Thread: Goodnews River

Default Goodnews River

We're planning a float trip out of Dillingham in August, and the Goodnews River has been recommended. Any input you may have on this river would be greatly appreciated.

Default Goodnews

We've did the Goodnews 2-3 years ago and really enjoyed it. We are planning to the Middle Fork of the Goodnews this year Aug. 21-29th (water levels permitting). Otherwise we will probably go back to the main Goodnews. Fishing is great, scenery is wonderfull. The last time we did it the water levels were low and thus many of the "braids" were unfloatable. The worst part of the trip is the take out because you have to rely on a tow from Goodnews village due to the high tidal influence. You start to notice it several miles from the last camp. Then we camped where we were supposed to and still got flooded about 5:00am (high tide was at 6:30 but we thought we were above the high water mark. Anyway, it was obviously not too bad since we are planning to do it again. Call me if you want more details and/or photos. 918-857-7105

Mark Schilling

Default Upper Nushagak

I forgot to mention an alternative (there are many). We have done the upper Nushagak many times. If you start high up near big bend and float down to Kolignik its about 80-90 miles. This is some of the best big rainbow fishing of any river I've done. Lots of good Silvers. This has always been one of our favorites. You can email me at mschilling@amrinsurancecompany.com

Default Goodnews...

I am floating the Goodnews in Aug/Sept. I have read up on it and talked to a few people who have been. Sounds like a great float. Email me and I will send you some pics I got from a guy who went there two years ago. As for the long paddle through the tidally influenced area at the bottom of the river, you can get picked up on the river in a Beaver and avoid that. I have heard it is a rough paddle to the village of Goodnews. I am using Rick Grant of Tikchick Adventures http://www.tikchikairventures.com/ and he is going to drop us off at Goodnews Lake and pick us up on the river just before the tidally influenced 5 mile section at the very bottom. That is alot better than paddling that area to the village of Goodnews or the other option of paying a person from the village to pick you up in a motor boat and take you to the village. The price was the same by the way. Talk to Rick or Denise Grant. They come very highly recommended. I will be happy to share any info on the Goodnews, fishing advice (I got from others) fly suggestions, etc... I have some info I can send you saved in my hotmail account. Email me at danattherock@hotmail.com
    Dan

I love the goodnews great river
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default do tell...

Do you mind telling me what you love about it.... Anything you dont like. How goes it.... Thanks.

easy river to float, very little traffick, loads and loads and loads of fish. Great scenery, basically its the perfect western Alaska river.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default There is a video out on the Goodnews

Go to bucktrack.com and you can buy a video that buck himself made of a trip he did on the Goodnews. Buck is more than willing to entertain questions as well. God luck on your trip. http://bucktrack.com/Alaska_Fishing_Video.html is the actual page for the trip.