Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Blacktail

Default PWS Blacktail

I have searched around all over and the last post I can find is from 2007, so my question is does anyone know how the deer pop on Naked Island is out in PWS? My buddy has a friend that is willing to take us out and drop us off on the island to do some blacktail hunting. We were also tossing the idea of going to POW and I know POW has a good pop just PWS is closer to home. So just curious if anyone knows how it is out there?

If there hasn't been a post on naked since 07 why not contact F&G?

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

There's been lots of posts on naked Island in the last few months.. I've been there twice this year and the population seems to be doing good. I was out in August and seen about 20 deer only one buck with horns but couldn't get a shot with my bow. Did see a few more button bucks and came home with one of those. Also went out again in October and we came home with 4. Hoping to get one more trip out in December and will be headed back to naked.

Living like kings

I've hunted Naked Island and Montague a couple times since October. Saw lots of sign on Naked but didn't connect.

We see them walking the north gravel beaches on Storey also.

How about the ocean conditions getting out there? I have a friend who told me that there hasn't been a single day this month out to Montague with less than 8 ft. seas. Anybody have any reports?

I've got a couple of buddies out at Montague right now. They left last Wednesday. The forecast was not good so I passed. They had a small window to get down there. Will feel much better when they get home (tomorrow). There has been high winds and big seas pretty much the whole time they've been down there. I'll hold out for a good window in December...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

It was ugly out there today. Easily 40-50 knots blowing down off Culross and out of Blackstone. The tugs were jogging on the east side of Knight Island to avoid the westerly winds. The Port Wells weather buoy is still showing west at 26 gusting to 34. It's suppose to moderate tomorrow evening.

Well Stanly we made it home. Wow is all I can say. That's the worst water I've ever been in. BK and I bailed and stayed at Knight Saturday and made the run home in decent water today. Not much snow left out there. Warm winds Thursday night melted it away. To the OP on Naked island yes the population is doing pretty good now. I've hunted it for years and alway do well. And it's better each year. Just watch the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Well Stanly we made it home. Wow is all I can say. That's the worst water I've ever been in. BK and I bailed and stayed at Knight Saturday and made the run home in decent water today. Not much snow left out there. Warm winds Thursday night melted it away. To the OP on Naked island yes the population is doing pretty good now. I've hunted it for years and alway do well. And it's better each year. Just watch the weather.

Thanks for the info everyone, that's what I was hoping to hear!

I spoke with the area biologist about a month ago to get results from the pellet count. Pellet counts are still pretty low, but moving in the right direction. Another year or two with low winter mortality should do some good things for those populations.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well my boat ride fell through, So I've turned to heading down to POW. Have never been down in that area though, so can anyone offer any advice or knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob191288 View Post
    Well my boat ride fell through, So I've turned to heading down to POW. Have never been down in that area though, so can anyone offer any advice or knowledge?
    Take a look at my thread about southeast road system hunting. I'm on my way to POW right now, and there was quite a bit of helpful advice shared in that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Take a look at my thread about southeast road system hunting. I'm on my way to POW right now, and there was quite a bit of helpful advice shared in that thread.
    Thanks Brian, I'll be down there on Saturday

Ill be headed out in about a week and I'm looking forward to it. Naked, Knight, Montague, I'm not sure. I do know it will be a great time. I have missed the forums for the last 10 months and I'm glad to be back now. I have been watching the Naked Island weather camera about everyday for the last month. Where did all the snow go? I guess its good for the deer but I do like em on the beaches. Has anyone been to the northern bays on Montague this fall/winter? any luck?

Andy, sent you a PM.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    Ill be headed out in about a week and I'm looking forward to it. Naked, Knight, Montague, I'm not sure. I do know it will be a great time. I have missed the forums for the last 10 months and I'm glad to be back now. I have been watching the Naked Island weather camera about everyday for the last month. Where did all the snow go? I guess its good for the deer but I do like em on the beaches. Has anyone been to the northern bays on Montague this fall/winter? any luck?
    I've never herd of the naked Island weather camera. Can you post the link for that.

Living like kings

I found it originally on; http://data.aoos.org/maps/sensors/

But now just go through; http://www.cvinternet.net/~weatherca...3023495900.jpg.

Let me know if the links don't work. I'm doing it from a phone.

http://www.cvinternet.net/~weathercam/

WOW. Those are some great links. Thanks for posting. Some of the best satellite images for sound I've seen so far.
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast