Thread: Deshka

Default Deshka

Anyone fish the Deska in the last couple of days? Wondering how well everyone was hooking up. Thinking of going out tonight after work. Saw the numbers were up a bit.

Numbers are up a bunch as compared to the past few days. Lots of fish being caught, even in the lower reaches. Bright chromers, just coming in. If you need some for the freezer, now is the time.

Just got back and the fishing was excellant. Landed 12 kings and kept 6. Two were just a shy over 40lbs and most were in the 25-35 range. Will be going back tomorrow to do it again. Even though the water is warm they are still holding in the deep pools. Good Luck!!!

What would you guys reccomend in the tackle department?

I've been buying a King tag for years and friday look to get my first one.

Hey Polarisblake where about were you on the river? Near the mouth or upriver? I'm going tonight.

Default Slow for me yesterday

I fished the Deshka at the mouth yesterday, and although there were fish in the river (I saw around 100 kings roll) we did not get one, and there were less than 10 caught for the day. Tried trolling and casting, and watched others with eggs not do any better. The water temp was something lke 63 degrees.

but is was a beautiful day and there were no bugs...

I was on the river fishing at 6:30 AM this morning (a little late for these sunny days we're experiencing). I caught a 25# female at 9:30 AM and pulled out at about 10:30-11:00 AM. I saw very few fish being caught. The fish I did see caught were already turning a dark red color. Fortunately, mine was nice and silver but the fillets weren't a firm as those on the fish I caught last weekend. I suspect it's the warm water temps.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Were you down at the mouth doug?

I was at the mouth and up the river a ways. Hopefully the clouds will bring cooler temps, darker days and better fishing. This is definitely not the best year I've ever had on the Deshka.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Thanks Doug I'm thinking I'll be there tonight.

My wife and I were there yesterday (Saturday) and again today. Yesterday, my wife hooked two and lost them (she's been king fishing for 25 years and still doesn't set the hook!) I had one nice hit but didn't hook-up, got a big fish to the boat (wife lost it in the net), and landed a very nice male (about 38 pounds). Today, I caught two and my wife caught one. I lost one, he ran under the boat several times and the last time, cut the line on the edge of the boat. I think today was our lucky day because we saw very few fish caught, three total, other than ours.

My girlfriend and I went on Sat evening. Hooked and landed a 25# buck. NIce and silver. Had 2 more at the boat but both foul hooked. They too were nice and silver. G/F then hooked up to a nice one but lost him shortly after. All in all not a bad day. We were there from about 4:30 pm till about 1:30 am. We then got back to the landing to find some guy needed a lift back to his boat that drifted down from willow creek and was stuck out in the middle of the big su. I was reluctant to help only because it was 2 am and I've never been up from the landing before. But I ended up helping him out and gave him a ride to his boat which was also out of gas. Gave him a few gallons to get it up and running and headed back to the landing. Kinda a fun way to finally get the willow run under my belt. LOL.

Sounds like you had a great day of fishing to me, and you got a chance to do your good deed for the day. Right on!!!

Default Any left?

I was thinking about getting the kids out on the Deshka tomorrow to get them hooked up, is it worth the trip? Many thanks in advance for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown767 View Post
    I was thinking about getting the kids out on the Deshka tomorrow to get them hooked up, is it worth the trip? Many thanks in advance for the replies!
    Plenty, but you will need to go upstream a bit to do the best. Still quite a few hanging below the weir though.

Was out yesterday and we caught 3. Mine was absolutely dime bright with sea lice still on it. Kinda hard to believe for July 3rd. Two of my buddies who are guides said they've never seen one so bright that late. Anyone else?

hunt ak

Did you fish the mouth or go up stream? Nice to hear someone is catching fish

We went up a ways, not too far though. Caught all three within 20 minutes of each other then it slowed down, fun though!