) I haven't yet met a plane that couldn't fly better than me; and b) I've only met a very very small number of pilots that I felt I could fly as well as, nevermind "better than":

    However, there aren't many questions posted by the person in question about flying or airplanes; instead, a quick skim of a recent post reveals:
    - "....doing anything in the muni is a real nightmare": That's an opinion. One with which I disagree completely. PITA, yes, but eminently do-able and not a nightmare. FWIW, the field manager, accounting people, and related others at Merrill have been incredibly easy to deal with compared to others at some airports in the Ewe-stun area.
    - "The houses on Campbell lake....just because of their float access to the lake": Opinion....that may very well be incorrect; the cost might also have something to do with the average size of houses thereon;
    - "The valley is [for aviation]....unless your (sic) super rich": Horsefeathers.
    - After a statement that another poster was happy with his outside tiedown at Merrill "...I can't imagine that you enjoy...": No imagination needed. The other poster said he was happy with his tie-down spot. A bit of an insinuation right there.

    Few questions offered regarding which side of the valley to fly in in turbulence or how to deal with ice fog or how to deal with black ice on a runway.

    Bottom line is that no one's (outside of people I care about) character or attitude are my business. When the only thing provided on this public forum is attitude (from which character might be indeed presumed, but reasonably presumed), that attitude is hard to ignore.

    Guess my rant wasn't over earlier....but it is now. Whether one is in Big Lake, Los Anchorage, the Valley, or re-located elsewhere, enjoy flying and the outdoors. A nice office in Houston is still just an office.

  16. #16

    Default

    It just occurred to me that you, an Alaskan, referred to another Alaskan, me, as "anti social". I just got a good laugh out of that. That's like the pot calling the kettle black. Alaska is the definition of anti social. I might be a little more anti social than you but I highly doubt you are a Manhattan socialite yourself lol. All I want for Christmas is to be able to fly, land, taxi and park in peace next year without all the scuttle butt on the ramp, which now that I am away from Wasilla airport should be doable. I don't mind some drama on here because I can just click the little black X at the top of the screen but when I am standing on the ramp at Wasilla I had to listen to all the bolony.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    I can not imagine anyone wanting to talk to you once you open your antisocial negative mouth.. Hell I can't even stand to see your posts here..

    Just like many visit here to share and learn, many like to visit and share in person at the airfield... You are really a miserable piece of work and I for one would really enjoy your absence from this forum. You clearly do not like us, our views, opinions or ideals.. you are a one man band that plays ****ty music.. go sit in your room and talk to yourself in the mirror and leave the rest of us alone.

    Thats all I want for Christmas..

    Tom

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    I don't think I'm out of line in reminding you two that this site is primarily for Alaska flying stuff. The site has a neat feature called "Private Messages." That might be a better place for you to air your tangential arguments, character assassinations, and questionable off-topic chatter . . . . .

  18. #18

    Default

    Just for the record, I am very happy with my tie-down spot and don't mind sweeping the snow when it needs done, sweep my car (wife gets the garage) and the plow truck every morning it's needed, will sweep the plane if needed, just part of what needs done. Merill is lucky in it's location, it's one of the calmest spots in Anchorage, so wind there is rarely as strong as it is at my house.

    Reason I don't have a garage big enough to park in is the same reason I don't have a hangar, have other priorities. You have made getting yourself a hangar a priority, seriously good for you, don't know anyone who would turn down a hangar, totally get all the benefits.

    While it's good not to sugar coat things for new pilots, realize that you really don't NEED a hangar and it is pretty easy to tie down your plane in Anchorage. Most people either have not had, or haven't been as bothered by, the negative experiences you have had. IMHO, your negativity may make someone considering buying a plane or learning to fly in Anchorage reconsider it, which would be a tragedy. Despite the FAA, the Muni and occasional bad apple, I think we all agree, the flying makes it worth it.

  19. #19

    Default

    I totally agree with you which is why I still have my plane. The muni and FAA are just one part of the issues. There are often times issues getting parts without getting totally fleeced which usually involves ordering things from out of state and/or dealing with the limited hours of the aviation businesses if you need a consumable like oil or something (they are great great people but they are open while most people are at work). I just think people need to know what they are getting into when they own a plane. Also if people find out your constructing a hangar the price of everything more than triples, a 20$ napa part suddenly costs over 100$, if you balk you get the "its expensive to fly" mantra.

    When your at land and sea and can book your flights online and just roll up and go fly that is not reality (unless all you want to do is fly Cessna 150), land and sea makes getting your license super smooth and they are really the only place in Alaska that has a legitimate training school where the instructors are owners are not doing it super part time.

    you know you could buy a 2 car garage and then you can both park in the garage, the last thing I want to do when I drag out of bed is scrape ice off my windows lol. Also if retirement is your other priority you can just sell everything off when your too old to fly, that's the only way you can really buy a nice pitts S2B lol.

    The lake hood slips are just another example of the asininely skewed supply/demand issues, I could not even imagine being #900 something in line for a "coveted" slip, its just really dramatic.

    Quote Originally Posted by BQuad View Post
    Just for the record, I am very happy with my tie-down spot and don't mind sweeping the snow when it needs done, sweep my car (wife gets the garage) and the plow truck every morning it's needed, will sweep the plane if needed, just part of what needs done. Merill is lucky in it's location, it's one of the calmest spots in Anchorage, so wind there is rarely as strong as it is at my house.

    Reason I don't have a garage big enough to park in is the same reason I don't have a hangar, have other priorities. You have made getting yourself a hangar a priority, seriously good for you, don't know anyone who would turn down a hangar, totally get all the benefits.

    While it's good not to sugar coat things for new pilots, realize that you really don't NEED a hangar and it is pretty easy to tie down your plane in Anchorage. Most people either have not had, or haven't been as bothered by, the negative experiences you have had. IMHO, your negativity may make someone considering buying a plane or learning to fly in Anchorage reconsider it, which would be a tragedy. Despite the FAA, the Muni and occasional bad apple, I think we all agree, the flying makes it worth it.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    69

    Default

    BQuad,
    at the risk of returning this thread back to the original topic, you can rent float slips at fire lake in eagle river for the summer. dont know the current price but am sure it is a lot less than lake hood. i keep my plane there for the summer at a private dock. there is fuel available on the lake. the downside is that it is a relatively short lake so you have to know your limits well. the other downside is that there is public access and on sunny summer days the middle of the lake can be covered with boats, kayaks and yahoos. have to be ready for go-arounds. you can look up D&C firelake flying club and they can tell you what they charge for slips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •