Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things that make you wonder.

Default Things that make you wonder.

Three of my grown children and their families were at my house on saturday when a fella that I didn't know came a knocking on the door. I was closest so answered it. There was a wrestling match going on in the front room(adult instigatted... 5& a 6 year old doing the wrestling), a fisticuffs in the hallway over who had the toy first and a 3 year turning the light switch off and on as fast as he could. The man stepped in and looked around and asked is this a bad time. I said maybe for you depending whats up your sleeve. For them as I nodded to my children and their children your not going to bother them they will carry on regardless of who is in the room. I thought for a second that the guy was a Jehova's Witness but he was all by his lonesome and that don't work for them. He was wearing a suit with an outer coat that almost drug the ground. It was 45 degrees out...he was over dressed. I was convinced he was wanting my vote as he was not carrying a vacuum cleaner. I said what's up? He said so and so(a Good Friend of mine) said you might be able to help me out . I want to put a scope on my new rifle but am not mechanically inclined, could I pay you to do it for me. He had it in the car so I walked to his car with him. He had a Ruger 556, a Nikon one piece ring rail mount set up and a scope. I started to explain to him...it's real easy all you have to do is and he stopped me. Easy for you is not easy for me he said. I said O----Kay then watched the guy take the gun out of the hard case and watched him take the scope out of the box and the base out of it's package and it was very clear that all of his digits on both hands were working fine. I said this will only take a few minutes let me grab my tool box. 5 minutes later the scope was on and I pointed the gun to the ground to make sure the cross hairs were sorta straight then snugged down the hex screws. As he was putting the gun away I said just remember one thing and pointed to the flash suppressor on his AR15 and said this is the business end always know where it's pointed. He acted insulted. It turns out that this guy is a computer programmer and he could not/would not put his own scope on his gun.

Would you be nervous knowing that this guy who can't even mount his own scope is going to one day show up at the range and figure out how to make it go bang. I am busier than a one armed paper hanger right now, the rut is full blown and I'm in the middle of building a cabin. So why is it then that I feel obligated to get back a hold of this guy and take him to my private range and introduce him to his rifle. The fear of him killing himself or someone else at the range can't be ignored. I feel obligated...should I? Would you?

I sure would. But I'd get back to him through the friend that recommended you to him. Talk it over with him and come up with a helpful strategy. If those two have a friendship, build on that and work through it to make sure he gets the training he needs. It's more likely to stick and more acceptable to him going through the friend or in concert with the friend, rather than from a stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I sure would. But I'd get back to him through the friend that recommended you to him. Talk it over with him and come up with a helpful strategy. If those two have a friendship, build on that and work through it to make sure he gets the training he needs. It's more likely to stick and more acceptable to him going through the friend or in concert with the friend, rather than from a stranger.
    Our mutual friends is a non gun person as well and scared to death of them. In fact she sent him to me only as a last resort after she could not talk him out of getting the gun in the first place. We are friends as we worked together for 30 years. Her kids did not come to my house as we had had guns in the house. We managed to stay friends in spite of our differences. This guy who owns the AR15 is absolutely scared to death of it but feels the need to have it. I think I will call our mutual friend and get his number. I will tell him that I have a good private place to shoot and we can zero his gun in and get him familiar with it.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I think I will call our mutual friend and get his number. I will tell him that I have a good private place to shoot and we can zero his gun in and get him familiar with it.
    There ya go. An opportunity to be supportive while not seeming critical.

...It turns out that this guy is a computer programmer and he could not/would not put his own scope on his gun.
    This guy who owns the AR15 is absolutely scared to death of it but feels the need to have it.
    Sounds like symptoms of a guy a little too immersed in and believing of that which he reads on the internet. A brief interaction with you at the range may very well prevent an innocent person or persons getting hurt... Good on ya!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Maybe I'm a little to cautious but the hair on my neck kinda stood up reading this, I keep thinkin about the whacko's who shoot up schools and such. It all seems a little odd, shows up at your door unannounced, coat draggin on the ground, first gun an AR, just sayin....

Disclaimer: I don't know the guy and I'm sure your mutual friend must think he's ok or she wouldn't have sent him your way.

Well, you can't fix stupid but maybe in this case you can side track it and keep someone from getting hurt. My 7th grade math teacher had a saying I like. "Let your conscience be your guide" Your conscience is bugging you. You know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    Maybe I'm a little to cautious but the hair on my neck kinda stood up reading this, I keep thinkin about the whacko's who shoot up schools and such. It all seems a little odd, shows up at your door unannounced, coat draggin on the ground, first gun an AR, just sayin....

Disclaimer: I don't know the guy and I'm sure your mutual friend must think he's ok or she wouldn't have sent him your way.
    Exactly!! I consider my self a pretty good judge on character with the first impression and I went to bed that night debating with my self about this guy. I called the right people who will find out what this guy is all about. The worst thing that can happen is I will feel bad for second guessing the guy. I can live with that.

What keeps popping up on my head is that even the most inept people that I know could tighten down the two screws that hold a Nikon base on a AR15 flat top rail gun then put the scope in the bottom half of the rings and tighten the top ring screws. Who can't do that on their own? My two drive ways were full of cars, kids playing everywhere. If it had been me I would have said the guy has company....another time. He acted like he needed that scope on that gun right then. I dunno.

What if this is just some quiet shy type guy from the east coast that has come to the midwest and has decided he wants to learn to shoot a gun and the cool factor that bites lots of folk led him to the AR15 platform. In that case I want to be as helpful to him as possible. Hope i don't offend anyone but many east coast folk act much differently than the midwest folk and I really hope that is all this is. He was for sure socially backwards at the very least.

I would check him out a bit better. One thought that comes to mind, Chris Kyle.
    Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
    I would check him out a bit better. One thought that comes to mind, Chris Kyle.
    Just a thought.
    Yup that came to mind. The right people with access to lots of resources are looking into it. I trust the guy that has the info. and if this guy has no business with a gun then he will get it.

Would you be nervous knowing that this guy who can't even mount his own scope is going to one day show up at the range and figure out how to make it go bang.
    And that my friend, is why you see holes in the roofing of every covered range in this country....and subsequently why I avoid public ranges like they give you the clap.

Good on you for attempting to help this guy out.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I'm sorry, but not everyone needs to own a gun. This guy is probably one of them. Certainly not an AR15. Too many of us could pay the penalty. "How about I trade you a nice Remington 870 12 gauge for that POS Bushmaster? Those AR15s are notoriously unreliable and blow up in peoples hands all the time...."

When I've had non-gun owning friends get excited about the gun grabbing President and they want to buy a pistol, shotgun, AR15, and want my opinion, I tell them to take a hunting safety/concealed carry course first and then I'll talk to them. I never get the return phone call.

People get scopes mounted at gunships and sportsmans and cabelas all the time. Could be the guy didn't want to mess it up and might have asked your mutual friend where to take it and you were the answer. I have heard of guys crushing bells on nightforce optics (ouch). Add to that recommendations for torque, loktite bore sighting etc (none of which seem to have been done in this case). Doesn't meen he is completely inept around firearms nor does it make him a murder g sociopath either.

Quote Originally Posted by FloorGuy View Post
    People get scopes mounted at gunships and sportsmans and cabelas all the time. Could be the guy didn't want to mess it up and might have asked your mutual friend where to take it and you were the answer. I have heard of guys crushing bells on nightforce optics (ouch). Add to that recommendations for torque, loktite bore sighting etc (none of which seem to have been done in this case). Doesn't meen he is completely inept around firearms nor does it make him a murder g sociopath either.
    I will have to agree with you there. But I will admit, the trench coat and the way he presented himself would have me a little concerned as well. Here again though, people make all kinds of wrong assumptions about those who wear a lot of tattoos.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

All true and I mount scopes all the time, sometimes for very knowledgeable guys too . . . but sometimes you just get a tingle in your gut about someone and I'd say it's wise to respect that feeling. I meet all kinds of unknown quantities in this business, most with heavy firepower on their hip, many with tats, many are just odd ducks but sometimes one strikes me as "that boy ain't right" and my motto is trust but verify and have someone covering my six with those!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I agree. Kinda sounds to me like he just didn't wanna mess it up. (I can identify with that, ask Andy.) He was probably unsure about it all.

There is a little more to it, than just tightening screws and putting them in without dropping them. There's the leveling and setting for eye relief.

But sure, if the guy makes you suspicious, some research is in order.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Ditto. I'd at least make the offer and make sure that the circumstances of the meeting are discretely controlled. Chances are he needs help, and this younger generation of "all-I-need-is-an-app" doesn't know how to communicate as well as us old(er) timers. By helping him you may be able to talk him out of as much as you talk him in to.

We must remember that Chris Kyle had been treated for PTSD at the VA. Like most vets Chris Kyle tried to help fellow vets with the same problem.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

A few years back, one of my employees told me he was going to meet a young soldier to sell him a pistol after work. The next day in the early afternoon, the employee told me he received a phone call from C.I.D. who asked him to come over to their office to talk about the soldier he had sold the gun to the night before. Turns out, the soldier committed suicide with it the night he bought it from my employee. My employee said he had no idea the soldier would commit suicide. Although he had never met him before, the soldier seemed in good spirits and all seemed well. The moral of the story is sometimes people do the unexpected.

I would contact the guy with the AR and offer to take him to the range to shoot. I would ask him what other kinds of guns he is interested in and bring some of them with me too and let him shoot them as well. While I have no idea as to the history nor intention of this guy, it is a great opportunity to introduce someone to firearms in a safe and friendly atmosphere. Our society has gone to great lengths to demonize firearms and this is a great opportunity to set the record straight with this young man. Maybe he will positively influence some other people in his life.

Truth be told you don't kill yourself at rock bottom as you can't put out the effort to do it. Its when things seem to have just got a little better it happens.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast