Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a .45-70

Default Thinking about a .45-70

I recently got a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt and have a blast with it. Accurate as can be. I'm thinking about getting a .45-70. Is the recoil punishing? I reload so I could control things to an extent.

In an ideal world a break down would be great but the only ones I've seen are way more expensive than I'd care to spend (WWG Co-Pilot). I'm leaning toward a Marlin 1895 GBL or GSBL but could be convinced otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
    Is the recoil punishing? I reload so I could control things to an extent.
    If you go with loads like the original, they're downright mild. Most guys heat them up, but I shoot mostly original equivalents. It's taught me there's a reason it had such a solid rep when it first came out. Heat it up as your tastes and needs dictate, but I certainly don't feel the need to to that.

If you buy a Marlin, you can load them up, but the .45-70 still ain't bad to shoot.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

What BB said:

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

In two words: DO IT..... There are folks who load them to darn near 458 win mag.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

When I go to the range, I can shoot my .45 Colt from my SRH Toklat and Rossi 92 levergun all day long and have fun. That dynamic changes when I load .454 Casull round into the Toklat. I can handle it with no problems whatsoever but it is just not a fun round to shoot for any length of time, at least for me.

I just hope that the .45-70 can be fun all afternoon at the range (like the .45 Colt) and not just a blow-the-doors-off-of-you, jarring round (like the .454 Casull).
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can load it low or load it hot. If you don't reload you can buy it both ways.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

The original Rem 405 gr loads are fun to shoot IMO, yet they penetrate very well on targets and game... One thing that makes buying guns an easy decision for me is they are easy to sell generally, if you don't like it - hard to go wrong!
    Get you a pair of those 100 round gun-belts to sling over your shoulders and you also will look cool at the range with all them big shiny rounds!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Get you a pair of those 100 round gun-belts to sling over your shoulders and you also will look cool at the range with all them big shiny rounds!
    Do I need to send you sombrero to complete the look.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Can you get those 100-round belts with wheels on them? I'm getting waaaay to geezerly for such loads.

I am with ya BB, if'n I fell down with two loaded bandoliers I likely would have to just lay there and expire!

Bandolier-1.jpg
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I picked up a stainless steel new/old stock Rossi Rio Grande in .45-70 this past spring at a price that I couldn't pass up. It is a considerably lighter gun than the Marlins and as a result, the recoil is quite punishing with modern loads. A Pachmayr Decelerator is a must have on the Rossi in my estimation. I would have stayed with a Marlin but since the Rossi was about $300 cheaper, it'll do as a handy little rifle in the gun boot while I'm out in the back country.

Having a good pad makes a world of difference when shooting hot loads. Seeing as you are in lower 48- you might want to check into Garrett loads. He has killed the big 5 with a 45-70 and has a great product (and nice website). I used those rounds when living down south. Buffalo Bore makes nice rounds for it as well. Light or hot- I love the 45-70! It inspires confidence for some reason....easy to shoot and is forgiving as well as makes a big hole and depending what bullet- can get some amazing penetration.

Those hot loads from Garetts are shoulder crushers. 540 grain +p packs a wallop. I shoot three rounds of them year just to make sure they still hit where I aim. After that it's back to more reasonable rounds.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I had a 45-70 Trap Door Springfield Carbine, for a while. (a long time ago.)

405 grain FLs were fun to shoot. The recoil was more of a push than a punch.

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/45-70-lever-action/

The Round Barrel Version seems like a good choice. tother one is a bit on the heavy side.

Looks like the front sight is dovetailed into the barrel, so could probably put a Peep on the rear, and a Post on the front.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I think the quality of the Henrys is excellent. I just cant get past the tube feeding method versus side ramp. That's why I'm probably going with the Marlin 1895.

I'll handload the .45-70 nice and light at first with a 405 grain Missouri Bullet Co coated bullet. Once I'm comfortable with it then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
    I think the quality of the Henrys is excellent. I just cant get past the tube feeding method versus side ramp. That's why I'm probably going with the Marlin 1895.

I'll handload the .45-70 nice and light at first with a 405 grain Missouri Bullet Co coated bullet. Once I'm comfortable with it then go from there.
    That's a point, but wouldn't it be easier loading from the tube?

If you need a round in a hurry, load it single shot. ???

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I'll have to go to a gun store and fiddle with it. When I go to the range, I'll usually shoot 50-100 rounds. I can't imagine having to put the Henry down, slide out the tube, load then slide it back 25 times. I suspect that would grow old quickly. The Marlin GBL has a 6-round capacity and I can just feed it.

Also, I've gotten used to the feel of a big loop on the Rossi. I'd lose that with the Henry unless it was available as an add-on feature. I'll check and see.

I have the Marlin XLR version with 24 in bbl and really like it a lot. I can't see any downside to the longer bbl in most cases and I like the added weight and velocity potential. Also gets the muzzle blast a bit further away... Loading it can be a bit of a hassle through the port door when shooting a lot of rounds - personally I would like the tube load better and it would be easier to unload as well..
    Marlin 4570.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I have the Marlin XLR version with 24 in bbl and really like it a lot. I can't see any downside to the longer bbl in most cases and I like the added weight and velocity potential. Also gets the muzzle blast a bit further away... Loading it can be a bit of a hassle through the port door when shooting a lot of rounds - personally I would like the tube load better and it would be easier to unload as well..
    Marlin 4570.jpg
    I wanted one with the longer barrel just for those reasons....a friend brought one with an 18 1/2" barrel, and when I saw the short barrel I said "it's nice and all but I was looking for one with the longer barrel". He said if you don't buy it I'll never bring you another rifle! He was half kidding (kind of an eccentric old guy) so I bought it....just to find out later it was a Remlin. I think you guys schooled me about them. Sure enough when I carefully looked at the sight alignment I could easily see that the front sight was off center. Didn't even shoot it. I got rid of it. As a side note, my 14 year old son took a nice 10 point on his first day ever deer hunting with me by his side, with a Baikal SxS 45-70 just 3 weeks ago! I loaded 300 grain Hornaday hollow point to about 1750 fps with IMR 4064.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast