Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Smitty (shotgun talk awhile back)

Default For Smitty (shotgun talk awhile back)

Smitty,
    A few moons ago we were mentioning shotguns and I told you of my "cabin" gun. My Stoeger coach gun that I put rifled sights on. You mentioned you would like to see such an animal, well... here it is.
    Double triggers so she is fast for a second shot and fast for switching barrels. It also has extractors and not ejectors which makes for quiet load changes if need be. The rifled sights are set up for the left barrel and I can throw a 1oz slug into a pie plate all day long at 100yards. I use it for filling the pot and for black bear getting if need be. It allows me to change loads quietly and covers all the bases.

So far... many ducks, a few porcupine, a feral turkey, untold numbers of tree rat vermin and one stubborn black bear who did about a grand in damage to various things around the yard have been taken with this setup.

Mountaintrekker
    Attached Images Attached Images

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Thanks MT:

I can't think of a more practical survival, or all around carry gun.

Even the idea is Unbeatable.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The cape gun was very popular in Africa 1830's on for the one gun farmer. Rifle in right barrel shotgun left. The above set up is very nice.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Looks cool to me!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Any close up photo / details; what sights are on it, who did the work?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Smitty,
    A few moons ago we were mentioning shotguns and I told you of my "cabin" gun. My Stoeger coach gun that I put rifled sights on. You mentioned you would like to see such an animal, well... here it is.
    Double triggers so she is fast for a second shot and fast for switching barrels. It also has extractors and not ejectors which makes for quiet load changes if need be. The rifled sights are set up for the left barrel and I can throw a 1oz slug into a pie plate all day long at 100yards. I use it for filling the pot and for black bear getting if need be. It allows me to change loads quietly and covers all the bases.

So far... many ducks, a few porcupine, a feral turkey, untold numbers of tree rat vermin and one stubborn black bear who did about a grand in damage to various things around the yard have been taken with this setup.

Mountaintrekker
    That is a beauty.

They are a set of Remington adjustable sights common on the 870, 7400, 7600 etc. I did the work myself. I drilled and tapped right into the center rib of the shotgun and it went together nice. Loctited them in and they are solid. I may get a set of firesight inserts for them. so many shots are in poor lighting conditions where the cabin is.
    It's a lot more fun to shoot after I put a Limbsaver pad on it for sure. There is something about a good ol side by side across your lap or balancing in your hand. When I first got it I soaked all the metal in acetone and then soaked it in marine fogging oil. It seems to hold up real nice with all the wet weather we get. I also took all the wood off and sealed everything in a satin spar urethane, 4 coats if I remember.

Mountaintrekker

Nice. That's a skookum looking setup.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The acetone didn't remove the blueing? Or did you have it redone. Its
    really a nice lookin scatter gun. It would make a great RV gun.
    Last edited by 2dawgs; 11-11-2015 at 00:27. Reason: stoopid auto correct

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    They are a set of Remington adjustable sights common on the 870, 7400, 7600 etc. I did the work myself. I drilled and tapped right into the center rib of the shotgun and it went together nice. Loctited them in and they are solid. I may get a set of firesight inserts for them. so many shots are in poor lighting conditions where the cabin is.
    It's a lot more fun to shoot after I put a Limbsaver pad on it for sure. There is something about a good ol side by side across your lap or balancing in your hand. When I first got it I soaked all the metal in acetone and then soaked it in marine fogging oil. It seems to hold up real nice with all the wet weather we get. I also took all the wood off and sealed everything in a satin spar urethane, 4 coats if I remember.

Mountaintrekker
    Attaboy Mtntrkr; Now you got ole EKC gears a turning. I absolutely love that thing and it's like you said about there being nothing better to have sitting across your lap than a sided by side. At the distances that I usually kill deer during Iowa's shotgun season I'm betting the sight would shoot good enough for a slug in both holes. I have a Stevens 311 20 gauge that hardly gets touched and I know who has a 20 ga slug gun laser bore sighter. I think I'll play with it in both holes and see how close they are at 50 yards before I render it to chop saw.

What a great idear! Thanks for sharing

Your set up would be an absolute perfect cop gun for strapping to the dash. The slug side as a car stopper and double 00 buck in the other hole in case the dirt bag doesn't want to stick his hands out the window once the slug makes his radiator quit radiating.

I like new stuff that I ain't thunk of before and you get an A+ for this one!

I had heard years ago that slugs should not be shot out of ribbed guns or side x sides as it can shake them apart? Anybody got words of wisdom on that?

EKC I was thunkin a 20 ga would be sweet setup also for shooten punk'n balls outa!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I had heard years ago that slugs should not be shot out of ribbed guns or side x sides as it can shake them apart? Anybody got words of wisdom on that?

EKC I was thunkin a 20 ga would be sweet setup also for shooten punk'n balls outa!
    A 20 gouger is all I have ever used on deer. I can't remember ever seeing a deer that didn't have an entrance and exit hole from a 20 gauge but have seen it lots from 12 gauges. It has a lot to do with there are ten 12 gauges hunting deer for every 20 and most guys using 20's shoot good slugs. Those 12 ga smooth bore forster slugs suck if you ask me but then ya didn't ask and they still suck so there ya go!

Hang onto your hat today Smoke they are saying tornadoes for usens in the middle west. Tornadoes when the rut is going on don't make no sense! Too many folk peeing out plane windows has got this weather all dorked up.

EKC I saw a 10 ga S x S on Gbrok'r and I think that would be the ticket for you! And, if you lit the fire on both bbls at the same time it might just uncross your eyes ??? Worth a try?
    Stoeger has a nice two tone coach gun that would look sweet all dressed up...

Slugs have been around much longer than pump and semi-auto shotguns. On many old British guns you will fine them marked for shot&ball. Most use the slug in the right barrel as it recoils more and moves the gun away from your face when fired.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Slugs have been around much longer than pump and semi-auto shotguns. On many old British guns you will fine them marked for shot&ball. Most use the slug in the right barrel as it recoils more and moves the gun away from your face when fired.
    Interesting - and if memory serves me the right bbl was usually the more open choke of the two and I know slugs were never rec to be fired through full choke bore.. That would be a good reason to choose a coach gun with cyl bores I guess...

For a quick peep sight you can drill and tap the center of top lever. Braze a washer to a stud add lock net for elevation and screw it in. Often the front bead will work with this set up.

Interesting - and if memory serves me the right bbl was usually the more open choke of the two and I know slugs were never rec to be fired through full choke bore.. That would be a good reason to choose a coach gun with cyl bores I guess...
    Just an FYI this coach gun has a modified and imp cyl choke. makes for a really versatile gun.

Mountaintrekker

I don't care for sxs shotguns much but I gotta admit this one has a certain appeal to it. I'm thinking an OU in 12ga with about 20in barrels would be neat. Hmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I don't care for sxs shotguns much but I gotta admit this one has a certain appeal to it. I'm thinking an OU in 12ga with about 20in barrels would be neat. Hmmmmmm.
    Uh huh. Hmmmmmm means your wheels are turning too! Kinda funny, I have two AR15s sitting in the corner with a bunch of boxes from Brownells full of gadgets to put on them ARs. The guys that own them are in a big toot for me to gat them all tacticooled up. I yawn at the thought but Mountaintrekke'rs little side by side has got me all excited. Must be a generation gap thing!

EKC I saw a 10 ga S x S on Gbrok'r and I think that would be the ticket for you! And, if you lit the fire on both bbls at the same time it might just uncross your eyes ??? Worth a try?
    Stoeger has a nice two tone coach gun that would look sweet all dressed up...
    When this Alaska Outdoors forum first got my attention back 10 years ago I made several posts about recoil not bothering me. Then I was strapping hooks on my legs and skinnying up tall poles all day. I have had a sit on my butt job for the last 6 years and the recoil deal has changed. I am an old wuss now and don't care who knows it. Soooooo mine will be a 20 gauge. I have probably sighted in a thousand slug guns for guys over the years......I now decline. Not only am I deaf but ten 12 ga. slugs in a row through a light weight gun gives me a head ache. Besides we ain't got no bears here in redneck central. We got something much worse...meth heads and I have LEO clean up two such labs in my timber in the last 10 years. Meth heads can be dealt with with a 20 gauge SxS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast