Thread: Late season hunt help!!!!

Default Late season hunt help!!!!

Hello all,

I am looking for what ever hunting opportunities may be left this winter! I have no draw permits, just general season tags. I've been tossing around the idea of a unit 20f caribou hunt, or maybe finding an area that holds some blacktail.

I am a reasonably skilled hunter, and I am not afraid to cover some ground! Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated!!!

I am located in Anchorage and willing to drive, but probably not fly unless the price is right.

Thanks!

Nick

Ok. Hang on just a minute and I'll check the regs for you. Don't go away, I'll be right back.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Ok. Hang on just a minute and I'll check the regs for you. Don't go away, I'll be right back.
    yeah, you might want to look through the regs there are plenty of winter hunts for harvest or registration. Find one that looks like it will work and then research it here or ask a specific question about that hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post

(I think this was just his way of introducing himself....)
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Kodiak. Hunts for all fitness and pocketbook levels. Black tail deer and registration goats, great waterfowl, also ptarmigan, hares and fox. You can fly commercially, then rent a vehicle for a road system and pack in hunt. Fly commercially and fly out for DIY hunt. fly into a lodge. Take the ferry and hunt the road system. Take the ferry and fly out to a remote hunt... many, many options,

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Kodiak. Hunts for all fitness and pocketbook levels. Black tail deer and registration goats, great waterfowl, also ptarmigan, hares and fox. You can fly commercially, then rent a vehicle for a road system and pack in hunt. Fly commercially and fly out for DIY hunt. fly into a lodge. Take the ferry and hunt the road system. Take the ferry and fly out to a remote hunt... many, many options,
    What he said ^^^

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by as.ks.ak View Post
    What he said ^^^

Exactly why I started this thread haha the people telling me to read the regs aren't helping! I know where I can hunt, but just because I am allowed to hunt deer in unit 6, doesn't mean its a good place to try it!

I appreciate the suggestions about Kodiak, researching how to get there now. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post

Thanks!! I appreciate the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by npagni1 View Post
    Exactly why I started this thread haha the people telling me to read the regs aren't helping! I know where I can hunt, but just because I am allowed to hunt deer in unit 6, doesn't mean its a good place to try it!

I appreciate the suggestions about Kodiak, researching how to get there now. Thanks everyone!

Seriously? I think you need to put in a little work here on your own. Sure, the goat hunting is great in Unit 1, but are you willing to travel there? Do you have a snowmachine, ATV, boat, etc.???? Simply by looking at the regs, some maps, your wallet, etc. you can narrow it down a little and then do a search for RC867 (or whatever).

It gets a little frustrating to constantly see people on here just wanting someone to spoon feed them a hunt plan.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Seriously? I think you need to put in a little work here on your own. Sure, the goat hunting is great in Unit 1, but are you willing to travel there? Do you have a snowmachine, ATV, boat, etc.???? Simply by looking at the regs, some maps, your wallet, etc. you can narrow it down a little and then do a search for RC867 (or whatever).

It gets a little frustrating to constantly see people on here just wanting someone to spoon feed them a hunt plan.
    I agree with the spoon feeding comment...planning the hunt is half the fun!!

However I do understand a guy who knows nothing needing a place to start. But I sure do agree, open the regs, search this site, you'll find a good plan eventually. And if you can't hit up mr. Strahan or Larry over at pristine ventures.

If you need help that bad, pay somebody who knows what they're talking about that can put you in a good position to have an enjoyable hunt. However, neither of those guys is going to be a big help at that much of a short notice. They're some busy fellas.

Anyways, enjoy the off season and don't put in for any of the draw tags I did!!!!

Get over yourself. The guy needed a pointer so he threw a feeler out. Quit busting balls. I know it's winter and dark and your probably sitting on here trolling being miserable. Give a suggestion or move on. *****in never made anyone happy.

My 2 cents; deer in PWS, or Kodiak as said. Or hit the haul road with a bow late. Dangerous but fun. Or just take it easy, enjoy some time over a predator call off the road system. Hit a ditch and shoot some rabbits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Simply by looking at the regs, some maps, your wallet, etc. you can narrow it down a little
    After you have used oakmans suggested methods and have narrowed down where to go and what for, you can make phone calls to the various area bios and get info on animal populations.
    The Taylor hiway for RC867 might hold potential.
    Good luck.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    Get over yourself. The guy needed a pointer so he threw a feeler out. Quit busting balls. I know it's winter and dark and your probably sitting on here trolling being miserable. Give a suggestion or move on. *****in never made anyone happy.

My 2 cents; deer in PWS, or Kodiak as said. Or hit the haul road with a bow late. Dangerous but fun. Or just take it easy, enjoy some time over a predator call off the road system. Hit a ditch and shoot some rabbits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I'm "over myself". I did make a suggestion that he narrow it down a little (his first post by the way). His second post was to note that references to the regs wasn't helpful. In my opinion, my first reply was very helpful.

You'll find that the more specific your questions, the better and more numerous the replies will be. If after going through the regs you have a few potential scenarios to run by people, you'll likely find pretty solid responses - if not publicly, then often privately through PMs.

Hello all,

I am looking for what ever hunting opportunities may be left this winter! I have no draw permits, just general season tags. I've been tossing around the idea of a unit 20f caribou hunt, or maybe finding an area that holds some blacktail.

I am a reasonably skilled hunter, and I am not afraid to cover some ground! Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated!!!

I am located in Anchorage and willing to drive, but probably not fly unless the price is right.

Thanks!

Nick
    There's probably some registration tags out for moose. An archery hunt up the 5 mile corridor. A blacktaill hunt if you have the means. We hunted bears earlier this fall but they seemed quite lethargic.

For me, daylight utilization is more valuable than saving a few dollars. Maybe try calling for fur or hunting water fowl.

I'd go with grouse/ptarmigan or rabbits. Learn some country.

All effort pays dividends for future hunts.