Thread: new owner looking for mechanic

Default new owner looking for mechanic

So, I bought my 59 172 in July. I currently am looking for a Mechanic that is ok with owner assisted maintenance and stuff like that. I have been to a couple so far but not fully comfortable. I have heard Precision Plus in Birchwood is very good, any recommendations? I am still new to this new life.

I use Precision Plus, and have always been happy with his service. Super helpful and knowledgable man. Based on my experience, I wouldn't go anywhere else. That said, I don't know how he approaches owner assisted work.

I used to do owner assisted annuals and after a few years realized I was just getting in the way and in the overall scheme it was probably costing me more. I decided it was best to let him do what he does best and for me to go down to work and do what I do best. My annuals have never cost less than they do now.

I don't think my guy works on 172's. I know I am probably in the way at this point doing the annual, but as a new owner I'm happy to pay extra to learn the mechanic side of things.

Brian Smith, Gargoyle Garage. I know a few guys that use him and are very happy. 907-242-2295

thanks guys, ill give precision a call when i get home to finally meet him.

I work with a couple A&P's out at Big Lake Airport and we were working on an owner assist annual on a 172 today and tomorrow. Great guys. Very willing to let you help out. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.