Thread: Shimano Charter Special TR2000 LD?

Default Shimano Charter Special TR2000 LD?

Greetings,
    Can I get a review of this reel by folks who are using them? Looking to replace some played-out, 5-year-old Fin-Nors for trolling.

Thanks, Jim

I have one and I love it, planning on getting another to replace an older Abu Garcia 6100. It's on an Okuma classic pro downrigger rod #CP-DR-802M. Great combo.

Charterboat Operator

Jim
    i used to have about a dozen of them on my boat, down to only a few, that i use on my light jigging rods.
    when I switched, I went to the Tekotas by Shimano, much higher gear ratio, I feel that the drag is much smother, and they are stinking tough.
    I actually went three years, chartering, before I sent them in for rebuilds!
    the TRD's were yearly.
    on another note with the Tekota, i went with the line counters, though thoroughly warned against them. Not a lick of problems with the counters in 4 years, and you can actually not lie, when a fish makes a 200 foot run!!

I agree about the Tekotas. I love my charter specials but they do not last as well. I wish the Tekotas came with a lever drag though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Greetings,
    Can I get a review of this reel by folks who are using them? Looking to replace some played-out, 5-year-old Fin-Nors for trolling.

Thanks, Jim
    Never tried them Jim, We use only Trinidad TN 16's from shimano , I know that wasn't the question , but if you get a chance check em out! Bullet Proof and soon as we got off that 4-1 ratio and up over 6-1, Novice clients were keeping up with the fish better and putting more to the net, bought 8 of them in 2008 and still have everyone with Moderate TLC every couple seasons .

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    ...soon as we got off that 4-1 ratio and up over 6-1, Novice clients were keeping up with the fish better and putting more to the net....
    Retrieve rate is a huge factor for everything from keeping up with kings running at you to jigging or mooching. Any more, I won't have any 4:1 on the boat. Had one left summer before last and everyone HATED it after using faster retrieves.

I have been using the 1000's for a couple years now. Absolutely love them. We use them for jigging and butts too

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Junk. We sent at least 15 back to shimano this year. They are good until they are garbage, which isn't very long.

Tekotas are legit though.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I have two...kinda. Started using them 6-7 years ago, and they worked flawlessly. A couple years ago while jigging for herring a pod of porpoises came through. It's unreal how fast a hooked propose can strip line from a reel! In the time it took to grab a bait knife and cut the braid (10 seconds or so), the damage was done. Something inside the reel got warped, bent, overheated or something as it doesn't crank smoothly at all anymore. The other reel still works flawlessly.

Gentlemen, thanks for the quick replies. If I could afford the Trinidads, I'd get them. But it's more likely going to be the Tekota. Which model please?

Charterboat Operator

I do believe mine are the 600LC model, though they are not at hand at the moment

I have a pair of charter special 1000's and a 2000. The pro's are they are an inexpensive lever drag reel that has plenty of drag and for people that can't/won't stack their line they are a level wind. For $10 you can replace the canvas drag washer with a carbon drag washer which will smooth out the drag and reduce especially at strike. But they really shouldn't be called charter specials, they should be called weekend warrior specials. In that use you'll get years of out of them.

That said for ~50% more you can get an avet sx which IMHO is 200% more reel. Yes the sx doesn't have as much drag, but has enough drag for a reel of it's size and is much more solid and smooth running. When my charter specials die they'll be replaced with sx's.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Do you need a level wind? It obviously depends on the experience level of the users I think. I used to be a huge avet fan. But I am extremely hard on my equipment. The avet is made to such tight tolerances (typically good) that if you leave them out overnight without rinsing off the saltwater, it seems like they bind up way too easily.

I've been using the Release SG (now called Truth Reels) and so far they are simply amazing. They do take a little getting used to on the drag settings and such, but to have a 13oz reel pull 25 lbs of drag smoothly is crazy. I never use much more than 10 pounds of drag even for big halibut because I fish kayaks. It's my reel for everything larger than a pink salmon all the way up to halibut.

I used it for a year and it finally seized after me abusing it all year long and finally putting it away wet for a week. Sent it in, and for $25 dollars plus a few additional parts that I broke for another $25 and I got basically a brand new reel back. Service was outstanding.

Here's my personal review of the reel and no, I don't have any association with them.

http://guidesak.blogspot.com/2015/09...rly-known.html

Not sure these are the right reels for you, but I have been more than impressed with them.

A buddy onboard can really have a tough time without a level wind.
    And that can suck. My wife is 1000 times better with my Avet then the first time she used it. I still like having level wind reels onboard because of ease of use. I totally love my Avet. I only have one on my personal rod and it is on its 3rd season of trouble free use. Love that reel.

I was looking for a graphite reel, but after looking at the Charter Specials, I've decided to just go with a beefier reel. My clients are newbies primarily and a lever wind is a must on the salmon reels. I have an Avet MXJ-MC that is my personal reel. I love it too...

Ran TLD 2000's on a 6 pack boat for years on salmon rods. Change drag washers and pinion gear and bearing every year. Pretty good considering the abuse they took.

Had the early Avets. Pure garbage. Maybe they work better now. That Euopean dude that owned the outfit was a piece of work.

I am still using 7000 ambassadeur reels that I got when I started chartering in 2003, and I still have one that I hand when I joined the Coast Guard in 1982. For the price I have never had a better reel. I like my International 975, but it is no better then my 7000's.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    I was looking for a graphite reel, but after looking at the Charter Specials, I've decided to just go with a beefier reel. My clients are newbies primarily and a lever wind is a must on the salmon reels. I have an Avet MXJ-MC that is my personal reel. I love it too...
    The only graphite reel I have left is the Okuma Cortez, I got 4 of them on a deel so I tried them jigging, they worked great so I put 4 of them on my rigger rods, smooth drag and holds way more line than you need for kings. But no lovel wind on them, but I haven't had any clients with issues so far.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I have both the TR1000LD and TR2000LD Charter Specials and they have held up great. I would say they are excellent for the price. I am very happy with them.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson