Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dc485

Default Dc485

Did anyone see this entire unit 13 add to the draw supplement? YES! Maybe this is the start to ending tier 1/11. But, is 480-483 gone now?
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    Did anyone see this entire unit 13 add to the draw supplement? YES! Maybe this is the start to ending tier 1/11. But, is 480-483 gone now?
    I don't see this as working towards he end of Tier I. There is still good reason to maintain the two separate systems but that is another discussion.

Yes, the other unit 13 caribou draw hunts are now gone, replaced by this one new all inclusive draw hunt. Same number of total permits available, just all under one permit hunt number.

EDIT: there is some more discussion on this thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...er-Supplements

My assumption is everyone saw it. And yes, 480-483 are gone now. And I highly doubt the Tier tags will ever disappear. If anything the draw permits for this region will disappear long before the Tier tags ever will. If they did disappear, you can bet your bottom dollar there would be some law suits. Look at the history of how the caribou hunts have been managed in this region over the years. I don't think the subsistence tags will ever disappear. The rules will probably always change from year to year. But, I do like this new change to the draw tags. At least I think I do. Time will tell if it is a good change or bad change. You may see a higher number of hunters in certain locations and a lower number of hunters in other locations. Which might cause a lot of problems too. But I do like the freedom it gives the hunter to move around throughout Unit 13.

I like it too. I especially like it because I drew last year and can hunt the same area again but, I also agree they won't get rid of subsis tags. God, I wish they would because it ruins the area but oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they'll get rid of the hunt moose in the same spot unit law?

I think that if they got rid of that restriction, you would see a huge increase in people applying for the tier I tags and a resulting large increase in hunting pressure in the unit during caribou season. Just look at how many people apply for the draw hunts instead of the tier hunts to avoid the moose restrictions that come with it (as well as the limit of one caribou per household).

I think that's a horrible idea personally. But, to each his own I guess.

Agreed with the other two - without the moose restrictions, there would be almost no disincentive to apply for the Tier I tag. If there are ~7,000+ people with Tier I tags now, I'd wager that would jump to 15,000+ without the moose restrictions.

In regards to changing from 4 draw permits to 1...this will probably lower the odds on getting a tag. Last year I used my 3 caribou permit choices on unit 13 tags. Now that there is only 1 permit for unit 13, I can apply for that one and then 2 others in other parts of the state. I suspect where about 7000 people applied for the more popular areas, you'll see at least 10,000 people apply for DC485 this year. Probably higher number of applicants on other caribou tags as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    In regards to changing from 4 draw permits to 1...this will probably lower the odds on getting a tag. Last year I used my 3 caribou permit choices on unit 13 tags. Now that there is only 1 permit for unit 13, I can apply for that one and then 2 others in other parts of the state. I suspect where about 7000 people applied for the more popular areas, you'll see at least 10,000 people apply for DC485 this year. Probably higher number of applicants on other caribou tags as well.
    while I agree that there will probably be some more applications for unit 13, I don't think the increase will be all that large. There really aren't all that many other caribou draws out there that people would use up all of their options on previously without throwing at least one in the unit 13 draws. Definitely some, but don't know if it will be a really noticeable percentage. Interested to see though.

19,959 people applied for DC480-483 last year. If all the same apply for 485 this year it put's it at about a 5% draw chance which is on par with what the others were in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben XCR View Post
    19,959 people applied for DC480-483 last year. If all the same apply for 485 this year it put's it at about a 5% draw chance which is on par with what the others were in the past.
    You have to factor in that those were no all unique applicants. I know I count for 3 of those myself and I'm sure many others are the same way. The math reall gets interesting when you start factoring the various different aspects into the equation. The total applications will likely be far less than the 19,000+ total seen last year. Interesting to see how it works out.

With this new tag you can hunt entire 13. How does the tier 1 tag work? Are you assigned to a certain area or can you hunt entire 13 just the same?

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    You have to factor in that those were no all unique applicants. I know I count for 3 of those myself and I'm sure many others are the same way. The math reall gets interesting when you start factoring the various different aspects into the equation. The total applications will likely be far less than the 19,000+ total seen last year. Interesting to see how it works out.
    Valid point and one I did not consider. I do have to say though that I hope ADF&G has something in place so that those that drew for the various hunts last year won't be eligible for this years 485. Since in all reality it is the same hunt just rolled into one.

Hate to kill the excitement but a 1 in 20-25 chance of getting drawn is what your looking at. 4-5% chance. I haven't drawn a tag since the first 2 years after it dropped from 25% chance to 5%. It's as hard as any other drawing out there now. Except bison of course.. You have to be blessed directly from God to get that. Tier 1 however 100% chance but only one bou per household. That meat won't last long. You got to supplement with moose and deer.

Quote Originally Posted by wild interior View Post
    With this new tag you can hunt entire 13. How does the tier 1 tag work? Are you assigned to a certain area or can you hunt entire 13 just the same?
    I am by no means an expert here, but in the past, draw tags have been limited to bulls only while the subsistence tags were any caribou (this year was any sex for any of the tags). Also, if you have a draw tag, you can hunt moose elsewhere. If you have the subsistence tag, you can only hunt moose in unit 13.

In the past the draw tags were limited to their areas, except the first year they did them (3-4 years ago?) where everyone could hunt anywhere in unit 13. This new DC485 tag will allow you to hunt all of unit 13.

I am by no means an expert here, but in the past, draw tags have been limited to bulls only while the subsistence tags were any caribou (this year was any sex for any of the tags). Also, if you have a draw tag, you can hunt moose elsewhere. If you have the subsistence tag, you can only hunt moose in unit 13.

In the past the draw tags were limited to their areas, except the first year they did them (3-4 years ago?) where everyone could hunt anywhere in unit 13. This new DC485 tag will allow you to hunt all of unit 13.

I understand all of that. My question is can you hunt all of unit 13 with the tier 1 permit?

Very true. I didn't think of that. It does save me $10 from applying to all three though

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I think that if they got rid of that restriction, you would see a huge increase in people applying for the tier I tags and a resulting large increase in hunting pressure in the unit during caribou season. Just look at how many people apply for the draw hunts instead of the tier hunts to avoid the moose restrictions that come with it (as well as the limit of one caribou per household).
    Again, I was looking at it different (being narrow minded). Your point is 1,000,000 times better than mine. I've been persuaded. I was just thinking less moose being hunted, but this would increase caribou pressure and thus more hunting pressure. Thanks for the thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by wild interior View Post
    I understand all of that. My question is can you hunt all of unit 13 with the tier 1 permit?
    Yes. All of unit 13 is open to Tier I permit holders.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast