Thread: stearns inflatable?????

Default stearns inflatable?????

ME and a friend are looking to buy a 2 man stearns inflatable canoe. I was looking for some feed back on them. they look pretty decent. i can get one new for 300. the market price is 400. so any help or info you all have would be much appreciated.

It has been my experience with the cheap inflatables that they are poor at best. In a quiet lake......maybe....but if you're going to be serious about canoeing, start saving your pennys for a pioneer or aire. They're expensive but when you consider what's riding in them.............
    Good Luck.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Default inflatable canoe

Depending on how rough you are on any equipment will dictate its life time.
    I have a friend that has used a inflatable kayak he paid less than $300 bucks for. He has had it 4 years now and uses it several times each summer. He takes care of it and realizes it is not a white water craft, or something you just bang the rocks with.
    For a fun playboat on lakes and non rocky rivers it has done just fine.
    He would never entertain a remote trip with it though.
    As a note, I have carried with me several times on remote float trips, a 10 lb 2 man plastic inflatable raft.($65.00) I keep it rolled up tight and have never used it, but I have always thought that in the event I ruined my big raft, I could possibly use the little 2 man boat to get down river in an emergency.
    I do this because some years ago, I had a friend of mine loose a 15 foot Avon raft in a log jam. The Raft was flipped and then pushed under the Logs and then due to hydrolic pressures in the 10's of thousands of pounds, the raft was torn to bits, they lost all their food, the moose they shot, their guns and were able to only find one sleeping bag.
    They attempted to walk out along the river, and walked 2 days with no food. Finally anouther rafter came along and they loaded on with those guys.
    The fellows that picked my friend up was helpful and kind, and decided to just head for the take out point rather than try to continue to hunt.
    My friend felt very bad for putting an end to these Samaritans trip.
    If they would have had a backup raft on this trip, they may have lost it too in the log jam, and so it would be useless if they could not find it, but not every raft wreck is the same, and so I would take my chance that I could find and make the cheapy raft work... "be Positive"..
    Anyway.. Something is better than nothing, and if your budget does not allow for a super tough expedition canoe, and you plan and use the craft without surpassing its ability,, then get on the water and have fun.
    but ... always wear your PFD... always....
    .... three men drowned in different parts of Alaska in the past 2 weeks due to these young men not wearing a life vest... Kenai river, a lake near Anchorage on the military base, and a lake up near Fairbanks,, all could have survived if they had just put the vest on..
    Max
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 07-04-2007 at 11:58. Reason: added stuff
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thumbs up Sterns = Toy

I one alot of inflatable canoes and rafts and it is my feeling that you get exactly what you pay for in inflatables. If you’re objective is to paddle in the gravel pit on the edge of town your going to do just fine with a entry level “toy” like a Sterns. If you have any aspirations of doing any trip that puts you off of the beaten path or you can’t see the parking lot you need to invest in something that that is safe and reliable.

I took a neighbor on a 6 day float trip into the Brooks Range always stressing the importance of planning and quality equipment. The night before we flew out of Kotzebue I went over to do a check list with them and I found a Sterns Raft and almost came unglued. There was no way to convince these rookies that you don’t take a toy in to the wilderness. The trip was a disaster. We took all of their gear in out 12 foot NRS and one of them because that “TOY” was a disaster in the making.

Going on the cheap is almost always a mistake. Go with a rental or spend the extra money and get some thing that is a true inflatable and not a pool toy. Sorry Strens!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals in all of NW Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

thanks for the advice guys but your not telling me anything i don;t already know. i had no intention of using this for anything local lake fishing. maybe a hike in to redshirt. but the fact is i'm a poor college kid so cost was a issue. I always use a pfd when i'm out on any kind of water craft u would be foolish not to in this state. but thatnks again guys but i will say it is a fun toy thats for sure.