Thread: Ice Screws

Default Ice Screws

I put some ice screws on the track of my skandic SWT. I talked to a friend of mine who runs a snow machine freight service and he told me that I should take them off because they can damage the frame underneath the machine. I have never heard of this before. Has anyone ever heard of this or had this happen? Is this true? I want to get more traction on the ice, but I don't want to damage my machine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Take them out now! It cost me almost $3k to replace all three radiators! The track expands out from centrifugal force and eats up the radiators. I have a skandic WT. Only took about 15 miles of river running for the damage.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Put some wear bars or tunnel protectors in your tunnel and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I put some ice screws on the track of my skandic SWT. I talked to a friend of mine who runs a snow machine freight service and he told me that I should take them off because they can damage the frame underneath the machine. I have never heard of this before. Has anyone ever heard of this or had this happen? Is this true? I want to get more traction on the ice, but I don't want to damage my machine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    There are varying lengths of ice 'screws'. I bought a sack of screws for my Skandic SWT and my Expedition last yr with the low snow amount and what turned into icy conditions. I didn't put a whole lot of them in and the amount I put in it made a big diff in traction. I never heard of the radiator problem before but I was aware of the potential tunnel problem. As I have occasionally bottomed my tunnel to the track in the past.
    I probably should pull it into the garage tomorrow and give it a good look see. I'll let u know how it looks. Thanks for the reminder.

EDIT..... Just got to thinking..... The radiator problem that is being referenced may not apply(?) to our SWT's as I am thinking the radiator problem is for some snogos that have the radiator (coils) in the tunnel type sled(?)
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by bcharles View Post
    Put some wear bars or tunnel protectors in your tunnel and you should be fine.
    What he said. Add some tunnel protectors and you will be fine
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

So I looked under my sled today. Some scratching on the very rear rail and about 4-6 inches forward on the tunnel itself. No other scratches up the thru the tunnel for as far up as I could get a visual in there. ( About 2.5-3 ft up in there from the rear of sled). A guy would need to pull the track to see any damage, if any in the forward area of the track. What I saw was not serious enough damage to worry about at this point. For now I'll just keep em on and check now and then.
    The screws have ate up my rear flap a fair amount.

A friend put 'studs' on his SWT two years ago and proceeded to damage the coolers. We removed the coolers and had them repaired at a local welding shop. The shop did and excellent job repairing the coolers. It took us a few days to get it all done but the savings were worth the time. The 'studs' were removed and he has not had any issues with the cooling system. While there may be ways to protect the coolers, we found that is was better not to install them in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    A friend put 'studs' on his SWT two years ago and proceeded to damage the coolers. We removed the coolers and had them repaired at a local welding shop. The shop did and excellent job repairing the coolers. It took us a few days to get it all done but the savings were worth the time. The 'studs' were removed and he has not had any issues with the cooling system. While there may be ways to protect the coolers, we found that is was better not to install them in the first place.
    So bearcat, as I understood things, there is a big diff between 'studs' and ice 'screws', correct? I was directed away from the studs and opted for the less problematic screws when I put them on. Is that how u see this issue?
    Also, can u explain the 'coolers' and there location? It seems crazy that they would place a cooling system item where they could easily be damaged (like right in front of a track).

Tunnel protectors are a must. Only sure way to keep the coolers from getting torn up.

I am not sure about the 'screws', but I would really look at the clearance between the track and the coolers. On the machine that I worked on, there were coolers on top of the inside of the tub. The idea is that the coolant flows through them for cooling. With the snow that is thrown from the track there is plenty to keep them cool. The problem is that there is not a whole lot of clearance for 'too long' of studs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    So bearcat, as I understood things, there is a big diff between 'studs' and ice 'screws', correct? I was directed away from the studs and opted for the less problematic screws when I put them on. Is that how u see this issue?
    Also, can u explain the 'coolers' and there location? It seems crazy that they would place a cooling system item where they could easily be damaged (like right in front of a track).

Yeah. Roger that bearcat. Screws are just that-screws with a very marginal outward lip on them. Studs protrude as one might expect and have various lengths.
    I'm not a fan of those coolers in the tunnel area. Not good in low snow areas from what I've seen with fellow riders.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Bushwhack Jack, When you say "ice screws", now much does the screw head stick above the track lug in your case? I use sheet metal screws on my SWT. They stick up about 3/16 of an inch. No problems so far. "Kold Kutter" ice screws would stick up 1/4 to 5/16 I imagine. Thru-track studs might protrude much more.

I went and took a look in the tunnel of my SWT. I used sheet metal screws for traction and could see one scratch on the radiator. And the scratch lined up with the row of screws I had installed. So if there is one scratch, that could mean more wear if the tunnel is caked with ice, weighted down and the clearance between track and radiator becomes less. So I took out the screws in the middle of the track. I did not take out the screws on the edge lugs of the track. These ice screws are way to the side of the radiator and won't be a problem.

Once again, thanks to the folks on this forum that post tips, alerts and advice like this. Springing a leak in your coolant system when you are a long ways from the trailhead or your cabin could make for a really, really bad day. Thanks again!