Thread: A manís gotta know his limitations

Default A manís gotta know his limitations

For years I wanted to move to Alaska. Back in the 1950ís I used to subscribe to Alaska Magazine. Life followed along with marriage to a wonderful woman who was willing to follow me nearly anywhere but Alaska. When my sweetie was dying of cancer in 2011 she said that after she was gone I could finally move to Alaska. After Gail died I looked into moving long and hard, Iím extremely self-reliant, I can fix anything, Iím a geologist, Iíve loved the outdoors all my life and cold weather and snow doesnít bother me in the least. What finally killed my dream was the thought of facing the long months of winter darkness and the SAD that I knew would invariably follow. What I finally did in 2013 was to purchase and move into a 1994 33í Class A RV. After much renovation including installing a new rebuilt engine Iíve been traveling the lower 48 and living full-time in my home-on-wheels spending winters in southeastern AZ hunting quail, camping, hiking, mineral prospecting and enjoying the winter sunshine. Yep, in my old age Iíve become a SUNBIRD and can say tohellwith SAD. Itís a good life!

Steve

PS I'm hoping in the next year or so to drive to Alaska for a few months in the summer, but not in my 7mpg RV but rather in my 25mpg Dodge Caravan campmobile.
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

Well, if you make the trip, and it works for both of us, I would be happy to visit with you in beautiful downtown Hope, Alaska.

I've visited Alaska several times in the past but have always flown. One of my adventure dreams as a young man was to drive up to Alaska. I realize it's not the adventure it was 50 years ago but then I'm no longer 18 either. Since one of my plans was to explore more of the Kenai Peninsula (my son and I drove a rental car from Anchorage to Seward in 1993) this time I wanted to drive to Homer as well. I looked up Hope AK. How do you get there, by boat or plane? I sure didn't see any roads from the Seward Highway.

Steve
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Seward Highway mile 70.7 is the Hope Cut off.

Right turn when you are heading south.

16.5 miles to Hope.

Hope is one of our favorite villages.

Click here