Thread: Lake Louise

Default Lake Louise

When do the trails around Lake Louise typically become ridable? And when is the usually safe for crossing Lake Louise and other lakes in the vicinity? Thanks.

Looks like their webcam is frozen at the moment, but there is some useful info on this page - http://lakelouiselodge.com/weather/index.htm
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

As of last Sunday, it was only frozen right near the south shore, barely out to the first islands. Probably going to be a while before it is even frozen over much less solid enough to hold weight.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Looks like their webcam is frozen at the moment, but there is some useful info on this page - http://lakelouiselodge.com/weather/index.htm
    Hey Thanks AKmud. Yeah I'm familiar with John's website. Very useful. I was thinking about heading up there around Thanksgiving to do some riding. I wasn't sure if the ice would be safe by then or if the trails would be in good enough condition by then. I know they don't get groomed until January sometime, but I was just wondering when it typically gets safe for riding out that way. Thanks.

I was thinking about going up to Lake Louise this weekend. Anybody have an update on the lake ice ?

Anybody been up to Lake Louis lately? How are the trails? Any overflow issues still going on? I know it was bad out there a few weeks ago, but it's been pretty cold up that way since then and very littles snowfall.

The Wolf Pack has updated their web site. No grooming yet but the trail on the lakes is marked. I was up there two weeks ago and there was some residual overflow in a few places but mostly the trails were already frozen over and rutted. Assuming my machine starts in the morning I'm headed up there tomorrow and will post an update on my return.

http://www.lakelouisesnowmachineclub...onditions.html

Went out there yesterday. All the creeks and lakes are completely frozen solid, no overflow issues at all. On the lakes there is very little snow. Make sure if you go bring some scratchers. On the trails through the woods there was probably about 6 inches of snow. The riding was bumpy and slow going. Most of the trails are not groomed.

Was out yesterday and today on Lake Louise and the trails on the east side. There's been a skiff of snow to smooth things out but not much change over the last two weeks. I did see the Wolf Pack out grooming today on Louise and the N-S Seismic trail. Check their web page for trail updates.

From what ive heard now, one cood safely drive a truck out on the ice to his favorite sopt. Wood u agree or is the ice not thick enough yet??? Thanx...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

I'll defer judgments on safety to those who actually know something about that. The Lake Louise Lodge is closed right now, but they are opening up the bar on weekends. While enjoying a hot cup of coffee, we did see a pickup truck drive off the lake and up the boat launch. The caretaker guy at the lodge was a little PO'd at the driver because they don't want road vehicles accessing the lake from their property as it creates huge ruts in the packed snow. He wanted to make sure the driver knew that lake access is available at the public launch and that the Lake Louise Lodge does not allow vehicles to access the lake from their property. So yeah, you can drive on the lake but please do so from the public boat launch.

You just opened up a can o worms bob.

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    I'll defer judgments on safety to those who actually know something about that. The Lake Louise Lodge is closed right now, but they are opening up the bar on weekends. While enjoying a hot cup of coffee, we did see a pickup truck drive off the lake and up the boat launch. The caretaker guy at the lodge was a little PO'd at the driver because they don't want road vehicles accessing the lake from their property as it creates huge ruts in the packed snow. He wanted to make sure the driver knew that lake access is available at the public launch and that the Lake Louise Lodge does not allow vehicles to access the lake from their property. So yeah, you can drive on the lake but please do so from the public boat launch.
    The bar/lodge is NOT open on weekends. Once in a while John will open up the lodge for a few hours if enough people are around but don't count on it. They will be back open full time around Valentines day for the sweetheart poker ride. And yes, please stay off the trails with tracked wheelers and trucks. It really tears up the trail and makes it unsafe to ride them with all the ruts. It's a beautiful place, lets keep it that way..

Just to clarify if I want to go down there and rent a place for a couple of nights for riding, there is no place open for that??????
    Tim

Roger that, not for 5 more weeks. The lodge is closed for the winter and will reopen on February 12.

http://lakelouiselodge.com/

There is someone there to sell gas and propane as needed and receive money for parking. As noted above, on the weekends they may open up the bar. My wife and I were there on Saturday and Sunday last weekend. We stayed overnight in Glennallen, which besides being about an additional hour's worth of driving no longer has a restaurant in town.

Edit to add: I'm only speaking to the Lake Louise Lodge. The Point lodge ( http://www.thepointlodge.com/ ) may be open, dunno.

Thanx fur the update and notice bout vehcycle access at the public boat launch. Sure wood hate to be penilazed for goin out on that lake just because I cant afford a snowmachine. "Fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Thanx fur the update and notice bout vehcycle access at the public boat launch. Sure wood hate to be penilazed for goin out on that lake just because I cant afford a snowmachine. "Fishon"
    It can be a safety issue like Steve said. Just a couple weeks ago I was out in that area driving my snowmachine and someone came along right after me with a 4 wheeler and completely messed up the trail. On my way out I had to be careful and drive under 20 because the deep ruts that were left behind by the 4 wheeler made it almost impossible to stay on the trail. The ruts kept sucking my snowmachine off the trail and made me lose control of my steering. It's just common courtesy and safety. That's all. Not some conspiracy to keep people without snowmachines out.

Riton Riton. Thanx fur clarifyin it fur me. So as long as I stay off the trails, im ok, right?

Bushwhack , What you just said is the same thing that Alexandra has been trying to explain about the trail out to his area out on the Su.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    It can be a safety issue like Steve said. Just a couple weeks ago I was out in that area driving my snowmachine and someone came along right after me with a 4 wheeler and completely messed up the trail. On my way out I had to be careful and drive under 20 because the deep ruts that were left behind by the 4 wheeler made it almost impossible to stay on the trail. The ruts kept sucking my snowmachine off the trail and made me lose control of my steering. It's just common courtesy and safety. That's all. Not some conspiracy to keep people without snowmachines out.

I was out hauling loads to the property this weekend and trails are going fast. The lakes will probably be good at least through next week, but the trails are starting to look pretty threadbare. N-S Seismic Line had snow for the most part, but dirt is starting to show down the center of the trail. A big overflow puddle just south of intersection with Misery Trail was frozen in the morning but about 6" deep in the afternoon. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get one more load in next weekend, but that will likely involve a lot of tussock riding and mud bogging.