Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunt stove choice, assistance or suggestions??

Default Sheep hunt stove choice, assistance or suggestions??

Going to be flown in for 10 days. Two people. Begining of the season, 8-18 August.
    Coffee and oatmeal for breakfast.
    Cold lunch and mountain house dinners.
    I have an MSR Pocket Rocket, Dragonfly and a Whisperlite International.
    Can you give me some suggestions on which to bring and how much fuel??
    Thanks for the tips
    Jason

Whisperlite, repair kit for same and 22oz MSR bottle. When you turn the stove off blow out the flame rather than letting it "die" and it will help prevent carbon sooting up the fuel apertures. Also using a wind screen will help lessen furl usage. Good luck.

Default 1 Bottle?

I also have the Whistperlite International. I have a 22oz bottle and a larger one (can't remember the size). Going on a 10 day - 2 week walk in hunt with maybe two people. Was going to take both bottles. It sounds like that is too much?

Take the pocket rocket and the whisperlite.2 large bottles and 2 cannisters. The pocket rocket is great for spiking and the whisperlite is great for main camp. You can get a bunch of gear in a Cub, more than I thought.

Default whisperlite

last year two of us used less than half a bottle of fuel with the whisperlite when sheep hunting for 10 days.
    I would still take a full bottle of fuel and the whisperlite.

Default jet boil stoves seem nice

not really a stove. hooks on to its own mug style container and you fire it up, bush button style. water heated up fast and uses small cans of fuel. the guys said they used only close to one can of fuel, they were little. I was impressed with how it worked and will most likely be my new stove when I need. since all i ever do is just boil water for meals. The one guy is a sheep hunter and is a member on this forum. All I can say I was convinced. But other than that I can't make a recomendation of the three you already have. Whisperlite sounds good though.

I also have both of your stoves. I used the Whisperlite for many years. I always thought it was a pain to use so when the Jetboil came out I purchased it. I will be using it again this year.

I was looking at getting in new MRS reactor but it still hasn't been released yet.

Do what I am going to do. I am going to be selling both my Dragonfly and a Whisperlite International and purchase another Jetboil for a spare.

After years of packing in stoves for sheep hunting since the '60's I finally have what to me is the only choice. I progressed from years of a lightweight small military white gas stove to a white gas msr stove and now have finally settled on a Coleman miniature stove with the small cannister. IMO it is far superior. The large cannister has served two of us for over 7 days and even the small container of fuel has been fine for five days. The MSR pocket rocket is similar. There is no gas odor or worry about carrying it in my plane. Always starts immediately with a small controlled flame on ignition, heats VERY hot and weighs almost nothing even with fuel. I take the small can on packing and leave a larger can in the plane. I keep track of how many times I use each fuel container

Default the voice of experience

1. I have been hunting the north side of the Brooks since for almost 15 years
    2. canister stoves don't work well below 25 to 30 degrees - you will only be able to use about 1/2 of the vol of your canister REGARDLESS OF THE TYPE OF MIX
    3. I would keep the Jetboil....but I would NOT get rid of the Whisperlite...just my recommendation...final choice of course is yours
    4. In my experience cold Mountain House leaves something to be desired

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    1. I have been hunting the north side of the Brooks since for almost 15 years
    2. canister stoves don't work well below 25 to 30 degrees - you will only be able to use about 1/2 of the vol of your canister REGARDLESS OF THE TYPE OF MIX
    3. I would keep the Jetboil....but I would NOT get rid of the Whisperlite...just my recommendation...final choice of course is yours
    4. In my experience cold Mountain House leaves something to be desired

Just a question: Have you tried putting a metal wind shield around the stove like the ones that come with the MSR stoves to provide some warmth to the cannister? We haven't done that yet because on our hunts the cannisters have always worked fine, but have thought of it. It would seem that should allow the canister to work well in colder temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by driveacub View Post
    After years of packing in stoves for sheep hunting since the '60's I finally have what to me is the only choice. I progressed from years of a lightweight small military white gas stove to a white gas msr stove and now have finally settled on a Coleman miniature stove with the small cannister. IMO it is far superior. The large cannister has served two of us for over 7 days and even the small container of fuel has been fine for five days. The MSR pocket rocket is similar. There is no gas odor or worry about carrying it in my plane. Always starts immediately with a small controlled flame on ignition, heats VERY hot and weighs almost nothing even with fuel. I take the small can on packing and leave a larger can in the plane. I keep track of how many times I use each fuel container
    I too use the Coleman version of the Pocket Rocket and love it.I really like that the cans have flat bottoms so you can set them anywhere you need to.I take 1 can for 2 people,2 cans for 3 just in case.They dont take up any room and are very light.

Tim

As far as how much fuel to bring, regardless of stove type - in the past, depending on if I was packing in alone or with someone, wether we'd be truck camping or bivy-ing, I'd just pre-burn a tank of fuel and time it. Then I'd cook with it a few times and find out about how long it took to cook what I was gonna eat. Instance- on a bivy pack in, I'd boil a mountainhouse size portion of water- say it took 6 mins. Then I'd boil a coffee - oatmeal size portion of water - say that took 4 mins. Then I'd know that I needed 10 mins a day, plus an error factor. If my main "fill up" burned for 45 minutes, then I'd know I was probably good for four days, definitely 3 1/2. It's worked great for me - never ran out of fuel and never packed too much. Just my $.02. And, after going through some problems with the super mini style liquid stoves, as well as on tiny butane style (mostly clogging, poor flame, leaked fuel, etc.), I just gave up on them, bought a WalMart Coleman camping screw-on propane stove. Carry that and a bottle of propane- haven't had a problem ever since. I know they're heavy, but I much prefer to carry that and M-House & Ramen and eat it hot, rather than save 3 pounds and eat cold. Just my opinion. And, they're handy if you need to start a fire with wet wood- just pick 'em up and tilt 'em right at the wood- it'll burn in two minutes. (also handy to unthaw the horse trailer hitch after freezing rain/snow!)
    Ed

I will never use a canister stove again. The butane/propane mixture burns one of the fuels quicker than the other. So, when you get to about half or a third of a cannister left you are not getting full heat. I have always had to shake the burning stove to get it to "flame up". The reason for the mix is to get a hotter flame. Plus they are affected by cold and not sub zero cold. Like shphntr said, 25-30 degrees.

I say a use good stove that burns white gas or any other liquid fuel. I guess in your case the wisperlight. The MSR XGK seems to be the mountaineering ol reliable industry standard. They just work. I now have one after using one with my buddies for years. I say go cannister free!

Default alcohol stoves

jason, have you looked at alcohol stoves? they're cheap (trangia is under $25 or you can make them from aluminum cans), silent, light, have no parts that can break, and don't require special fuel containers (i use 20 oz pop bottles).

Default Look at JetBoil.

I have had a pile of stoves over the years and really got seriuos with them after spending alot of time above 9200. That is our fire ban elevation here. I have a pocket rocket which I never liked. I have a whisper which is very nice but "messy" This year I have gone to the JetBoil and until something can beat that the rest stay home. I have heard of the low temperture trouble but have not experienced it. I have only used Jet Boil fuel thou. There is a big difference in fuels. With the JetBoil gas I can have 2 cups COLD stream water boiling in less than a measured minute. This is at 8600 feet.

My jetboil coffee press set up and extra pan weight less than my Whisperjet and its set up.

I second the pocket rocket too....K

Default Throw them all away!

and buy a coleman extreme exponet :-)
    Take three cans of fuel, they are lighter, compress to nothing when empty. Burns a low tempertures (pre-heater loop) Check the stats on these stoves. I have tried them all and they smoke the rest by far. Especailly if you have some wet days, there is nothing like clean burning iso-butane. Don't by into the low temp hype, these stoves have come a long way. I have used mine at 18 deg f with out a problem, the pre-heat loop not only allows you to burn at low temps, it helps the fuel burn consistant until the bottle is empty. And at 14,000 btu's you will boil water faster than anything on the market!

for those of you using only 1/2 your canister fuel cans, heat about an inch of water get it boiling and just slowing pour it on your can, it'll warm up the liquified gas and turn it back to gas and you can burn every last drop of fuel outa those cans, shakin' it don't help much after a while, i've used mine in the low teens and single digit temps and just have to keep the can warm, sleeping bag, inside a coat and/or just dump a little water on it...still WAYYYY Easier and cleaner than whitegas or a whisperlight stove, i've had three and they've all broke. pocket rocket is my back up to the jetboil, only stoves i carry on my sheep hunts for my clients, most go home and buy the jetboil for the deer stand. haven't seen the coleman one mentioned above yet though.
    jetboil for two guys on an eight day sheep hunt uses less than two cans of fuel, i take four in case i wanna heat my tent up a few times...soooo nice!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have used the Pocket Rocket for 8 day pack in sheep hunt. It worked well. We took in 4 canisters of fuel and had plenty. I never had a problem with temps but it didn't get very cold. We used a .5 liter Ti pot to cook in. This coupled with the PR gave us a nice light cook set. Each person just had to eat at different times. A windscreen is key.

In the winter I use an EGK or a Whisperlite though.

Default stove

I vote for the coleman exponent .I have used this stove forabout 7 years and it cant be beat.2 cans of fuel for a week will do for two guys and that stove will outburn anything that I have seen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast