Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak - Fly fishing video for Coho Sept. 2015

Default Kodiak - Fly fishing video for Coho Sept. 2015

Hi guys,

First post. I had the pleasure of visiting Kodiak this past September to visit a great friend and spent the week wearing my arm out of fish. We camped, saw bears, hiked, and threw clousers until we couldn't move our arms. I put together a quick video of the trip that may give people an small idea of what it is like to fish in Kodiak. (both links are to the same video, one is a Vimeo Link, the other is Youtube).

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/wcFY6zFdVRA

Hauling a flopping fish up on the rocks and then tossing it back in the water is not something to show the world in my opinion (1.05) .

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hauling a flopping fish up on the rocks and then tossing it back in the water is not something to show the world in my opinion (1.05) .
    But did you like the music? First trip to AK, wasn't trying to upset anyone with the video as far as catch and release tactics go. The "pink salmon" at min (1.05) looked like it did just fine. I felt like we respected the resources/fish while there and if you really want to get bent you should check out the people flossing for silvers on Buskin. Think I'd be more concerned with that but that is just my opinion.

fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geat vid, I will have to agree with below about beating the fish on the rocks...as well, you are completely right about the snaggers, it's even worse at Snagshak (Pasgshak).
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Nice Video! I wont even hold the fact that someone is wearing a Citadel hoodie against you! lol. My son attends USMA, so the jab had to be taken... I'm going to Kodiak this Friday for my first trip there. Can't wait to see that place, it's been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember!

Cool video! Looks like you guys had a good trip and took a nice bounty home with you. Good memories, good times.

Don't let the pretentious folks get to you. This forum brings out all the experts. LOL! I'm sure they have never done this before. Looked pretty harmless to me.

Glad you had a good visit.

Quote Originally Posted by akfshklr View Post
    Looked pretty harmless to me.
    It is, if you're planning to kill the fish.

Here are the facts though. Fish and game used to weir up the silvers in the Buskin River right down at Bridge #1 just above tidewater, rather than the weir at Buskin Lake several miles upstream. Problem was, just the netting of the fish to lift them from the box over the weir, and take a scale sample from some, resulted in a whole bunch of silvers dying off not too far above the weir. They had to quit that weir entirely for silvers due to the high mortality. Nothing official published, but one of the guys that worked there told me that in their stream surveys it looked like as much as 1/3 of the fish handled even carefully downriver were dying off. Somehow they're real "fragile" down in and near tidewater until they've had a day or two to get used to the freshwater.

If you wanna crank fish up onto the rocks and kick them back into the water, do it upriver. But even up there, the wardens will be happy to ticket anyone "handling" fish the way some of them were in the vid. Your rod, your fishing trip, your decision, your conscience, and your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

Here are the facts though. Fish and game used to weir up the silvers in the Buskin River right down at Bridge #1 just above tidewater, rather than the weir at Buskin Lake several miles upstream. Problem was, just the netting of the fish to lift them from the box over the weir, and take a scale sample from some, resulted in a whole bunch of silvers dying off not too far above the weir. They had to quit that weir entirely for silvers due to the high mortality. Nothing official published, but one of the guys that worked there told me that in their stream surveys it looked like as much as 1/3 of the fish handled even carefully downriver were dying off. Somehow they're real "fragile" down in and near tidewater until they've had a day or two to get used to the freshwater.

If you wanna crank fish up onto the rocks and kick them back into the water, do it upriver. But even up there, the wardens will be happy to ticket anyone "handling" fish the way some of them were in the vid. Your rod, your fishing trip, your decision, your conscience, and your wallet.
    Well said
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

With all due respect BrownBear, as I very much enjoy reading your posts, it was a pink, he did not kick it back in the water and it might have been a few feet at most from the water's edge. I have seen salmon launch themselves out of the water farther than that.

With all due respect BrownBear, as I very much enjoy reading your posts, it was a pink, he did not kick it back in the water and it might have been a few feet at most from the water's edge. I have seen salmon launch themselves out of the water farther than that.
    So, it being a "humpy" makes it ok? Because that is what you appear to be saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    So, it being a "humpy" makes it ok? Because that is what you appear to be saying.
    I was referring to BrownBear's comments on coho which was the premise for his fish killing comments to me.

Gary, do you honestly believe that fish in the video was mortally harmed?

Min 1:54 in video shows me brining in a salmon (can't remember now what species), min 2:01 another landing. I was in open water and able to control/land the fish without a net. Come to think of it I'm not sure I saw anyone using a net on the Buskin, it is a pretty crowded river and not really a lot of room to maneuver when catching fish. Just my 2 cents. We did not bash & crash everything we caught as some may think.

Good luck and have fun on your trip. Enjoy the rivalry, and totally expect it. Best to your son!
    Quote Originally Posted by orion94us View Post
    Nice Video! I wont even hold the fact that someone is wearing a Citadel hoodie against you! lol. My son attends USMA, so the jab had to be taken... I'm going to Kodiak this Friday for my first trip there. Can't wait to see that place, it's been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember!

Thanks. The visit was incredible.
    Cool video! Looks like you guys had a good trip and took a nice bounty home with you. Good memories, good times.

Don't let the pretentious folks get to you. This forum brings out all the experts. LOL! I'm sure they have never done this before. Looked pretty harmless to me.

Glad you had a good visit.

What pink?
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    What pink?
    My thoughts zackly. Ain't no pinks in there that I saw.

One thing to remember about posting videos. Wardens wander sites like this and watch videos too! They're convinced that videos make pretty good evidence.

First off, I'd like to say congratulations on a good fishing trip. Looks like you enjoyed your visit to our state! Right place, right time, right gear and technique; way to put it together!

Please take some constructive criticism from me as just that; constructive. I speak as a person who has spent many days in meetings discussing and listening to proposals regarding fisheries management policies. As others have mentioned, unless the fish is going to be retained, removing it from the water increases its chance of premature mortality. In other words, pull it up on the beach before unhooking it, its more likely to die before its able to spawn. That is indisputable fact. As such, it is a ticketable offense to remove king salmon from the water unless retaining them in many state waters. Same with rainbow/steelhead trout. Coho salmon as well. Not all waters have these restrictions, but they have been put in place because of the higher mortality rate of fish that have been removed from the water and carelessly handled. We owe it to the fishery to treat every fish hooked with equal respect. There are so many forces at work to try to limit sports fishermen's access to Alaska's resources; not only tree hugging anti everything types, but commercial fishermen fighting for a larger share, other sport fishermen who believe hook and release affects their ability to catch fish, etc. Videos and photos of fish handling techniques that result in higher than necessary mortality rates have the potential to seriously harm hook and release fisheries.

Yes, you can always find someone else doing something worse, and can try to use that action to justify your own. "felt like we respected the resources/fish while there and if you really want to get bent you should check out the people flossing for silvers on Buskin. Think I'd be more concerned with that but that is just my opinion."

But why take the low road like that? Learn from it, own it as a mistake, and go forward from there. You've got the skills, the passion, the gear. Your road forks two ways; you can be an ambassador for fly fishing and tourism, or a poster child for what is wrong with hook and release, and visitors to the state who just take and take with no thought to their impact on the resources.

As to your Buskin flosser comment; showing concern for your handling of fish at minute 1 of the video does not mean I don't also get bent about other people's unethical, illegal or just irresponsible actions. Because other people may do the same thing or worse doesn't mean a lesser wrong should just get a pass.

Hope you have a great winter; next time you're in Alaska, just leave the fish in the shallows to unhook them... no skin off your back, and certainly less skin off theirs!

I liked the video and the music and have no other comment/criticism/advise other than to hope you visit Alaska again and post your next results.

First, to all here, I'll say that I'm friends with PJ, one of the guys in the vid. He's a class act and a good steward of the sport. So if the OP is hanging with him, he's probably a class act as well.

All good comments here and I read them more as "constructive" rather than "criticism."

I'm not a tree hugger, and I kill fish to eat them. But I often won't make that decision until I have the fish in hand. As such, I keep them off the beach. I'm a multi-species fisherman, and really into muskie fishing. Muskie fishing rivals or surpasses trout for being treated like fragile glass and killing one is on par with murdering a human family. So I read the phrase, "he swam off just fine..." a lot. The trouble with that is delayed mortality. That applies to salmon too. I barely even fish for reds anymore because it's just brutal to watch. You'll see people bring a fish up on the bank and it's thrashing and they literally kick it back into the water. I watched a guy last year "release" one with it's eye ball hanging out. He said to his buddy, "it'll be fine, it swam off strong." It thrashed itself badly enough to remove it's own eye but still swam off. My point is, swimming away isn't a good indicator as to how badly it injured itself. I didn't see anything nearly that bad in your vid, but I always keep salmon off the beach...even a "soft" sandy beach.

I live for silvers. I plan my year around them. I have silver salmon tattoos. Tailing a silver is easily done (pinks, not so much!) and it keeps them safe until you decide what to do with them. And I'm all for picking one up out of the water for a pic, but dragging salmon (even pinks) on the beach...even a sandy beach.... is normally done by the tourists wearing sandals with socks wearing a 12 ga on their back because they saw a 17' bear in Kodiak on Nat Geo before they came up. Don't be that guy! LOL

My advice is to treat a salmon like a big trout...because that's basically what they are.

Glad you had a good trip! You actually missed some of the bigger fish this year. They didn't come in well until after we got some rain in October.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast