Thread: Still trying to connect on my DM549 tag

Default Still trying to connect on my DM549 tag

I pulled a DM549 cow tag for Homer. Luckily I live in the area and It's not difficult to get out. I have been putting in my time but this has been more of a challenge than anticipated. I'm not using an ATV and I've done some spotting and some stand hunting and calling.

F&G put this hunt later in the season so I wasn't sure what to expect but I thought I would surly see more lone cows. I guess seeing so many with calves is a good thing for our area... but a little on the frustrating side. At least I'm seeing them. I seem to walk up on a few in the alders and they push deep in or give me the slip on the other side of the patch... lol. That happened quite a bit this week. I did some calling and had a bull sneak up behind me within 20 yards or so ( the wind was blowing) I only knew he was there when he snorted and jumped when he realized what I was sitting in the grass. Scared the daylights out of both of us!
    Wish me luck I have till the 20th. I'll report back when I connect.
    Just glad to be out doing it...

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    I pulled a DM549 cow tag for Homer. Luckily I live in the area and It's not difficult to get out. I have been putting in my time but this has been more of a challenge than anticipated. I'm not using an ATV and I've done some spotting and some stand hunting and calling.

F&G put this hunt later in the season so I wasn't sure what to expect but I thought I would surly see more lone cows. I guess seeing so many with calves is a good thing for our area... but a little on the frustrating side. At least I'm seeing them. I seem to walk up on a few in the alders and they push deep in or give me the slip on the other side of the patch... lol. That happened quite a bit this week. I did some calling and had a bull sneak up behind me within 20 yards or so ( the wind was blowing) I only knew he was there when he snorted and jumped when he realized what I was sitting in the grass. Scared the daylights out of both of us!
    Wish me luck I have till the 20th. I'll report back when I connect.
    Just glad to be out doing it...

Mountaintrekker
    Good luck! Something you may want to try; I did this several years ago and got quite a thrill. I put up a stand near an old gut pile, about this time of year. I wanted a bear, so I started doing a moose calf distress call. A couple minutes into my sit, and I heard a thunderous roar behind me, accompanied by the sounds of something heavy moving through the leaves very quickly. Sure I had a big aggressive bear coming toward me, I slowly stood and turned around. Seconds later, a cow moose and her calf stomped into view. She stormed around my tree for quite a while, snorting, grunting and roaring, looking for that injured calf.

I've also called in several cows this time of year by giving a bull challenge roar, and I've been able to walk close to them in heavy cover by grunting softly while I walk, every half dozen steps or so. Cow tending grunts or horny bull grunts both work.

I've also had moose respond to a predator call, only mine was just a regular dying rabbit sound. Might be worth trying.

I was out today and saw 23 moose, unfortunately there was not a lone cow in the bunch. 5 bulls and lots of cow/calf pairs and trios. This hunt is turning out to be more challenge than I anticipated. I have seen a few single cows, but they have all been on private land. Got permission to hunt most of it after the fact, but the moose are moving all over in the last week since it got colder.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Passed a lone cow from a dead rest... Woulda been a gimme, but the rest was my open door, she was across the road and skylined. Tried to get better positioned and she went over and into another dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post

I've also called in several cows this time of year by giving a bull challenge roar,
    Can you in any way explain this sound...??? I only ask because over the years a few times I've heard a sound that I can't place as to what kind of animal made it. It's not a grunt a bull makes or the nasal clucking sound I've heard them make. Nor is it snort or a long cow bawl. I've thought it was either a moose or a bear, but have really more thought it to be a moose, but sure can't say for sure. Maybe there's a video you know of with this sound?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Can you in any way explain this sound...??? I only ask because over the years a few times I've heard a sound that I can't place as to what kind of animal made it. It's not a grunt a bull makes or the nasal clucking sound I've heard them make. Nor is it snort or a long cow bawl. I've thought it was either a moose or a bear, but have really more thought it to be a moose, but sure can't say for sure. Maybe there's a video you know of with this sound?
    Cows will roar too....in close quarters it's absolutely terrifying... I don't think I could reproduce that sound. I've seen Tibetan monks make a similar noise...very low pitched, growly, and LOUD....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Charterboat Operator

the first few times i had heard this noise it made me look at my gun and wonder " is this thing big enough!!??"

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Tough to describe... I've come close to it by shouting BBRAWR very deep and throaty, but that's still a very poor description. I don't think moose use it very often, as I've only heard it twice that I know of.

Female tundra toads roar when they are in heat. It is so terrifying it makes the grizzly bears hide, and sometimes it causes rockslides on the mountains up-to thirty miles away......

Yes!

Good job Dave. That's the way to extend your hunting up until the end of the season. Enjoy.

Charterboat Operator

Congrats Dave! there is a yummy meal or 50 right there!!

Persistence paid off, congratulations!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

YIPPIE, you done did it. good persistence paid off.

Saw this guy on the way to town last night,,,,

Good job brother!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg