Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Alaska - Bringing 2 rifles, 270 and 375

Default New to Alaska - Bringing 2 rifles, 270 and 375

Hello All,

I have been blessed with the opportunity to relocate up to Anchorage beginning of 2016. Family is ready and to say I am excited is an understatement.

I have spent my life born and raised in Idaho and have spent my entire 18 year hunting career hunting mule deer, elk, antelope, black bear, and shiras moose here. For the last 10 years I have hunted exclusively with a Winchester 70 Super Grade 270 with 130 Nosler Partitions and a Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 scope which has accounted for 10 deer, 5 Elk, 4 Bears, and a Shiras Moose - only the moose needed more than one shot.

When I found out we were relocating I splurged and purchased a Winchester 70 Safari Express 375 H&H...Topped with a Leupold 1.5-5x. Haven't hunted with it yet, but have developed a 1 moa load with 260 Partitions at 2700 FPS. So at this point this and the 270 will be the only 2 Big Game Rifles I will be taking up to Alaska...I feel like I should be covered pretty well..

One of my concerns is weather as these are both wood stocked - however they are both sealed very well on the inside and to date, I haven't had any issue with weather here in Idaho affecting my 270.

Anyways, just thought I would ask you experts if I am going to be ok with these two rifles? Any other thoughts or suggestions? Honestly outside of being able to hunt a brown bear, I still plan to mainly use my 270 as I know this rifle like the back of my hand and the 130 partition load I have that leaves at 3150 FPS hits hard and has never failed me.

You'll be fine with those two. You're right in thinking that you'll have your bases covered and that you'll probably be reaching for the 270 more often than not.

Welcome to Alaska!

Like Brian said those 2 will cover anything here. Folks have used wood forever, so as long as you keep it waxed and oiled they will be fine. You could always drop them into a couple nice McMillan stocks and save the pretty wood for later. Add a .22 and scatter gun and you have about all bases covered.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

.270 win is all you need. Though the .375 may come in handy. But I betcha it'll be a safe queen. Welcome to AK. I am also from idaho , benewah county. Bounced back and forth for 30 years now . I stick with 140s in the .270. Never had trouble.

Release Lake Trout

Your wood stocked guns will be fine- just take care of them and enjoy. They'll have a few "experience" marks on them before you're done if you're lucky. A 270 and a 375 will do for anything you might need. As Steve mentioned...throw in a 12ga and a .22 and you're set.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    .270 win is all you need. Though the .375 may come in handy. But I betcha it'll be a safe queen.
    Well, there; finally somebody came out and said it.
    Sell the 375 or trade it for a bird gun and a squirrel gun. All you need.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yah, but it's just cool to have a 375.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Yah, but it's just cool to have a 375.
    I've got one. And it is badass. But I just don't take it out.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    I've got one. And it is badass. But I just don't take it out.
    Ya know, they go bad if'n ya don't exercise em.

You'll be fine with what you're bringing, although you should add the 22 for sure. Then wait to add anything else until you have bought an ATV, snowmachine, zodiac, canoe, adequate truck and trailer to haul it all, etc., etc., and etc....the list gets longer with every year you are here for awhile, and then you realize you have overdone it and start to down-size (a little).

I'll be the opposing vote on the 375H&H. I really like mine and take it out of the safe every fall for moose...although lesser cartridges and calibers would of course work for that application. BTW none of mine are in wood.

Welcome to AK...it's the third best decision I have made in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You'll be fine with those two. You're right in thinking that you'll have your bases covered and that you'll probably be reaching for the 270 more often than not.

Welcome to Alaska!
    True. You should be able to kill everything except birds and small game. Good choices.

Well I have killed moose with all calibers. The last 4 I took with a firearm were.....2 with a .375 pushing 300 gr Barnes X bullets, 1 with a .416 Remington and a 400 gr Barnes X, and finally 1 with a .458 with a 400 gr Barnes x. Sure, i could have killed them all with a .30-30, but why? BTW every one I have nailed with the Barnes X only had a handful of meat tossed due to being blood shot. Those Barnes X's hold together and don't ruin meat like lesser quality bullets IMO.
    Congrats on the move to the Great Land. Your 2 rifles will be just right. Now about that big revolver you're gonna need......
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by win70270ah View Post
    ...the only 2 Big Game Rifles I will be taking up to Alaska...I feel like I should be covered pretty well....
    I agree.

But there's one precaution:

DO NOT let anyone here or in Idaho talk you into selling off any other guns you own because "they won't be useful in Alaska." Horse pucky.

I listened to the "experts" and unloaded a bunch of guns before moving to Alaska back in the mid-1970's. Biggest, stupidest mistake I ever made. They'd all have been useful at one time or another, if nothing else as trading stock for guns that caught my eye once I was up here.

Someone tells you to peddle a gun before you move, give them two words: Pound Sand!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I agree.

But there's one precaution:

DO NOT let anyone here or in Idaho talk you into selling off any other guns you own because "they won't be useful in Alaska." Horse pucky.

I listened to the "experts" and unloaded a bunch of guns before moving to Alaska back in the mid-1970's. Biggest, stupidest mistake I ever made. They'd all have been useful at one time or another, if nothing else as trading stock for guns that caught my eye once I was up here.

Someone tells you to peddle a gun before you move, give them two words: Pound Sand!!!!!
    That's right. Wait till you get here to trade off those old lever guns to me for a brand spanking new Forty Four.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Sure, i could have killed them all with a .30-30, but why?
    Speaking personally, because the lighter calibers are more pleasant to carry and more pleasant to shoot. I carry a 30-06 95% of the time. I own a .338WM, but that thing rarely leaves the safe. I thought I would use it a lot when I bought it, but the 30-06 is just so much more pleasant and it kills the animals just as dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Speaking personally, because the lighter calibers are more pleasant to carry and more pleasant to shoot. I carry a 30-06 95% of the time. I own a .338WM, but that thing rarely leaves the safe. I thought I would use it a lot when I bought it, but the 30-06 is just so much more pleasant and it kills the animals just as dead.
    Absolutely. Lots of us often make rhetorical statements, often with tongue in cheek. No need to actually sell any gun before moving to Alaska. Also usually no need to buy anything special before moving here either. Lots of guys enjoy shooting big bore boomers, and don't mind or enjoy abusive recoil. That's great; different strokes for different folks. The fact remains that most any medium bore, non-"magnum" cartridge will kill anything in AK as dead as dead gets.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The fact remains that most any medium bore, non-"magnum" cartridge will kill anything in AK as dead as dead gets.
    Of course his 270 would probably kill a 10' brownie, but personally if it were me and I had the opportunity to go after one, (someday like he might get) I think I'd feel a bit better knowing I had the 375 mag in my hands.

The only thing I would add is, (as other have already touched on)...Dad always said if you don't have any other guns, have a 22, a shotgun, and a high powered rifle and you'll be set. I don't have many other guns but I do have those....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Well I'm leaving Alaska Sunday, headed for Idaho, I'll wave when I go by!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Well I'm leaving Alaska Sunday, headed for Idaho, I'll wave when I go by!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bon voyage Limon! I hope Idaho treats you really good. Alaska is always here for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Of course his 270 would probably kill a 10' brownie, but personally if it were me and I had the opportunity to go after one, (someday like he might get) I think I'd feel a bit better knowing I had the 375 mag in my hands.

The only thing I would add is, (as other have already touched on)...Dad always said if you don't have any other guns, have a 22, a shotgun, and a high powered rifle and you'll be set. I don't have many other guns but I do have those....
    Agreed. I don't want to contribute to another "what guns make the best personal arsenal", but I would consider myself gun poor without a .22 and a 12 gauge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast