Thread: RG266 Goats near Bainbridge Glacier or Port Bainbridge?

Default RG266 Goats near Bainbridge Glacier or Port Bainbridge?

Hi,

I am headed out for 12 days into the Prince William Sound and therefore, I picked up the RG266 permit for goat. I spoke with the biologist out of Cordova regarding the goat populations around this area and did not get very far so I am seeking other means for some helpful information.

So, I was wondering if anyone has any advice for hunting goats in this area? I will be tent camping on one of the islands or maybe even on mainland and since I am taking just my zodiac out there from Whittier, I'll probably not leave Port Baingbridge.

Thanks in advance!

Are you really planning on taking a zodiac from Whittier to Port Bainbridge? Or a water charter to there and getting dropped off with your zodiac?

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Lots of people take zodiac's out to Monty and further.

I will depart Whittier and boat to Port Bainbridge. If you see a red Achilles, that will be I, don't hesitate to come say hello!

That is correct Bullelkklr, I'm one of them. It's a wet and rough ride but someone has got to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Lots of people take zodiac's out to Monty and further.

But anyhow, hopefully someone has a little insight on the goat population in there, I'm not one to ask for any honey hole info or anything, just some good honest general info. Thanks in advance!

Sure hope you've been looking at the marine weather. I go in and out of Whittier on a 235 foot boat daily and the wind and waves in the sound have been shi%%y with a capital S. Tonight's marine forecast is for more of it. A long haired goat isn't worth your life.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    Sure hope you've been looking at the marine weather. I go in and out of Whittier on a 235 foot boat daily and the wind and waves in the sound have been shi%%y with a capital S. Tonight's marine forecast is for more of it. A long haired goat isn't worth your life.
    Yes, it has been pretty nasty out indeed. A couple weekends ago it was beautiful out though. I do play the weather as best I can for departure and return. I appreciate the concern HomerAdam. What vessel do you run in the sound? I assume it's commercial being that large. Cheers!

The ferry Aurora from Cordova.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hu.../pdf/rg266.pdf is the link for the RG266 Map. You will need to hunt the Cape Junken area. You will need to call Cordova fishing games and see if units are still left for the area.

Thanks, Luke. I figured I would be recommended to head that way. I'm hopefully there are a couple of nice days to make it out there! Thanks!

Not sure if Cape Resurrection is in your hunt area, but I've seen goats right down on the beach there a few times.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Good luck and hope you have good weather. Odds of that happening I would say about .000000001% chance of happening but that does mean there is a chance Couldnt pay me all the money in the world to do it so all I can say is be safe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    I agree with HomerAdam. PWS is pretty mild during the summer but it is a different story during the winter. I was on a 38' boat in Dec. and had a very scary ride outside of Whittier harbor. Freezing spray and 50kt winds with the weather forcast 15kts W. winds. Even the harbor was reporting 15-17kts gusts to 25 but they are shielded when west winds are really blowing. In the 2 or 3 miles from Shotgun cove to the harbor we built up about 1/2 inch of ice on the boat and you couldn't see 50 feet.

I've also been weathered in more than once with the 38 footer and even had a shoreline break one time. We always anchored with two shorelines and a anchor with 300' of chain.

I personally wouldn't go out there on a boat smaller than 28-30 feet and would make sure I had survival suits. I've seen how it can get...

Quote Originally Posted by aksnagger View Post
    I agree with HomerAdam. PWS is pretty mild during the summer but it is a different story during the winter. I was on a 38' boat in Dec. and had a very scary ride outside of Whittier harbor. Freezing spray and 50kt winds with the weather forcast 15kts W. winds. Even the harbor was reporting 15-17kts gusts to 25 but they are shielded when west winds are really blowing. In the 2 or 3 miles from Shotgun cove to the harbor we built up about 1/2 inch of ice on the boat and you couldn't see 50 feet.

I've also been weathered in more than once with the 38 footer and even had a shoreline break one time. We always anchored with two shorelines and a anchor with 300' of chain.

I personally wouldn't go out there on a boat smaller than 28-30 feet and would make sure I had survival suits. I've seen how it can get...
    Be careful with shorelines. A friend and his brother and nephew were hunting Montague in the 80s and got weathered in by a big storm. They tied to a tree as gusts were causing their anchor to drag and they wanted to get some sleep without doing anchor drills. A huge gust hit them and the boat came tight on the shore line and didn't give and their boat rolled over. The nephew died in the incident. There is also the chance of the tree coming down on your boat.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett