Thread: Now is the time to Fire Wise

Default Now is the time to Fire Wise

The sap is out of the trees making them lighter, easier to handle, and easier to burn. You can have a fire outdoors and not worry about burning the woods down.

I have recently removed a bunch of spruce near my house. Many of them are ones I planted years ago, and they looked very nice. Now days when I look at mature spruce I imagine the inferno they would produce when we have another forest fire. (I was a forest fire fighter in my youth)

I still have more to take out. At my place and at the GF's house. Helps the view also.

Safe zone around the house. In the summer I keep hoses on all my outdoor faucets so anyone passing by will be able to get water going quickly.

Think about it now, Friends. Spring time and fire season is just around the corner. The house you save might be your own.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

March thru October, Kenai Peninsula Alaska. I'm laid off and winter in Northern MN.

Smoke, coming from a wildland firefighter who got spanked hard last summer in Alaska I would agree it is definitely a good time to Firewise your place. If people are unsure on what to do, just google Firewise, and there should be links to give you all kinds of pointers. Also everyone needs to remember with any above ground structure / home, the area underneath that structure needs to be addressed. We have many homes burn down because that area always remains dry and it usually has lumber and other things stored under them. A few embers is all it takes under that structure to have it burn down.

Took down some dead spruce yesterday at the GF's. Also burned a pile of green limbs we had cut earlier. Had a nice bonfire with a cast iron pot of chili. Several friends came and enjoyed the fire with us.

Quote Originally Posted by LindenTree View Post
    Smoke, coming from a wildland firefighter who got spanked hard last summer in Alaska I would agree it is definitely a good time to Firewise your place. If people are unsure on what to do, just google Firewise, and there should be links to give you all kinds of pointers. Also everyone needs to remember with any above ground structure / home, the area underneath that structure needs to be addressed. We have many homes burn down because that area always remains dry and it usually has lumber and other things stored under them. A few embers is all it takes under that structure to have it burn down.
    This can't be emphasized enough! Windblown/windfanned embers burn down far more places than direct flame impingement. Flammable stuff under/against/on top of your place are huge threats, as are open soffit vents, gable vents, or anyplace else which lends itself to receiving wind driven embers. View your structures with a critical eye toward anyplace an ember could be deposited and take hold; imagine your structures in a winter blizzard, with 60 knot winds and horizontally blowing snow. Now, imagine the same windstorm, but replace the snow with firebrands/embers... That is what burns places down. Definitely clean up around your place, limb trees, etc. for as far out as is practical/tolerable to slow a fire and keep it on the ground and out of the canopy; but don't forget to address your structures vulnerability to wind driven embers. Do both of those things and the firefighters will have a descent chance to safely defend your place.

Great thread SR!

("You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SmokeRoss again.")
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I figure if my place looks like it has a good chance to survive a fire, the fire fighters will do their best. If I was surrounded by over hanging spruce and there wasn't a chance, I doubt they would give it the same effort.
    Be sure to clean those gutters in the spring also.

March thru October, Kenai Peninsula Alaska. I'm laid off and winter in Northern MN.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I figure if my place looks like it has a good chance to survive a fire, the fire fighters will do their best. If I was surrounded by over hanging spruce and there wasn't a chance, I doubt they would give it the same effort.
    Be sure to clean those gutters in the spring also.
    In the firefighting world what you just mentioned is what we call "Defensible Space". that is a structure that has a good chance of surviving a fire with cleared vegetation well away from it, that allows firefighters to safely go in there and protect that structure. It needs to have good ingress and egress, you need to have a place large enough that you could turn around a brush rig or a structure engine so they can face out towards their escape route and bug out if necessary before the flaming front would get there. Some places that do not meet this criteria may be written off by firefighters and deemed non defensible.

Quote Originally Posted by LindenTree View Post
    Here's a PDF version of the North West Territories Fire Smart home owners manual that we have here.
    Lots of good info.
    One of the biggest issues is raised cabins with no skirting around the base to keep wind driven embers from being sucked under the cabin.