Thread: Sept Kenai Silvers

Default Sept Kenai Silvers

Have fished Reds for many years and on my 1st trip to AK in 06 did a guided trip for silvers in August with my father. Not my thing sitting in a boat plunking eggs.
    Was wondering being shore bound, what the September fishery is like. Looking through old posts, concentrate 2 week on but not much info on where. Obviously look for slower holding water to cast spinners or float eggs but it there are place to swing a fly in the lower river. Thought of places like the boat launch area in Swiftwater park or the frog water below the board walk to drift some eggs. Without even coming that late in the year, not sure where the holes set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Have fished Reds for many years and on my 1st trip to AK in 06 did a guided trip for silvers in August with my father. Not my thing sitting in a boat plunking eggs.
    Was wondering being shore bound, what the September fishery is like. Looking through old posts, concentrate 2 week on but not much info on where. Obviously look for slower holding water to cast spinners or float eggs but it there are place to swing a fly in the lower river. Thought of places like the boat launch area in Swiftwater park or the frog water below the board walk to drift some eggs. Without even coming that late in the year, not sure where the holes set up.
    This picture is from a few days ago on the lower Kenai. Three of us were stripping and swinging articulated leeches with strikes on almost every cast. We lost many chrome fish and released a dozen blush fish before we stopped short of our limit. As you mentioned, look for any slack water. Without knowing what the conditions are going to be like next September it's hard to say what holes will be producing. Honestly, I would give the Upper Kenai a shot in September for coho. They were a pain in the rear this year while targeting rainbows from Sportsmans to Jims. Plenty of places to walk into from the Kenai. I saw hundreds of silvers in the Russian this year in September while chasing trout. NOBODY was targeting silvers that day on the Russian.

DSCF3672.jpg
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly