View Poll Results: Are you an "uppie" or a "downie?"

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • I set 'em uphill (first pot into the water is deepest)

7 43.75%
  • I set 'em down hill (last pot into the water deepest)

1 6.25%
  • It don't matter!

8 50.00%

Thread: Shrimpin' direction...uphill or downhill?

Default Shrimpin' direction...uphill or downhill?

Do you set your pots in an uphill fashion (first pot into the water deepest) or downhill (last pot into the water deepest?) Or does it matter? An explanation why would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Depends on if I am out long enough for two pulls.

If I am out long enough for two pulls I set my pots starting the deepest first and will spead the pots up to 250 feet difference in depth. Once the first pull is done I pick the best depth and set all the pots within 50 feet of that depth. First set is usually toward shore and second along shore.

If I am only out long enough for one pull I just pick a line along shore and set all my pots along that line.

I set anywhere from 175 - 500 feet. I drop each pot individually so I can spread them out or drop in various locations.

D
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Neither

Neither. I may set up hill/down hill untill I find the depth they are at. Then I lay along the same depth as where I found them. No sense being in 75' of water if the shrimp are not there or 600'. Right now 350-400 seems to be working the best. If they migrate out of the area then I will go back to up hill / down hill until I find them again.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default 2nd that

I would hardly venture to say I am an expert on it, but my total catch significantly increased when I began to lay the pots all on the same contour line.

Just my .02

-- Gambler

OK, maybe my question wasn't clear, but I'm referring to when you are prospecting depth (location of shrimp) and laying your pots in a perpendicular fashion to the shore. While setting, is your bow looking a the shore, or looking out to sea? I agree that once a good depth is found to lay along the contour line.

The reason I ask is I've always set my pots with my bow to shore and was told I should do it the other way...I was sceptical so I posted the poll for the masses to fire away. To me I would imagine it doesn't matter and that bow-to-shore is best as it would require less line between the top pot and your buoy.

Dave, glad to hear that PWS shrimp are back up to ~350. They were much deeper a month ago, at least where we fish. Maybe I'll just take the gamble and lay them all @ ~350!

Thanks for all your input! Keep it coming!

Default Up hill

Always uphill when prospecting. Deepest first going towards shore, shallowest last.

Reasoning: If I start at 400', run each pot 100 feet apart and end in 200' I use 600' foot of line. Reverse the process and you use 800' feet of line. You could easly short yourself on the last drop and loose the pots if the depths are inaccurate.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 06-27-2007 at 20:36. Reason: Myan math

Im with D Man . 5 separate lines.

Default Question

Question for the guys running line on each pot?

Do you shrimp all summer long? Or just on occasion a few weekends a year?

My pots are out from April 15th till Sept 15, except a week or two of hunting.
    I can't imagine running to five different sets and pulling them and setting again.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Question for the guys running line on each pot?

Do you shrimp all summer long? Or just on occasion a few weekends a year?

My pots are out from April 15th till Sept 15, except a week or two of hunting.
    I can't imagine running to five different sets and pulling them and setting again.
    Dave,

I'm more the weekend warrior. I have been out 7 times this year. For me my pots are usually down during the day or over night. I usually drop my pots a few hundred yards apart. When I am prospecting I may set two in one area and two or three in another area. I have had good success with this system as if you have a few pots that don't do so hot it only takes one being in the right spot to catch you up. Right around 1700 shrimp so far this year.

In my mind it also helps me knowing that if someone if going to pull my pots they have to pull 5 lines. I have had one or two pots picked clean (with obvious signs) a few times so far and a few others still with shrimp. Kinda like it was taking to long and they got interrupted! Ha! Helps me sleep at night!

I zip tied one of my pots shut one time becuase the hook broke. Funny thing was when I pulled the 4 pots right next to it they all had one or two shrimp in it, the pot that was zip tied had around 50. Interesting!!!!

TASTY STUFF!!!

Cheers!

Derrick

One more thing. Takes my crew about 45 minutes to pull all 5 lines. Closer to an hour if we are re-dropping.

Dave-

I agree with the use of extra line and the risks involved when doing it bow-to-sea. Looks like I'll continue doing it the way I always have. Thanks for the great info, guys. I like the idea of prospecting, I think instead of all 5 pots on one line I'll split them up into 2 lines in search of a better spot. Our honey hole has run dry this year.

Thanks again.

Default Style

I guess it is all in the style of shrimping. For me, pulling 700 foot of line and unclipping and stacking pots makes more sense if the pots are going right back down. I don't always get the straightest of sets trying to put the pots back out and steering at the same time. But hey it works for me.

For sure, I used to drop three and two. Hadn't really found the honey hole yet which got me into prospecting. That is when it is nice to have 5 lines. Once you have a good spot though I can see just dropping them all on the same line. Even more so if you left them out all the time. I would love to do that but don't trust people to leave my stuff alone out of whittier for a week at a time.

here's my 2 cents worth, set them all in one depth and if your on'em you got 'um but if you miss well you get nothing, i rather set from shallow(make sure you got enough bouyline) to deep and cover the bottom better. I fish 5 pots on one line and i have a bouy on each end that way if one end gets cut off or hung down i got another end to haul from. I don't clip/unclip pots or anything for that matter and i bet i can haul and set'em back faster than any one out there (but whats a dumb old lobstah man know about settin' shrimp pots). I'm thinking i might do a video of me haulin' & settin' the gear and have it playing at the shows next year ?? but maybe i should be sellin' a video of rigging the gear?? to go along with the pots. My score for shrimpin' this year is just over 3000 for 2 days fishin'.
    Attachment 3309
    this fish tote holds 100lbs of fish when full
    Attachment 3310
    these came out of 5 pots soaked for 2 hours
    Last edited by potbuilder; 08-06-2007 at 09:51.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692