View Poll Results: What is the best ice fishing sonar/flasher unit?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vexilar

11 57.89%
  • Hummingbird

1 5.26%
  • Marcum

7 36.84%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Fishing Sonar Flasher Units

Default Ice Fishing Sonar Flasher Units

I am looking to buy one for ice fishing for lake trout. I have been looking at Marcums, Vexilars, and Hummingbirds. Not sure which one to buy and I am wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of each are. Please vote and give me your opinion on which is the best one to buy and why. I am hoping to buy something less than $400 if that makes any difference.

I have a $200 gift card to Basspro and I was hoping to buy it there, but it looks like Basspro only carries Hummingbirds and Marcums. I know a lot of guys use Vexilar (like Jedi Salmon Slayer and some of his friends) and I have heard good things about Vexilar. All the reviews on Hummingbirds I have read have been positive. I haven't heard much about Marcums. Thanks.

Wow, seriously? It's not like I'm asking for someone's secret spot.

I use marcum lx5 for last 3 years. I love it easy too use I don't get all scrambled when my other buddies use there flashers next to me, can't say the same about there units lol. I use mine for 140+ft of depth searching for my favorite fish. Case cover and transducer arm holder is a plus . I hate a floating object in my hole for my line to get tangled up in. Hell if I forget it I turn around to go back home for it, if it's in the dead of winter. It helps a lot , takes the waiting game for not knowing what's down deep. Nothing there on screen for 10-15 min time to move
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Another vote for the LX-5 here.
    Wouldn't go to the lake without it.
    I also don't like the floats used on Vex units.
    Which ever unit you decide on make sure it has a dual beam transducer.
    They are imperative when fishing sharp breaks.

I've only used the Vexilar. I'm used to setting the transducer out of the hole when reeling in a fish. I like that it is not a LCD screen, which tend to have issues when it gets really cold. (never a problem when ice fishing, but thought I'd drop it out there)

Thanks for the input fellas! Rep points sent!

I have been using marcum for about a decade now. Started with an LX5 and now use an LX7. Nothing bad to say about either unit. I went with marcum because they are quiet when you are using them. Another note, I have been using the 7 for four years now I think. Split duty between North Dakota and here in the Interior and have had zero issues w/ LCD screen and the cold.

You can't go wrong with any of your choices.

I have a Vexilar FL20 and have used it for many years and really like it.
    No issues except for replacing the battery once. I have an Fl8SLE as a back up/loaner unit.
    I bought my stepson a Marcum LX1 I found locally at a decent price.
    They all work fine.
    The zoom feature of some units is nice to have.
    You also want to make sure whatever you buy will read to the max depths you will be fishing. Some only go to 100' and if you go deeper you are SOL.
    I added a Tri beam transducer to mine which is a nice added feature but not entirely necessary.
    I don't mind the Vexilar float system and it has never bothered me pulling the float out for a fish.
    They will all have a transducer and cable in your hole getting in the way especially with a big fish so I don't really see the issue there.
    It not as though those without a float do not have to pull their transducer for a fish anyway right?
    Overall I think they are a great addition to any Alaskan ice fisherman's gear and will definitely put more fish on the ice.
    Yes you can get by without one but if you have the budget why not catch more fish?

Not sure where your at but if your on the peninsula this winter we could meet up and I would let you try out the units I have to help your decision making process.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

On occasion I still use my 20 some year old Vexilar FL8. It's been bullet proof. About 5 years ago I bought a Vexilar FL18. I love the zoom feature. I've fished around a lot of other units but my preference has been Vexiilar. They've been around the longest...

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Not sure where your at but if your on the peninsula this winter we could meet up and I would let you try out the units I have to help your decision making process.
    Thanks for the offer. I don't get down to the Kenai that much in the wintertime, but if I do get down there I'll look you up.

I use a vexilar have used it for 10 years and love it. Zoom features could be nice but when your fishing for 20 pound fish who needs zoom!

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I'm also a vexilar guy. I used a fl-8 for a long time and now have a fl-18 with tri-beam. It does have an interference button that certainly works if someone else is using a flasher in the vicinity.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I've used the Vex fl-8, fl-18, fl-20 and own a Humming Bird Ice-35. I've never had a problem with Vex or Hummingbird. I went with the Hummingbird for the price/options.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I like lowrance, only a true sonar has memory, a flasher is just a flasher.
    Redleader standing by

Charterboat Operator

My
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I am looking to buy one for ice fishing for lake trout. I have been looking at Marcums, Vexilars, and Hummingbirds. Not sure which one to buy and I am wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of each are. Please vote and give me your opinion on which is the best one to buy and why. I am hoping to buy something less than $400 if that makes any difference.

I have a $200 gift card to Basspro and I was hoping to buy it there, but it looks like Basspro only carries Hummingbirds and Marcums. I know a lot of guys use Vexilar (like Jedi Salmon Slayer and some of his friends) and I have heard good things about Vexilar. All the reviews on Hummingbirds I have read have been positive. I haven't heard much about Marcums. Thanks.
    My wife wont let me get one...... she said to just cut a hole and look down it sry...

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    I like lowrance, only a true sonar has memory, a flasher is just a flasher.
    Yes but a flasher works in real time with no delay.
    Many sonar units have a slight delay. Not a huge deal but on those light bite days can sometimes make a big difference.
    I have never needed the memory feature. Not sure how it would help me all that much. Whats going on right now is the most important to me not what happened 30 seconds ago.
    Many modern day pro fishermen use flashers even on their fancy bass tournament boats because they still have their place and in some unique situations are better than sonar.
    Their is a reason the majority of ice fishermen who use electronics still use flashers as well. To each their own but I won't be switching anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    My
    My wife wont let me get one...... she said to just cut a hole and look down it sry...
    I've got a loaner unit if your ever up this way.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I've got a loaner unit if your ever up this way.
    Thank you that's awesome! Looks like were gonna be making some ice here the next week or so!! Cant wait to punch some holes!

I would turn around after 50 miles headed to the lake I fish for lakers just to get my vexilar if I forgot it. I own the FL 20. Like others have stated I love the bottom zoom feature for the bottom six feet or 12 feet. Good thing about the 20 is it will read depths up to 200 ft. I personally would no go with any other unit besides vexilar. Another bonus is great customer service. I left the ice house one year in North Dakota during a wind storm and the tent side blew in and knocked my whole unit down the hole. Dumb mistake by me to leave it there. I spent all day trying to hook it and finally did and reeled it up. Dried everything out but the screen didn't work properly anymore. Called vexilar explained what had happened, I sent the screen unit it and they replaced it free of cost.
    I have friends that have Marcums and enjoy them as well. I would stay with either vex or marcum if it was me, but you won't catch me on the ice anytime soon without a vexilar.

I decided to go with the Marcum VX1-Pro. I was kind of leaning towards a Vexilar, but I had a gift card to Basspro for $200 and Basspro only carries Marcum and the Hummingbird. I haven't got the chance to use it yet. I'm hoping to maybe try it out this weekend. I do like that is comes ready to go out of the box and it comes with a nice protective case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast