Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Southeast Blacktail Hunt

Default Southeast Blacktail Hunt

Hey everybody, I just figured I'd try to share my hunting trip with everyone as it's happening.

I'm in Angoon, AK for the annual Thanksgiving and deer hunting trip with my inlaws. I won't go into all the details, but a few years ago I was blessed with an amazing hunting partner for life and this is quickly becoming one of my favorite hunts of the year.

Anyways, my wife and I left Anchorage Wednesday night for Juneau. We were greeted with 15" of snow to clear from my inlaw's boat so we could load it on the ferry in the morning. Thursday morning we boarded the ferry and made it to Angoon about seven hours later.

Boat loaded on the ferry:

Ferry at Tenakee Springs:

Friday was our first day of hunting and we were able to take two does. I got one on the first calling sequence and my father-in-law got one a couple hours later.

Heading out in the boat:

Boat anchored for the day (my wife is a goofball):

Our deer calls...we've named them Johny and Jenny Jobin...because using dog chew toys to call deer isn't strange enough.

My doe:

I'm happy to report the 180gr Nosler Partion flying out of of my 300 Win Mag did very little damage to the doe at 20yds. Quick clean kill.

Father-in-law's doe:

We went out again on Saturday (today). Weather was a little nicer with no rain, but the terrain we hunted didn't hold as much sign. We found fresh tracks in a meadow but didn't find the maker. My father-in-law has the hot rifle at the moment, he managed to find one on his own.

Customery hunting selfie:

Meadow:

Today we tried the hamburger call, it has a slightly higher pitch:

Father-in-law's deer in the boat. Legs are tied into a backpack for carrying out of the woods:

Very nice - enjoy the rest of the trip!

Excellent! Looking forward to the next entry as the hunt unfolds. Heading out tomorrow?

Hey, enough pics of your mug, a few more pics of your better half please! Lol, sounds like a great hunt. Cherish hunts like this with family. Congrats...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Today turned out to be an amazing and beautiful day. We headed out to one of our favorite meadows where last year we pulled two nice bucks out of it. The weather and scenery would have been satisfying enough, but my wife made a beautiful 30 yard shot on one of her largest bucks. We named the meadow she took it in 'Redemption Meadow' because it was redemption for a bad case of buck fever last year.

Remember what I said about a hunting partner for life? She doesn't just shoot them. She packed this buck out all by herself, probably 120lbs for the better part of a mile.

My sister in law also took a fork horn. I'll try to get a couple photos of that one as well.

Are you guys calling or still hunting? Either way, way to get it done!

[QUOTE=Steven_JR;1512527]We went out again on Saturday (today).

Today we tried the hamburger call, it has a slightly higher pitch:

Ahhh... So here's the funny part. That hamburger toy squeaker is where I got one of my better mouth squeakers as referenced yest in the other predator call thread.
    Pop those squeakers out and use them as mouth calls for fox, Lynx, wolf coyote, etc. No hand movement to give u away.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Ahh the Sharps...

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Are you guys calling or still hunting? Either way, way to get it done!
    A combination of both, but leaning more towards the calling side. Slowly moving through the terrain and calling at regular intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Ahh the Sharps...

Sobie2
    Haha, that's right!

Here is a photo of my sister in law's forkhorn:

My other sister in law (three daughters in the family), was close to taking the biggest buck of the day. It just didn't work out though and she just got a piece of him!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_JR View Post

Very nice.... Oh, and the buck too...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Steven_JR,

Can you explain how you fixed the legs of that buck to sling it over your back. I've attempted to carry a whitetail out before on my but drastically failed due to the issue of securing it over my shoulders.

Thanks!

There is a large tendon (kind of like your achillees heel) at the knee. You take your knife and make a cut/opening. Then you insert the front legs through the hole. Makes like a back pack. You keep the thing together by bending the front legs down (or you cut the front elbow joint and leave that tendon intact and make a twist).

Sobie2

Both front legs through the same hind leg tendon hole?

very nice congrats on what looks like a great hunt
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Your wife is awesome. I know a lot of guys who can't pack a deer that size on their backs.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

That picture with the deer on her back is awesome!
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by seeth07 View Post
    Steven_JR,

Can you explain how you fixed the legs of that buck to sling it over your back. I've attempted to carry a whitetail out before on my but drastically failed due to the issue of securing it over my shoulders.

Thanks!
    We start by skinning the front legs from the hoof up to a few inches past the knee joint. Try to only make one slice in the hide as it is going to become the backpack strap. Then we cut through the tendon/bone at the knee joint, leaving the hide attached.

Next you cut a hole in the hind leg between the Achilles tendon and the bone. Push the lower front leg of the opposite side through that hole. The leg/hoof will act as a T shape and not pull back through the hole. This makes a crisscross and creates the pockets that you will slip your arms through.

When you go to wear the 'backpack' put one arm through the pocket created between the back legs, and the other in the pocket between the front legs. The crisscross will be situated high on your back.

You can remove the hind legs at the hock joint below where the tendon attaches to save weight and get them out of your way. They will catch brush and be in your face otherwise. Also, the longer you skin out the front legs the longer your straps will be. Too short and it will be hard to slip the deer on your back. Too long and it hangs lower on your body.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast