Thread: Broadhead Devastation...!!!

Default Broadhead Devastation...!!!

Opening morning of bow hunting moose season this year a buddy of mine chased a spike bull for over a mile. And when it came time to shoot, at approx. 50 yards he messed up the shot and hit him smack dab in the upper hindquarter taking out the femur bone. It knocked the bull off his feet, but he was able to get back up and move off. My buddy was able to get on him again and this time put one through the lungs to put him down for keeps. He called me to help him butcher and pack him out. For doing so he gave me half the moose and that afternoon I dealt with the hindquarter that was hit. In all my days I have seen quite a bit of blood shot meat, but I never would have imagined that this arrow could do so much damage. Despite all the bloodshot that worked it's way almost throughout the hindquarter, I wanted to show you what it did to the bone. If I hadn't have known better I would have thought this animal was shot with a high powered rifle. It really did amaze me...!!!

http://s357.photobucket.com/user/4me...tml?sort=3&o=7

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The power of these new bows have sure come a long ways

Living like kings

I have taken 16 moose with my bow. Had one front shoulder that was blood shot worse than if it had been hit with a rifle. So many others though that had almost no ruined meat.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

It took me a long time to deal with that hindquarter. Albeit the worst part was close to the wound, but it was amazing to me the way the bloodshot worked in like thin fine lines throughout the meat sections. I have a few more pics I'll try and post. What was also mindboggling was how only a small part of the inner broadhead was chipped away, and besides the main point being a bit bent, it was all still there in one piece.

As far as the femur goes, I could understand how the broadhead could stick in the bone, or to even break it in half. But for it to have such energy to shatter such a thick bone into so many pieces well, to me, that was just incredible...!!!

Another pic of the hindquarter......

Attachment 87481

Broadhead....

Attachment 87482

I would wager that the damage caused by the broad head, significant as it was, was exacerbated by the moose still being ambulatory after the initial strike. This gave the moose far more time to bleed into the wound, and any efforts made by the moose to flee broke down the fractured bone even more than what it would have been, had it died on the spot.

I have sure seen some amazing differences in what happens when you nail a moose with an arrow. I have double lunged several of them. I've had them stagger off like they were drunk and go down within my sight. Had others take the same hit and they take off like a race horse and end up tipping over while still going full out. I've had them crash right into trees doing that.
    Had one bull die out in a lake. We had tracked it till dark. Spotted just a hump of the rib cage showing above the lily pads the next morning when the sun light hit it. Almost lost that one. I have had a couple run right into someones yard and keel over. The last one I got with my bow I shot from my front porch at the crack of dawn opening morning. It ran from my yard, across a road, right by my neighbors house in front of the picture window. When it hit the brush, I heard crash, crash, crash, and then it was quiet. Another one that tipped over on the run. Pass through shot, arrow landed 50 yards past the moose. I found him right where the last 'crash' was. Had him hung up at my shop whole by 7:00 am.
    Then there was the one we tracked for 14.5 hours. I spent the 1st 3 hours tracking on my hands and knees. Few people would have recovered that one. A big bull, he was. 1st arrow in him just after daylight, second one 3 hours later. Finished him off at dusk several miles away. He looked like a pin cushion by then. Seemed like the last arrows never even phased him.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    It took me a long time to deal with that hindquarter. Albeit the worst part was close to the wound, but it was amazing to me the way the bloodshot worked in like thin fine lines throughout the meat sections. I have a few more pics I'll try and post. What was also mindboggling was how only a small part of the inner broadhead was chipped away, and besides the main point being a bit bent, it was all still there in one piece.

As far as the femur goes, I could understand how the broadhead could stick in the bone, or to even break it in half. But for it to have such energy to shatter such a thick bone into so many pieces well, to me, that was just incredible...!!!
    Any idea what combo he used? Draw weight on the bow and the type of arrow? I've never shot anything with my new set up. My old round cam Hoyt set at 75 pounds, with heavy slow aluminum arrow, passed through everything. I've always wondered how the new carbon arrows fare with the new high speed bows.

Quickest, cleanest moose kill I ever did was with a mechanical broadhead. Perfect double lung shot. Ribs didn't slow the arrow one bit. Lost the arrow in the thick bog behind her. 70lb Hoyt and Easton alum arrows. Big cow went 15 yards, fell over, took 3 labored breaths and that was that!

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Any idea what combo he used? Draw weight on the bow and the type of arrow? I've never shot anything with my new set up. My old round cam Hoyt set at 75 pounds, with heavy slow aluminum arrow, passed through everything. I've always wondered how the new carbon arrows fare with the new high speed bows.
    The bow is a Bowtech Experience. 62# @ 28" draw. Carbon Express arrow, Magnus broadhead. 350 total grain arrow.

He just told me that he found that broken off bleeder blade in the other hindquarter....

I'm old school. Still shooting aluminum arrows, although from a Parker that is much faster than my old Martin Prowler. I have the Parker cracked up to 75 pounds. Arrows are 32" long, and I am using Satellite broad heads that are no longer produced. Picked a bunch of them up on the internet. 4 blade stainless steel Aero heads. Shoot right through. I have several broad heads that have been in multiple moose with only a change of a blade or 2. Also have an arrow that has been through 3 bulls.
    Something I do that may help with penetration, at least according to my simple field tests, is spraying the arrows with silicone spray. Makes them super slick. They do shoot much deeper into my back yard target when lubed up.