Thread: Rifle Barrel "PORTING".........and "ARCTIC GUNWORKS" Experiences....???

Default Rifle Barrel "PORTING".........and "ARCTIC GUNWORKS" Experiences....???

Two questions looking for advise.

1.) Any experience with ARCTIC GUNWORKS in North Pole, Alaska......???? (If negative please sent me a Private Message....???)

2.) Any recommendations for quality Rifle Barrel Porting.......???

Thank You, I am wanting to have my RUGER 77/44 ported (And likely cut and crowned to 16")

PM sent.

Steve

Had this done at http://www.magnaport.com/

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thank You for the informative PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    PM sent.

Steve

Had this done at http://www.magnaport.com/

Is that on your 325? Steve........where'd you get the ram decal or whatever it is......or did you paint that?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Is that on your 325? Steve........where'd you get the ram decal or whatever it is......or did you paint that?
    The rifle is a 375 H&H Sako Kodiak, the ram is plasma cut steel, my wife got me as a gift.
    Founding Member

Oh wow.....that is excellent...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    1.) Any experience with ARCTIC GUNWORKS in North Pole, Alaska......???? (If negative please sent me a Private Message....???)
    I imagine Steve got it clarified in his PM, but the only "Arctic Gunworks" I'm familiar with is in Fairbanks, not North Pole. Are we thinking of the same shop, or has he moved unbeknownst to me...?

Edit: (there is an "Arctic Firearms and Gunsmith" listed in North Pole)...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

PM sent.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

I know nothing about them, I simple did a search for "Barrel Porting" and it was a company that came up. Here is the website: http://www.arcticgunworks.com/main_pages/shop.htm

NOTE: I no Zero about them, just looking to get me 77/44 ported for my old'age years.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I imagine Steve got it clarified in his PM, but the only "Arctic Gunworks" I'm familiar with is in Fairbanks, not North Pole. Are we thinking of the same shop, or has he moved unbeknownst to me...?

Edit: (there is an "Arctic Firearms and Gunsmith" listed in North Pole)...

I know nothing about them, I simple did a search for "Barrel Porting" and it was a company that came up. Here is the website: http://www.arcticgunworks.com/main_pages/shop.htm
    That's Gary Junk; looks like he's moved from his Kalakaket St. location to North Pole... I wasn't aware.
    #Resist

That is Gary Junk, he has a NP mailing address, but his shop is in Fairbanks.
    Founding Member

Does anyone in Anchorage do Barrel Porting.............???

Does anyone in Anchorage do Barrel Porting.............???
    I've seen a couple that Stan Jackson did. Looked first rate...never used him personally.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

If you want actual ports cut directly into the barrel, then Magnaport is the way to go. They are done using EDM, or electrical discharge machining. This method produces the cleanest ports, and will not, generally, affect accuracy or velocity to any measurable degree. Having someone use a drill bit to drill holes in your barrel is, in my opinion, a bad idea. The bit will almost invariably leave burrs around the edges of the hole on the inside. Also, most of the people doing this will "counterbore" the barrel, thus removing the rifling for the length of the "ports", effectively reducing the usable barrel length by 1 1/2 to 2''. They then use a boring bar to create a new crown down inside the barrel at the end of the porting, which produces a very poor crown. That in itself may significantly degrade accuracy. Just my observations.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    If you want actual ports cut directly into the barrel, then Magnaport is the way to go. They are done using EDM, or electrical discharge machining. This method produces the cleanest ports, and will not, generally, affect accuracy or velocity to any measurable degree. Having someone use a drill bit to drill holes in your barrel is, in my opinion, a bad idea. The bit will almost invariably leave burrs around the edges of the hole on the inside. Also, most of the people doing this will "counterbore" the barrel, thus removing the rifling for the length of the "ports", effectively reducing the usable barrel length by 1 1/2 to 2''. They then use a boring bar to create a new crown down inside the barrel at the end of the porting, which produces a very poor crown. That in itself may significantly degrade accuracy. Just my observations.
    Agree 100%. If you port into the bore there are only two good ways to go about it, EDM or laser and neither are equipment that a general gunsmith is going to have. You can't effectively de-burr inside of an existing bore so just say no to drilled or milled holes in your barrel.

EDM and laser remove material by atomizing it away so they can't add it or move it to where it wasn't only evaporate it away from where it is. EDM machines are not cheap but still like 1/10 the cost of a junky laser machine so I don't think anyone is laser porting yet but I bet it's just a matter of time.

Now a muzzle brake or other device that you add onto your barrel is another story, here we have the opportunity to clean up the bore after cutting the ports because we are not working with an existing finished surface like inside a rifled barrel.

Anyway if you want your barrel ported just send it to Magnaport, that is absolutely the best value for your porting buck! If maybe you would conceder a muzzle device then that can be done by any competent gunsmith and will do a better job at mitigating recoil.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Agree 100%. If you port into the bore there are only two good ways to go about it, EDM or laser and neither are equipment that a general gunsmith is going to have. You can't effectively de-burr inside of an existing bore so just say no to drilled or milled holes in your barrel.

EDM and laser remove material by atomizing it away so they can't add it or move it to where it wasn't only evaporate it away from where it is. EDM machines are not cheap but still like 1/10 the cost of a junky laser machine so I don't think anyone is laser porting yet but I bet it's just a matter of time.

Now a muzzle brake or other device that you add onto your barrel is another story, here we have the opportunity to clean up the bore after cutting the ports because we are not working with an existing finished surface like inside a rifled barrel.

Anyway if you want your barrel ported just send it to Magnaport, that is absolutely the best value for your porting buck! If maybe you would conceder a muzzle device then that can be done by any competent gunsmith and will do a better job at mitigating recoil.
    I concur.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I would opt for a better recoil pad or even one of those mercury recoil reduction devices before I had a barrel ported on a 44 mag, simply due to excessive noise (to the shooter) and also the limited amount of recoil generated in that platform to begin with. if you do decide to port the thing, I would suggest you leave the barrel at 18" so that if you decide (as I did with a ported Marlin guide gun) you don't like them, that you have enough barrel left to chop the ported section off and recrown.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

By no means or at any cost allow Gary Junk of Arctic Gun Works to practice any machine work on any firearms to include a Daisy BB gun.