Thread: Frankenfish....Dun Dun Daaahn....

Default Frankenfish....Dun Dun Daaahn....

http://radiokenai.net/fda-approves-g...fb_ref=Default

Kinda crazy. Lots of questions. Thought I'd start a thread. If people wanna eat these they can go ahead that's not really what concerns me. I just wonder about interbreeding and such.... seems irresponsible, but science is the only thing that can hope to keep the world population fed...

What gets me on this whole thing is that labeling them as GE or GMO is not a requirement. Hard for consumers to make educated decisions when the information isn't readily available

Quote Originally Posted by akshootnscoot View Post
    What gets me on this whole thing is that labeling them as GE or GMO is not a requirement. Hard for consumers to make educated decisions when the information isn't readily available
    Shouldn't be hard to make an educated decision at all. The only salmon that can be labeled WILD is WILD. Everything else is farmed. The commercial fishing industry and Oprah Winfrey have done a nice job of educating the public to know this difference.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    Shouldn't be hard to make an educated decision at all. The only salmon that can be labeled WILD is WILD. Everything else is farmed. The commercial fishing industry and Oprah Winfrey have done a nice job of educating the public to know this difference.
    Unfortunately, the sellers got educated too. From a recent study, about 1/2 of all salmon sold labeled "Wild" isn't. It's farmed salmon labeled as wild because they can charge more and nobody is stopping them.

I expect the same thing will happen with this GMO fish.

Are they allowed to patent them like GMO crops?

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Are they allowed to patent them like GMO crops?
    ...And then when their genetics ultimately escape into the wild population (which absolutely WILL HAPPEN), can they sue the wild product fisherman for growing/harvesting/selling their GMO gene without license, just like Monsanto does to farmers?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Could solve the problem with declining chinook size in the Kenai.

Oh no, they will never get out. Panama's regulations regarding the release of GE fish into open waters are second to none...

My other initial thought was about the "feeder" chickens we raised last summer, which grew at an abnormal rate, did nothing but eat, were dumb as rocks, and acted nothing like real chickens. Were those genetically engineered? From what I can tell no, simply a result of selective breeding.

I think I read somewhere that these fish are a first regarding GE animals?

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Could solve the problem with declining chinook size in the Kenai.
    Ha! There we go!

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    I think I read somewhere that these fish are a first regarding GE animals?
    Yep, these are the first approved for the market. Those chickens were likely the result of selective breeding, as you assumed.

http://www.vitalchoice.com/shop/pc/a...iew.asp?id=653

Apparently there are some issues with salmon farms on the West Coast.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist