Thread: First black bear hunt

Default First black bear hunt

Greetings everyone. I went on my first hunt ever this past fall and I am hooked on it. Although I did not connect on anything (only saw cow moose) I am looking forward to doing more hunting and learning as much as I can. I thought maybe a spring black bear hunt close to home would be nice to try. I was thinking unit 14 maybe backside of eklutna lake or maybe in the mountains behind kink River. Would these be decent starting points for a spring black bear hunt? And what time of year would be best? Late March? April? Thank you.

Maybe try upper eagle river and indian pass creek, if you want close to home. I am very familiar with these areas but resurrection trail has some to offer as well. When your able to receive pm's let me know because I can hone you in a lot more.

I'm pretty sure eklutna is closed for spring bear it opens in the fall. Also this area is archery only. There are bears up the kinik.

I should have been more specific. When I said backside of eklutna I meant east fork eklutna past the bridge which the regs say is in chugach sp management area. Open for black bear in spring and fall for rifle according to regs.