Thread: Spot and Stalk Spring Black Bear

Default Spot and Stalk Spring Black Bear

I'm hoping to get opinions on the best week(s) to spot and stalk black bears on the peninsula. I was thinking 2nd or 3rd week of May? Is it even worth my time when everyone is running baits? I will only have about a week so starting a bait in that time is not likely. I really want to get one spot and stalk. I was down there a few months ago (end of August) and couldn't find a bear. Is mid May a good time to spot and stalk blackies? Any opinions? Thanks guys.

Yep, that is a good time. You want to catch it before the alder leaves un-ferrule. After that you loose visibility to 90+ percent of the mountan-sides.

It varies from year to year but about May 12-13 the leaves just poop open. So if you only have one week, I would pick the second week of May.

Quote Originally Posted by huntfishtrap247 View Post
    I'm hoping to get opinions on the best week(s) to spot and stalk black bears on the peninsula. I was thinking 2nd or 3rd week of May? Is it even worth my time when everyone is running baits? I will only have about a week so starting a bait in that time is not likely. I really want to get one spot and stalk. I was down there a few months ago (end of August) and couldn't find a bear. Is mid May a good time to spot and stalk blackies? Any opinions? Thanks guys.
    It's going to vary a little each year depending on snow conditions. If we don't get much snow and a warm spring then you might try a little earlier. If we still have lots of snow, then maybe a little later. Take a few rides to keep an eye on avalanche shoots. When it looks like the snow is starting to leave them then I'd start looking. Get out your spotting scope and try to look at multiple hillsides from long distances. You start seeing black spots up there then plan your week.

Spot and stalk pretty much means looking at steep south facing hillsides. Most baiting takes place in the lowlands, usually not too far from a road, and in the thick stuff. So yes, it's worth your time as not all the bears will be down there on baits, especially not when they come right out of their dens.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks guys. Would it be a better idea to cover a lot of ground by driving and spotting from the truck, or should I backpack in to some high ground, camp, and glass ridges from the alpine? Are they low this time of year or above tree line?

Well, if you want to make a real hunt of it then I'd hike back into a good area and spend a few days. Some bears den down low and some up high. A guy can always "get lucky" and run across one in the lowlands, but it's a heck of a lot easier looking for a black spot up on an open hillside. Getting to them may be a different story. Thus one of the reasons people bait....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    It varies from year to year but about May 12-13 the leaves just poop open.

It really stinks when they do that....