Thread: Field Report - Kodiak Fall Bear

Default Field Report - Kodiak Fall Bear

Hi everyone, I had posted this in another thread and a few members suggested making one for it separately. We took a terrific 10'6" bear from Kodiak this season, at mid-mountain in the alpine.

He was up by some waterfalls when we spotted him from our glassing position on the shoreline, along a small point. Funny thing was we couldn't make his size as he was only showing his head, which would pop up for a few moments as he was circling - looked more like a bedding activity. We spotted him about 12:30 and looked him over, having noticed the day prior the bears were fairly localized from 12-3 or so. We decided to make the climb and see how he looked when closer. The rain came in and we got up there to the first knoll, set up and made a few calls. He was way more bear than we originally thought, and was beyond another knoll and coming towards us.

We moved to the next knoll, about 100 feet up from our first position, and set up with a few calls and excellent visibility over the next few depressions where we had spotted him. The rain increased, I found a dry piece of paper and dried my optics, looking for movement. He had made his way Up and Behind us, and was coming in. Still about 100 feet above where we were at, but had made our movement and was coming in. A lumbering beast, he toggled around quickly and positioned himself to get a better look/scent line at us. The winds were changing, but we were in a favorable position. I had turned around and set up next to a small alder, which doubled as an ideal point as the angle was too steep for my small pack. He gave the ideal side profile, for a moment in time, and then was dispatched with a well placed first shot. Time froze like it does when you're in the moment, and he tumbled forward down a 150 foot ravine into the alders. It was a lifeless cartwheel tumble, there was no fight left in him.

When we got over there, he was all bunched up, so we gave him a little push and he rolled down into the position on the photo below. He squared at 10'6", with a 27.5" skull, all green measurements, and a very big body. My guide was Curtis Byrd, and I'd go out hunting with him anytime, he is excellent. We also took a nice 4pt buck, but the bear was the real deal on this trip, it is an amazing place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats, looks to be money well spent
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Wow - you harvested some great animals! That must have been exciting calling for brown bears. Thanks for sharing your story.

Congratulations on an exciting and successful hunt. Thanks for the report.

A couple of very nice trophies for sure and I couldn't agree more, Kodiak is indeed a very special place. What kind of calls were you guy's using, predator??

Great critters, especially that bear. Congrats!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Enormous bear and beautiful buck. Hunt of a lifetime congrats. What outfit does he guide for?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Enormous bear and beautiful buck. Hunt of a lifetime congrats. What outfit does he guide for?
    Thanks, it was an exceptional trip. Curtis guides for Mike Munsey, has been there for some time.

Shulse01,

Curtis is a great guy. I have talked to him several times in the field. Which bay were you hunting in? Mike has a couple of different areas there. The times I have talked to Curtis he was in Uyak Bay. He guided a guy from back east to a 30"+ monster back in 2012. Got it on the beach the last day of his hunt just before dark.

Randy

Agreed, he is terrific, good attitude as well. You're spot on, we were in area 18 / south Uyak Bay, the same area they got that monster 30 4/16" a few years ago, actually on the other side of the bay. That section has a number of drainages and bears come in from a few directions. Mike has that area and the north section of Uyak Bay, along with an area in Spiridon. We had some good luck.

Stud bear and buck! Congrats

Shulse01,

You had some good luck for sure. Those are a couple of good looking animals.

Randy