Thread: Remington 783

Default Remington 783

Ok....who's got one? Watcha think?

Thanks in advance.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

A friend of mine just won one at an NRA banquet.

The scope included was a piece of crap (works, but it's crap- likely a low end Bushnell). The rest of the rifle was pleasantly solid- much improved over the ridiculous 770 guns. I'd have to rate it on par with a Savage or a Ruger American... same barrel nut type headspacing. Should be pretty decent for the meager cash outlay.

I'd skip the package gun in the Remington- that Savage comes with a Nikon and the Ruger with a Redfield, neither are "premium" scopes but both were a huge improvement over the one included on the 783.

We're going to go shoot it soon and I'll let you know how it works.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

IIRC, elmerkeithclone instigated a thread, and had some praise for them.

Just to put in a good word for them, I like Bushnell scopes, and I have 7 of'em. I don't have any High End scopes.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

My son had one in stainless. It never grouped. I put on a nikon prostaff and still no dice.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

In general the literature I read when investigating budget rifles put it behind the Marlin XL7, American, savage and Stevens rifles.

I handled one and was not interested. Could have been a holdover from the previous budget models that lingered in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have put scopes on a half a dozen of them in 223, 243 and 308. They all shot around an inch. Nothing over an inch and a half. I kept a short barreled 243 with thoughts of having JES turn it into a 358 win. I can find no fault in them and rate them on par with a Ruger American.