Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Rabbit hunting near knik bridges

  1. #1
    Member summitx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    400

    Default Rabbit hunting near knik bridges

    Was wondering if there has been anybody chasing rabbits by the knik bridges, looking at heading out there Sat

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by summitx View Post
    Was wondering if there has been anybody chasing rabbits by the knik bridges, looking at heading out there Sat
    Yes I have, what would you like to know?

  3. #3
    Member daldrupjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Where do you go when going by the knik bridge? Has anyone ever hunted the Peters Creek area for rabbits or grouse?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daldrupjm View Post
    Where do you go when going by the knik bridge? Has anyone ever hunted the Peters Creek area for rabbits or grouse?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I go anywhere I find signs of rabbits. Just find a place where you can pull of the highway and take a walk through the woods. Wherever you find lots of thickets of willow and alder you are bound to find rabbits (hares).

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    43

    Default

    [QUOTE=daldrupjm;1511188]Where do you go when going by the knik bridge? Has anyone ever hunted the Peters Creek area for rabbits or grouse?

    Go walk in the woods and look for rabbit sign... no one ever told me their spot, I found hunting areas on my own. Part of the fun is finding new areas anyhow...Start walking, it aint rocket science.

  6. #6
    Member daldrupjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    83

    Default

    I'm not asking for anyone to tell me their spot, I know those are under lock and key! I was mainly curious about Peters Creek trail, even with reading the regs I still question what is legal and what is not. I know it's not rocket science I have spent multiple hours just walking in areas but just looking for some pointers!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daldrupjm View Post
    I'm not asking for anyone to tell me their spot, I know those are under lock and key! I was mainly curious about Peters Creek trail, even with reading the regs I still question what is legal and what is not. I know it's not rocket science I have spent multiple hours just walking in areas but just looking for some pointers!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No worries man. I can't tell you anything about Peters Creek. I've never hunted around there. I'm sure if there are spots with thick willow (for feed) and thick alder (for cover) you are going to find rabbits. It's that simple. Find the habitat, find the hares. The spots with the best habitat have the best hares. Oh, and now is the best time to get out and scout for the good areas. When the hares are not at the peak of their cycle they will be congregated in the prime habitat. When the hares reach their peak cycle the population will spill over into marginal habitat. If you find the good spots right now, those same spots will be dynamite in a few years and they generally will hold a few rabbits even in the low years.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    I have lived in the Peters Creek area for 27 years and don't recall ever seeing a single Artic Hare between Eklutna river and Peters Creek. There are some grouse there. I used to hunt from the Knik River bridge going north but the hunting pressure and the lack of bunnies has kept me out the last few years. Lake Louise area is supposed to be good but it's a long drive.

  9. #9
    Member daldrupjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Thanks for the info, I have a few hours tomorrow and was just wanting to use it wisely. I have been going between trying Knik, Maud Rd area or Peters Creek. Mainly looking for hates or grouse.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have lived in the Peters Creek area for 27 years and don't recall ever seeing a single Artic Hare between Eklutna river and Peters Creek. There are some grouse there. I used to hunt from the Knik River bridge going north but the hunting pressure and the lack of bunnies has kept me out the last few years. Lake Louise area is supposed to be good but it's a long drive.
    There are no Arctic Hares anywhere in Southcentral Alaska. If you want to find those (10-12 lbs.) you have to travel to the extreme far north or western parts of Alaska. Yes you are right there a plenty of hares around Lake Louise, but why drive all that far away when there are plenty of hares (snowshoe) right here in the valley?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    The main reason to get out of valley is to find hares that you can hunt without shooting in someones back yard. The second reason would be to get away from other hunters. I had a dog shot by a trigger happy hare hunter at the knik river bridge area a few years back. It turned me off from hunting with a dog around others.
    I haven't seen any snowshoe hare in the Peters creek area either. There were a bunch of domestic rabbits that hung out around a house at north Peters Creek but I haven't seen them in a few years either.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    The second reason would be to get away from other hunters. I had a dog shot by a trigger happy hare hunter at the knik river bridge area a few years back. It turned me off from hunting with a dog around others.
    Wow, that's a shame. I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm always really worried about one of my dogs getting shot while out hunting. I would think it would be pretty hard to confuse them with a rabbit when they are barking constantly while chasing the rabbit, but when trying to find a scent I always worry about that. Did your dog pass away or did he survive the gunshot? I've had one of my beagles get caught in a snare once, but I was able to figure out something was wrong because she just stopped moving and the GPS told me where she was at. Fortunately she didn't pull real hard and choke herself out from the snare.

  13. #13
    Member ChugiakTinkerer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    The main reason to get out of valley is to find hares that you can hunt without shooting in someones back yard. The second reason would be to get away from other hunters. I had a dog shot by a trigger happy hare hunter at the knik river bridge area a few years back. It turned me off from hunting with a dog around others.
    I haven't seen any snowshoe hare in the Peters creek area either. There were a bunch of domestic rabbits that hung out around a house at north Peters Creek but I haven't seen them in a few years either.
    I saw a couple of feral rabbits out by Birchwood Airport back in August. Big fellas

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    So if im readin the regs correctly, I cannot shoot a bunny with a 22lr in the Knik River Valley, rite??? But a 410 shotgun would b ok provided it is a slug only. Do they even make 410 slugs???
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  15. #15
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    So if im readin the regs correctly, I cannot shoot a bunny with a 22lr in the Knik River Valley, rite??? But a 410 shotgun would b ok provided it is a slug only. Do they even make 410 slugs???
    .410 slugs are easy to find in town. I use them for dispatching halibut.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  16. #16
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Kool, I will hafta go get me some then. Than man...

    QUOTE=FishGod;1511521].410 slugs are easy to find in town. I use them for dispatching halibut.[/QUOTE]
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    1,179

    Default

    Where are you seeing that one can not use a 22lr to hunt rabbits in the Knik River Valley? This is a new one on me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    So if im readin the regs correctly, I cannot shoot a bunny with a 22lr in the Knik River Valley, rite??? But a 410 shotgun would b ok provided it is a slug only. Do they even make 410 slugs???

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Where are you seeing that one can not use a 22lr to hunt rabbits in the Knik River Valley? This is a new one on me!
    I think he is referring to the Palmer-Wasilla Shotgun only zone. Technically, I think most of the Knik River is outside of that boundary but I think that is what he is referring to.

  19. #19
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Ok, well based on your guyz comments I recon Im guna hafta read more on this reg book. Dam, and I thought the fishin regs were hard to read. I bet once u understand how to read it, itz a piece of cake, hu? Thanx for yur help fellaz...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    Yeah and the reg pamphlet is just a small part of the rules. The dog that was shot died. It was a jack russell fox terrier cross and was mostly white with a couple big black spots and it never barked when hunting. If you can get back in far enough at the knick river bridge (crossing river branches) there will still be some hares to find. Close to the highway gets hunted to death.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •