Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak brown bear down!

Great photos! Thanks for sharing them! Congrats to you and the client!

Thanks for this thread, Jake.

As you know, the negative opinions of a few do not reflect the views of the majority. And whether they do or not, they do not at all reflect the position of this site, where all are welcome. Especially commercial service providers who make it possible for so many of us to see our dreams fulfilled. For many, you are as necessary as an ammunition manufacturer, a flight service, a gear company or any other of the many resources we rely on for our enjoyment of the Alaska outdoors.

I have heard, on occasion, that this site presents an "anti-guide" perspective. That is certainly not the case. I am both the owner of the site and a registered guide myself, and I heartily endorse guiding and other commercial services in Alaska, as do many thousands of others who participate here. While there are some who don't appreciate guiding in Alaska, and while there is no question that there are a few guides around who reach too far, even to the point of breaking the law or violating ethical standards, this site merely provides a platform for expressing views about these things. The provision of that platform is in no way an endorsement or condemnation of those views, and I would like to think that we are taking the high road by allowing opposing views to be expressed here, within the context of our forum rules.

Please, by all means keep posting about your activities! Many of us enjoy hearing from you.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Outstanding. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by injun joe View Post
    To preface this, I am NOT talking smack in this post. Which is the guide and which is the client (I don't know what BRWNBR looks like)? If I shot either of those bucks or that bear I would definitely want to be in the photo! I would also want my guide to be in the photo if I hired one and he put me on those critters. Either way, those are all great looking animals! As everybody else said, keep them coming!!
    Jake, the guide, is in the pic with the bear......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Definitely a better forum with a few Jake posts as they are always helpful and informative. A few nice grip-n-grin pictures always helps too. Keep it coming Jake.

Way to go, Jake! Keep on representing.

Great job and pictures!
    This is defiantly a must do hunt for any hunter! I had the time of my life on the island this year!

Impressive. Congrats on a successful hunt!!
    Lurker.

Congrats, what awesome animals.

There are other forums for the haters, they can pee in the water at their own pool party. That's getting it done in the highest fashion. Any green horn thats not from that part of the world would be crazier than a loon for not getting the best guide unless they wanted to become a turd in the forest.

Will, thanks for posting that info. I printed it off and will put it where all of the hunters here about can see it....... The bulletin board at Brownells!

Atta Boy Jake!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Jake, the guide, is in the pic with the bear......
    Right on. Thanks. Again, Excellent work!

Nice pics and animals. Negative comments won't ever go away. As you know Alaska "ain't what she used to be". Seasons are shorter, road accessible moose and caribou populations will never be like in days past and competition from different user groups put a bulls eye on many who seek financial gain from Alaskan resources.

You seem like a decent and hard working guy, so please post pics when ever you want to. I like them!

From a non-resident, thanks for posting. We all down here like to be able to come up once in awhile. Everything is changing so its the new normal.

I've been up there and really enjoyed it every time, this year was even better. We met with some luck early and bagged a 10'6" monster at mid-mountain. He was up in the alpine and partially shielded from our glassing point. We made the climb and when we got closer we were impressed, he came in on us, circled high, and returned. Gave an ideal profile. Took him with a heart shot followed by a lifeless cartwheeling tumble down a 150 foot ravine. It was a remarkable pursuit, I'll never forget it.

SHULSE01, did I miss the picture and story ? If not could you give us the details ?

My oversight, had some trouble with adding the photo. Here it is, taken this fall.

Green score on the skull was 27.5", body was huge 10'6" squared (117x136). When we rolled him out in the alders he was enormous. As mentioned in my earlier post, he was up in the alpine, next to a set of waterfalls, and the rain was coming in; when we got up there, he responded to an initial call and we located him coming our way. We made the adjustment to the closer knoll and he had circled above and behind us. He was coming in for a better look, then rotated to get a different view. That's when he gave me an ideal profile and shot - long climb up, 2 spots, and a clean dispatch at 165 yards out and about 100 feet up. Time stopped as we were in the moment, completely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Whohoo, what an awesome Bear. Can you share who the guide was? Looks like a perfect shot. What caliber?

Thanks, it really played out well. I use a .375 H&H, it's my go-to rifle. My guide was Curtis Byrd, he is excellent, has been working that area for a while and knows the terrain. I'll use him again on other hunts. There is a collection of fantastic guides on Kodiak, which I depend on as a non-resident.

Man, that second one might not be as pretty as the first buck, but holy cow is he heavy horned! And tall!

Well Done Jake, Congrat's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast