Thread: Man shoots griz while answering nature's call

Default Man shoots griz while answering nature's call

Here's a great article in the Newsminer today.

http://www.news-miner.com/Stories/0,...336543,00.html
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default this story....

"smells" to me, Snyd. Sorry for the bad pun.
    There are black bear bait stands all through that area. Thats obvious to any baiter.
    Who walks 250 yards into the woods to relieve themself? The bugs alone are unbearable there, and the road gets little use anyway.
    "Purchased Tag the day before"....hmmm.
    Sorry for the cynicism on this one, probably perfectly legit, but I've been conned before...maybe I'm being too cynical and unfair to the guy.

Largely feasible; he had a reasonable expectation to see a bear - he knew the area. The part I find most dubious is that he failed to defecate Ė at four feet I probably would have purged as forcefully as my first shot and subsequent shots.

It also illustrates (again) that a handgun, although not ideal, will kill bears. (Although having your pants around your ankles when doing so isnít ďidealĒ either Ö Iíll have to modify some of my range practice).

Default Way to go Longbow

Now you've opened a can of worms. I can just see it now. The next time the "will my .44 mag kill a grizz" debate opens up, we will see lots of "of course it will. Piece of cake. In fact, it can be done with your pants down while taking dump." I am sure the anti-handgunners here will love that. Bahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl
    There are black bear bait stands all through that area. Thats obvious to any baiter.
    Who walks 250 yards into the woods to relieve themself? The bugs alone are unbearable there, and the road gets little use anyway.
    Sorry for the cynicism on this one, probably perfectly legit, but I've been conned before...maybe I'm being too cynical and unfair to the guy.

Great pun. No need to apologize. Just someones bear story. Or maybe bare story?? now there's a bad pun...
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I can relate from personal experience that this story could be true. In my case though I did not shoot the bears and it was about 10 minutes after I had left "the spot". Always wanted to ask this question on the net but thought it might be a little awkward. Anyone else had attracted bears with your rejected byproducts? There....I feel relieved.

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl
    I don't know bout the 250-yard, but it's possible in that area of the Elliott. However, the grizzly tag does not mean much, since quite a lot of people buy the tag at the same time they buy the license to save time. I got my grizzly tag in April when I got my license, just so I would not have to go back to Sentry one more time. I wish that moose harvest reports would be available early in the year, because I would get that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by love2hunt
    I can relate from personal experience that this story could be true. In my case though I did not shoot the bears and it was about 10 minutes after I had left "the spot". Always wanted to ask this question on the net but thought it might be a little awkward. Anyone else had attracted bears with your rejected byproducts? There....I feel relieved.
    According to Stephen Herrero, bears are indeed attracted to fresh human and animal waste. Defecating puts out a plume of smell that can be pushed quite a distance by wind, and bears with their incredible sense of smell can home-in to the spot just like to a bait station. My hunting partner had this sort of experience a few years ago. He was there about 40' from his tent, doing his thing, and a black bear walked about 30' from him. The bear stopped there and stared at him, and then ran when my hunting partner called loudly for his gun. The funny thing is that he often tells me to always have a gun with me when I am answering nature's call

Default "smells a little $$$$$ to me too"

Been on the Haul and the Elliot many times, Never needed to get more than 30 yards off the road (actual gravel/chip seal edge) to take care of business, 250 yards ? come on. That road has little to no traffic , no one in their right mind would hike 250 yards into that bug infested spruce to take care of business. Dang fishy to me too! 250 yards is probably the average misjudged 1/4 mile distance off the road for a bear bait on the Elliot. Thats my $.02. "You can BS the fans but you cant BS the players!"

Default I'd be curious...

to see/hear if F+G checked this out. Anybody could walk into a bait up there and shoot a griz...shoot one of these guys....
    Last edited by fullkurl; 10-24-2008 at 23:12.