Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling reports

Default Calling reports

Any buddy go out calling yet?

Notyet, I'm trying to wait until Dec 1 to head out. but we'll see I have a Fairbankscow tag I'm trying to fill and haven't really scouted much. It should beanother rough year for Lynx this fall is the first rabbit I've seen in 3 years!oh well I'll shoot a fox or coyote no problem!

been out once, walking was tough-not frozen and breaking thru, thats changing this week
    "f/64 and be there"

I called in a red fox yesterday outside of fairbanks, no one wanted to go hunting with me, couldnt get a shot, so it lived to see another day.

I'll bet it has been more than ten years, the time I last seen a Red Fox on the upper Kenai Peninsula. In fact I rarely see any fox around here. More coyotes here than ever before. Hares appear to have bottomed last year in my general area. Seen two Lynx this fall, that is encouraging. With No snow (1 1/2" only) I'll bet a few big bears are still wandering around the low country.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDan View Post
    I called in a red fox yesterday outside of fairbanks, no one wanted to go hunting with me, couldnt get a shot, so it lived to see another day.

I went out this morning, day started out as a cluster ****, the e break on the wheeler was frozen... Heard some coyotes I believe they caught my scent. Called in a fox that caught us completely by surprise.. Pulled the trigger and the gun didn't go bang.... Few more weeks and hopefully the river will be froze up

Can I ask what call you used? Hare in distress? I've had a fair bit of success in calling in lynx and coyotes, but have yet to call in a fox. Not sure if that's just by chance or if I'm doing something that keeps them away while drawing in the larger predators.

I've called fox in with a hare in distress Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I've called fox in with a hare in distress Brian.
    I suppose it's been a right place, right time situation thus far, then. I've taken a couple fox, but both have been spot and stalk rather than calling. I'll always take a lynx over a fox, but still...would be nice to see a fox come in given how much sign I see. I'll just keep after it!

Shot at and missed an amazing silver fox a few days ago. 300 yards running. Thinking I should've went with a semi auto instead of bolt action....

Only animal I've seen so far.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I suppose it's been a right place, right time situation thus far, then. I've taken a couple fox, but both have been spot and stalk rather than calling. I'll always take a lynx over a fox, but still...would be nice to see a fox come in given how much sign I see. I'll just keep after it!
    Check this youtube video out. Not mine, but I saw this a few years ago. Thought it was a cool Alaskan clip. Calling fox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl53a8cOR-c

Can I ask what call you used? Hare in distress? I've had a fair bit of success in calling in lynx and coyotes, but have yet to call in a fox. Not sure if that's just by chance or if I'm doing something that keeps them away while drawing in the larger predators.
    I was using a mouse squeaker. I was in some decent brush, but thin enough to get a 20 yard shot, unfortunately it just came from the wrong direction.

It came in within 10 minutes of me sitting down at the new stand, and about 8 minutes of calling on that stand. The squeaker works great for fox as voles are their most common prey. It also works great because I can hold it with my left gun and work the call while my hand is on the gun.

A mouse squeaker is something I've yet to try. I should give that a shot sometime this winter. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Check this youtube video out. Not mine, but I saw this a few years ago. Thought it was a cool Alaskan clip. Calling fox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl53a8cOR-c
    I wanna do that...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've called in a few foxes. If you're getting coyotes to come, you may be hunting areas that don't hold a lot of fox? Maybe the same deal between fox/coyote as between coyote/wolf? Probably a stupid question, but do you see fox tracks where you're calling? I can't imagine foxes ignoring a hurt rabbit call, unless they've been called recently bbefore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I've called in a few foxes. If you're getting coyotes to come, you may be hunting areas that don't hold a lot of fox? Maybe the same deal between fox/coyote as between coyote/wolf? Probably a stupid question, but do you see fox tracks where you're calling? I can't imagine foxes ignoring a hurt rabbit call, unless they've been called recently bbefore.
    There are definitely plenty of fox in one of the places I call, as I've taken one and seen a number of others while just moving from place to place. That said, that's a different area than where I've connected on coyote. In the area I've seen the fox, my only success has been on lynx (which I am certainly not complaining about!). I wonder if I'm a little too loud with the caller at first. I might try out a mouse squeak and then go with hare distress at a lower volume next time. We shall see...

There are definitely plenty of fox in one of the places I call, as I've taken one and seen a number of others while just moving from place to place. That said, that's a different area than where I've connected on coyote. In the area I've seen the fox, my only success has been on lynx (which I am certainly not complaining about!). I wonder if I'm a little too loud with the caller at first. I might try out a mouse squeak and then go with hare distress at a lower volume next time. We shall see...
    Starting too loud would probably scare any foxes that were close. I usually start on low volume, call for 45 - 60 seconds, wait 5 minutes , then ratchet it up a little. Most of the foxes I've seen appear in under 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Starting too loud would probably scare any foxes that were close. I usually start on low volume, call for 45 - 60 seconds, wait 5 minutes , then ratchet it up a little. Most of the foxes I've seen appear in under 10 minutes.
    I'm going to give this a try I went out Thursday didn't see anything, but when I was ridding out I had fresh fox prints all over my first set... Patience

If you are going for fox, I definitely recommend starting with 5 minutes or so with a mouse squeaker. If they are close and you start with a wailing distress call, they will go running. Good luck, I love hunting after a fresh snowfall!

If you are going for fox, I definitely recommend starting with 5 minutes or so with a mouse squeaker. If they are close and you start with a wailing distress call, they will go running. Good luck, I love hunting after a fresh snowfall!
    Although under most situations you may be right, one time I turned my FoxPro spitfire on with a snowshoe hare distress call at night, and less than a minute later I turned my spotlight on and there was a fox standing there looking at me not more than 50 yards away. Maybe fox feel less vulnerable at night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast