Thread: Sling Swivels?

Default Sling Swivels?

I have several different slings on my guns, and now crossbow, and they all seem pretty standard on how they attach. My question is I like to remove my sling from my crossbow when I am sitting and the standard push the post, rotate the arm, and slip off style are a little challenging in the dark as it seems the travel of the small rod should be a bit longer for comfort?
    Does anybody make a bit more user friendly version?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Check out the locking versions, as from Uncle Mikes. The knob is easier to feel and operate with cold hands, so I assume the same in the dark. Bonus points go to keeping the sling from popping off when you're twisting and turning through rough terrain. They're all I use now.

You might consider the Military "Push" type QD sling system.

BB the bow came with the Uncle Mikes version with the little rubber sleeve over the locking pin and it wore out rather fast and would not grip the locking screw.
    AGL I looked those up and the Magpul Paraclip and push QD may just do it! Thanks.. This setup will be removed and replaced probably 50 or more times a season so takes more abuse than a general use on a rifle that most of us simply leave on. Difference is when you have a crafty old whitetail at 20 yards, or less, on a dead still morning, anything that can create noise or movement is best to remove from your set up.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    BB the bow came with the Uncle Mikes version with the little rubber sleeve over the locking pin and it wore out rather fast and would not grip the locking screw.
    I was referring to the version with the twist knob on the end of the push pin. You have to turn it a few times to back it off, then push on it rather than the small end of the pin. This looks like the one I'm talking about. Lots easier to use, like I say, and it locks down too.

^^^^^^ I have some of those on my 300, work great and easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I was referring to the version with the twist knob on the end of the push pin. You have to turn it a few times to back it off, then push on it rather than the small end of the pin. This looks like the one I'm talking about. Lots easier to use, like I say, and it locks down too.
    Yep we are on the same page, thats the one that came with the set up. It worked ok for one season but the rubber sleeve got to the point it would not reliably grip the screw/pin and it became a pain to work. When you take it off and on maybe 4 times a day it did not hold up. I have those on a couple rifle set ups and they work fine - but I seldom take them off also...

...rubber sleeve....
    I bet we're not on the same page, because there's no rubber sleeve in any of mine. Haven't bought any new ones in about 15 years, so we could be seeing some kind of more recent design change.

Tells me I'll have to be looking at them first-hand if I ever need any more, because I sure wouldn't want any kind of rubber in there.

Thanks for the heads up!

I bet we're not on the same page, because there's no rubber sleeve in any of mine. Haven't bought any new ones in about 15 years, so we could be seeing some kind of more recent design change.

Tells me I'll have to be looking at them first-hand if I ever need any more, because I sure wouldn't want any kind of rubber in there.

Thanks for the heads up!
    The one in the link you sent has the rubber or plastic sleeve - I have several slings with these on them and they are all that way. It allows you to squeeze down on the threaded rod and get better grip. I have never seen one that was made any differently?

Huh....

The "knobs" on all mine are metal. But like I say, evidently old technology. Just screw them back off until they hit the stop, then press down on them to push open the swivel. Basically what I'm calling a knob is a knurled steel "cap" threaded onto the end of the push shaft with a stop so it won't come all the way off. I have them on a dozen or so rifle slings, but none newer than at least 15 years. Only drawback I see has been that you really need to get water and salt out of the threaded area, then lube, as a part of your normal cleaning routine. They're definitely steel and prone to rusting shut without care.

Huh....

The "knobs" on all mine are metal. But like I say, evidently old technology. Just screw them back off until they hit the stop, then press down on them to push open the swivel. Basically what I'm calling a knob is a knurled steel "cap" threaded onto the end of the push shaft with a stop so it won't come all the way off. I have them on a dozen or so rifle slings, but none newer than at least 15 years. Only drawback I see has been that you really need to get water and salt out of the threaded area, then lube, as a part of your normal cleaning routine. They're definitely steel and prone to rusting shut without care.
    I use the same. (http://www.unclemikes.com/accessories/standard-swivels). All metal, threaded sleeve and spring loaded mechanism. No rubber, no design changes in recent history. At least two standard strap sizes. Pretty standard fare; almost every sporting goods/gun shop I've ever been in stocks them. Have never encountered the animal Smokey is describing.

I prefer them with European style bases:

And a Montana Sling (which comes standard with the Uncle Mikes QD's):
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

OK, I have to eat some crow I reckon! I checked my slings tonight and the ones like we are talking about do have a metal or aluminum composite grip piece! Apparently I had used the one so much it would not bite on the threads anymore, perhaps by over use or backing it too far off...
    How long do you bake a crow anyways???

How long do you bake a crow anyways???
    A little over an hour at 425. There are some really good recipes online. Maybe you should start a new thread...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist