Thread: Interesting New Piece from Ruger for Ptarmigan Shooting?

Default Interesting New Piece from Ruger for Ptarmigan Shooting?

Ruger is coming out with a longer barrel version of their SR22. Cool little pistol. I have the original, shorter version. Super light. This new pistol would be a great addition with maybe increased accuracy for shooting small white heads.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html

Back in the 70's, I stumbled into the original "GunTrader" shop in Muldoon. He had a Colt "New Frontier Buntline 22LR" with a 7 1/2" barrel in his display case. I grabbed it up and have been grinning ever since. My boys and I have shot an awful lot of Snow shoe hare and Spruce grouse and Ptarmigan with that pistol. Not to mention the moose that were given a sedative in the ear when they were down but not quite out. And now we have a couple grandly-kids learning how to use it...

I've only messed around with one SR22. The pistol seemed reasonably accurate, but the trigger was straight up horrible on the one I shot- couldn't seem to get over it. I've shot a few ptarmigan and hares with my Bearcat- I kinda like having something like that along.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Back in the 70's, I stumbled into the original "GunTrader" shop in Muldoon. He had a Colt "New Frontier Buntline 22LR" with a 7 1/2" barrel in his display case. I grabbed it up and have been grinning ever since. My boys and I have shot an awful lot of Snow shoe hare and Spruce grouse and Ptarmigan with that pistol. Not to mention the moose that were given a sedative in the ear when they were down but not quite out. And now we have a couple grandly-kids learning how to use it...
    Why the apprehension to use a legal caliber?

Not legal caliber for what, dispatching a downed moose. I'm not sure the regs cover that. You can't HUNT moose with a 22lr, I'm fairly sure finishing off a downed ,ain't gonna get up moose wouldn't be called hunting.
    I think I'll stick with my MK I T

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Why not a 22? All that we (and about any farm folks) ever used to kill cattle was a 22 short, a well placed 22 short will drop a 2000lb steer instantly every time. So if you have a 22 and know where to pop a moose with it why would you use more? Just to make a gory mess of things?

As for "legal caliber" he used that to bring it down and as far as I know at that point you can legally just sit and weight or use whatever like a handgun or even a pocket knife to finish the job if you want and many ole guys did use a knife to bleed them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

To be honest I never considered it a legal issue. Twas more a matter of thrift.

Cause popping one in the head with a high power rifle at point blank makes a giant mess.

You for sure can't hunt moose with a .22LR, not so sure any LEO alive would write the ticket for delivering the coup de grace with one.

Even if he did, not so sure you'd get a judge and jury to go along as well.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Don't mean to hijack thread, but has anyone hunted upland birds with the 10-22 Charger?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I examined an SR 22, and the trigger was atrocious. I dunno why anyone would spend money on such a contraption unless they didn't know that, and didn't know about the River MK III, or the older MK lIs.

I like the River SA 22 revolvers for small game, too, but I'd never use any kind of 22 to finish off a dying game animal.

I've shot Caribou in the head with 7x57, 280, and 7mm Mag. and never made any messes.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

While I seldom see F&G on my hunts; they seem eager for an excuse to confiscate game/equipment when I do see them.

I'd just prefer to not have to put myself in a scenario like, "you shot this live moose with a 22LR" and then have to load the evidence (moose and bullet/bullet holes in the skull?) into their pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Don't mean to hijack thread, but has anyone hunted upland birds with the 10-22 Charger?
    I've been lusting for one, perhaps one will jump in my car Friday! I love the idea of throwing it in my back pack for unexpected small game opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I've been lusting for one, perhaps one will jump in my car Friday! I love the idea of throwing it in my back pack for unexpected small game opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, me too. I thought about just cutting down an old 10-22 into a pistol until I remembered that it could get me in deep doo-doo with BATFEces. Seems like such a strange law, especially since the average people person can't really tell the difference between a production SBR (such as the Charger or the Remmy XP series) and a home made one, unless they looked at the markings on the barrel.
    (No reader, I'm not going there, so don't berate me)
    How's Idaho limon?

No sir, I did not shoot that moose while he was still alive. I was just testing penetration of a 22lr on a moose skull and this was the only one handy.

I haven't tried one of those but I have shot the Ruger 22/45 Lite and it works quite good and I have a Colt (Walthers) 1911/22 that is lite, has a good trigger and shoots well. Is the SR22 a double/single action trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Is the SR22 a double/single action trigger?
    Yes, it's just like a Walther P22.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've seen a Charger in a cut down 10-22 stock. The OAL was 24" and right handy.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Well, the trigger would be a no go for me.