Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A fox barked at me, therefore.....

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default A fox barked at me, therefore.....

Since this fox dissed me, I am exploring which of my fine firearms would be most suitable for Fox Hunting.

I'm asking, does it really matter?

I am not a predator hunter, and know next to nothing about it, but possibly there is enough of my sordid life left to learn.

One concern seems to be how big a hole, is made through the critter's hide. Well, because of my inexpertise, I doubt I would ruin enough hides to effect the price of fox pelts anyway.

I'm thinking to use my Mdl 64 Win. with Peep sight, 30-30 with Cast Bullets, that is not a reduced load. Simply, because I like that gun.

Later, I plan to use a 7mm-08, and perhaps make up a Flat Shooting Load. That too, may make a beeg hole in a hide.

Of course, I may not even get a shot, or if I do, I may MISS. (Positive Thinking)

I need to check the regs, but I'm sure the season is open or soon will be. I've seen some bootiful foxes around here. One was a Blackie, and he really shined.

I don't intend to go into this in a big way. Like with the recorded calls etc. I got a couple of squeaky thingys, so if I'm OK with rifle choice, I'll put it on my calendar.

So, what are the prime considerations for choosing a Fox Rifle?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Having the operating mechanism configured for arctic temperature conditions. Trigger guard configured for use with gloved hand. Crisp trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    So, what are the prime considerations for choosing a Fox Rifle?

Suppressed, so you don't disturb the neighbor who's porch you shoot it off of.

Edit: Oops, sorry. Wrong thread.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    A fox barked at me, therefore.....
    Are you sure it was a fox? Did it sound like this ---> FOX
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Well, I've used a Rem 7mm Mag with Speer 115gr HPs going about 3400 on coyote that didn't leave an exit hole. Fox are a bit smaller though so I'm not sure if the bullet would stop inside or completely remove the off side. A 223 with Speer 52gr HPs at about 3300 works really well on fox without destroying the hide. A 17Rem would probably be close to ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post

Are ya happy now! I just blew coffee out my nose! Ha! Foxes are members of the meow family!

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Well, I've used a Rem 7mm Mag with Speer 115gr HPs going about 3400 on coyote that didn't leave an exit hole. Fox are a bit smaller though so I'm not sure if the bullet would stop inside or completely remove the off side. A 223 with Speer 52gr HPs at about 3300 works really well on fox without destroying the hide. A 17Rem would probably be close to ideal.
    I've seen fox that were shot 90 grainers out of a 7mmSTW and they were in two pieces. If I were just hunting fox and if we still had a lot of them I would have a 221 Fireball and shoot em with 35 or 40 grain boolits. I have one bolt action 223 and it only shoots 40 grainers and boy do they make a distinct whop when they land on a fox. I get the same effect with a 58 grain VMax out of my 243 running 38-3900 foots per second. The 243 tears things up so I use it on coyoties only and certain undomesticated felines.( the ones that the coyoties haven't eaten cuz they's too beeg and ornery). my favoritest place to shoot them is in the bullseye under their tail!

This makes you.....wait for it.......Foxworthy.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

.22-250 or .17 HMR are probably perfect for fox.
    I'm looking for a wolf gun and probably will go .243.

I have hunted a lot of furbearers. You can shoot a fox with a 45-70, and sewing up a hole isn't that bad. What you don't want is to shoot your target with an explosive type bullet. Use a pointed soft point traditional bullet with a lead core. Something that stays together. I have shot many Arctic and Red foxes with a .22 WMR (perfect if you are shooting under 100 yards). Then I like either a .243 or 22-250. But bullet choice is what really matters. A few years ago there was a digital self published book on Alaska Predator Hunting (Wolves) the title is escaping me but the author was a huge fan of the 6PPC, so a 6mm bullet vs 7mm.

Sobie2

I shot two last year on Kodiak with my 7mm - 08 and one faired OK but had a big hole. The other one didn't take it too well and all I was able to salvage from it was the tail. Pity too it was a beautiful silver Fox. I shot both of them with a 140 grn barnes ttx. I think for Fox my 17hmr would be ideal. I also used my 22-250 to take another Fox on Kodiak, I shot it in the neck and it was little hole in and little hole out but I didn't hit the bone either. I would think a 30-30 would be an alright gun for them being it's a slower round. Might be a good gun for them with some solid non expanding type bullets.

Living like kings

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    This makes you.....wait for it.......Foxworthy.
    You might be a fox hunter if.....
    #Resist

Foxes bark?

I thought that was an ongoing controversy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

The last fox I tagged with a .243 pushing 90 grains left a exit wound nearly the size of a CD, was a mess to skin out. Put a .222 round through a coyote a few years ago, forget what grain, but that exit wound was about the size of the bottom of a beer bottle. I don't recommend a .243
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

You cannot give anymore reputation points to this member ......
    Gave me a fine chuckle and brought some memories to mind....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I shot a fox on kodiak once. With my 3006. At 450 yards. Took me forever to walk up to wear he landed, half of him anyway....... that 180 grain e tip was pretty cruel......... kinda turned him inside out and then some. I won't do that again. Now I use my .270 win with 100grain solids. Works on all furrries jes fine.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I've seen fox that were shot 90 grainers out of a 7mmSTW and they were in two pieces. If I were just hunting fox and if we still had a lot of them I would have a 221 Fireball and shoot em with 35 or 40 grain boolits. I have one bolt action 223 and it only shoots 40 grainers and boy do they make a distinct whop when they land on a fox. I get the same effect with a 58 grain VMax out of my 243 running 38-3900 foots per second. The 243 tears things up so I use it on coyoties only and certain undomesticated felines.( the ones that the coyoties haven't eaten cuz they's too beeg and ornery). my favoritest place to shoot them is in the bullseye under their tail!
    Ol pop has a Remington xp100 chambered in 221 FB. He loves it to death. Hard to find brass n such. But what a fun toy.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Having the operating mechanism configured for arctic temperature conditions. Trigger guard configured for use with gloved hand. Crisp trigger.
    I purty shore I won't be hunting in extreme temps, but I appreciate the tips.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I cawn't afford a suppressor, and besides us Hillbillys don't use such technologies.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

5 mm Magnum Remington. Super high velocity. No exit hole.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast