Thread: Snare preparation

Default Snare preparation

I just ordered up some new snares. Pretty excited to try them out. A friend of mine recommended them to me. Anyhow, in the past I have just boiled them up in logwood crystals or spruce boughs. I've seen some guys paint or dye their snares white. I'm not sure how to do that. Do I just use white spray paint? Won't the paint just come off if you boil the snares? Does the paint affect how they work? Does the paint give a funny smell? I remember hearing or reading somewhere about taking a piece of white chalk to camouflage your snares. Anybody hear of this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Most that use paint on the snares will paint the snares after they boil. I know people that have had good luck with painted snares on coyotes. They just use spray paint! I have always been curious as to smell but I know some long line big name coyote trappers that swear it dosent matter and paint all there snares. I hope that helps! I have always just boiled in water and baking soda just take take the shine off!

White snares are great until you get a warm spell and all the snow comes off the brush then you have a white circle hanging there looking really exposed. The best paint job I have seen on snares was kind of a camo a partial white, brown and olive spray paint just helps break up the outline of the loop I don't mess with the paint anymore just use the cable once it has been boiled in some baking soda to take off the shine
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I second the boiling in baking soda. Puts a nice dull finish on them that blends in nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansven View Post
    Most that use paint on the snares will paint the snares after they boil. I know people that have had good luck with painted snares on coyotes. They just use spray paint! I have always been curious as to smell but I know some long line big name coyote trappers that swear it dosent matter and paint all there snares. I hope that helps! I have always just boiled in water and baking soda just take take the shine off!
    Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    White snares are great until you get a warm spell and all the snow comes off the brush then you have a white circle hanging there looking really exposed. The best paint job I have seen on snares was kind of a camo a partial white, brown and olive spray paint just helps break up the outline of the loop I don't mess with the paint anymore just use the cable once it has been boiled in some baking soda to take off the shine
    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    I second the boiling in baking soda. Puts a nice dull finish on them that blends in nicely.
    Thanks guys.

I paint most of my snares if I have time. This is just the way that works for me and might be more trouble than is worth to some. All the work to the snare (cutting the lock, loading the cable, and tags) is done before boiling.

I start by boiling with baking soda to remove the oil from the outside of the snare cable. Get the water with snares boiling and drop them in with chopped up spruce branches. We are going for scent so I throw in about a gallon of spruce to 5 water gallons. Once it is boiling again add baking soda, it will foam up so don't fill the pot to the top yet. Lower the flame to keep a low boil going and boil for 15 minutes more. Now add cold water through a funnel or hose so you don't mix the scum from the surface back into the pot. Over flow until the surface is clean. I then hang mine over the wood stove to get dry and warm. Then paint, mine are coiled into 6-7" loops bundled in groups of 6. I use a flat white and flat black just spraying the two colors next to each other to get the contrast. I do that in about three places around the bundle, be sure to paint from both sides. Hang back over the stove to dry thoroughly. Then with a new pot of boiling clean water add the snares and more chopped up spruce branches. The more you add the more green the white paint will take. I don't want green so I don't over do it. Boil for 10-15 min. hang outside to dry and they are ready to use. I have had many catches (wolf and coyote) with in three days as that is my trap check schedule.
    Hope this is helpful.

7x7 will take more color from the paint and from the spruce as 1x19 will not color as well.
    An example of a bundle for boiling and paint

The contrast from painting ]

Quote Originally Posted by nooksack View Post
    I paint most of my snares if I have time. This is just the way that works for me and might be more trouble than is worth to some. All the work to the snare (cutting the lock, loading the cable, and tags) is done before boiling.

I start by boiling with baking soda to remove the oil from the outside of the snare cable. Get the water with snares boiling and drop them in with chopped up spruce branches. We are going for scent so I throw in about a gallon of spruce to 5 water gallons. Once it is boiling again add baking soda, it will foam up so don't fill the pot to the top yet. Lower the flame to keep a low boil going and boil for 15 minutes more. Now add cold water through a funnel or hose so you don't mix the scum from the surface back into the pot. Over flow until the surface is clean. I then hang mine over the wood stove to get dry and warm. Then paint, mine are coiled into 6-7" loops bundled in groups of 6. I use a flat white and flat black just spraying the two colors next to each other to get the contrast. I do that in about three places around the bundle, be sure to paint from both sides. Hang back over the stove to dry thoroughly. Then with a new pot of boiling clean water add the snares and more chopped up spruce branches. The more you add the more green the white paint will take. I don't want green so I don't over do it. Boil for 10-15 min. hang outside to dry and they are ready to use. I have had many catches (wolf and coyote) with in three days as that is my trap check schedule.
    Hope this is helpful.

7x7 will take more color from the paint and from the spruce as 1x19 will not color as well.
    An example of a bundle for boiling and paint

The contrast from painting ]
    That's awesome! I like that. I might have to try that. I just boiled mine in baking soda the other night. But now you got me second guessing. I might have to spray paint them like you did. Very camouflage.