Thread: A "Different" Electra-dyne Mount

Default A "Different" Electra-dyne Mount

Have any of you guys seen anything like this? Instead of mounting via the face plate, the puller is mounted through the 4 threaded holes on one side of the gear box.

I'd think mounting it like that would put quite the strain on the gearbox casing. I'd rather use the bolt holes in the backing plate.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'd think mounting it like that would put quite the strain on the gearbox casing. I'd rather use the bolt holes in the backing plate.
    That was my main concern. It still uses the faceplate's U bracket to support the gearbox with 8, 5/16 bolts. I guess if it failed it would be a seriously rude and expensive awakening. The darn thing fits almost perfectly on my wide gunnels. By the way, how many shims are installed on a new Electra-dyne?

You could always add a piece of plate to that mount that would use the backing plate for the mount. Other thing i'd look real close at is that all the strain from the davit is on the plate bolted through the gunnel cap, no bracing going down to the deck so i hope you have some skookum gunnels!
    2 thin and 1 thick shims come with a new hauler.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

The gunnels are 1/2" ply glassed on both sides. Since the area is so open, it will be easy to add additional support. It will go in about the same place as the one pictured. Not crazy about giving up the space...it will protrude an additional 7-9" inboard compared to the box set up.. Ran it by Larry @ Electra-dyne. He seemed to like it. If it doesn't work well, there is always plan B,C,D..etc.

if it were me i'd just angle that box you have now out some and make a mount for a nice short davit and forget about that other thing sticking up in the air. 1/2" ply and some glass aint much for strength when you have all that leverage hanging off the block on the end of the davit on a light and skinney boat like yours. Keep the weight and leverage low.
    rough idea of what i'd do on your boat and what i had on my bowpicker.
    dec davit & hauler.jpggary2.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692