Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: convince me to keep going with my .358 win project

Default convince me to keep going with my .358 win project

So I bought a Savage model 12 .308 a few years ago... 26" varmint profile stainless etc. I cut it down to 20" and it shoots quite good but its darn heavy at 10lbs plus with a scope. I decided I needed to have "one rifle" and I needed it to be a short action, iron sights, compact and stainless. I also wanted it to be "enough" for big game.
    I went and bought a stainless .358 barrel and when it arrived the profile was a bit bigger and heavier than I imagined. I can't remember the brand at the moment but it was one of those $199.99 ones from Midway. I of course being a compact rifle kind of guy cut and crowned it at 20" and it still seems pretty heavy. <sigh>
    Convince me to keep going with this and dump more money into a rifle or cut my losses and buy something new...
    In the end I'll of course do what I want, but I may get some interesting info from some of you.

Maybe I just should have bought a .308 or .338 federal with a lower profile and left it alone. lol

Mountaintrekker

Weight: "SIX" pounds

Stainless Steel

Weight "With" compact scope about 6.9 pounds

.308 Winchester duel cartridge use in AR-10 and in Ruger stainless compact laminated Hawkeye

http://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeLaminateCompact/specSheets/17110.html

Estimated Los'Anchorage retail price: $799.00

Order an extra set of QD rings and have two scopes set-up, one for under 200 yards and another for over 200 yards.

A receiver peep-sight is available for the built-in ruger base.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    So I bought a Savage model 12 .308 a few years ago... 26" varmint profile stainless etc. I cut it down to 20" and it shoots quite good but its darn heavy at 10lbs plus with a scope. I decided I needed to have "one rifle" and I needed it to be a short action, iron sights, compact and stainless. I also wanted it to be "enough" for big game.
    I went and bought a stainless .358 barrel and when it arrived the profile was a bit bigger and heavier than I imagined. I can't remember the brand at the moment but it was one of those $199.99 ones from Midway. I of course being a compact rifle kind of guy cut and crowned it at 20" and it still seems pretty heavy. <sigh>
    Convince me to keep going with this and dump more money into a rifle or cut my losses and buy something new...
    In the end I'll of course do what I want, but I may get some interesting info from some of you.

Maybe I just should have bought a .308 or .338 federal with a lower profile and left it alone. lol

Mountaintrekker
    You could have the barrel you have recontoured. I've done that a couple of times with my builds and think I normally spend about $35 to have it done.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Se profile was a bit bigger and heavier than I imagined. I can't remember the brand at the moment but it was one of those $199.99 ones from Midway. I of course being a compact rifle kind of guy cut and crowned it at 20" and it still seems pretty heavy. <sigh>

Mountaintrekker
    Mountain Trekker.... might was well screw the barrel on now- that's pretty cheap if not a DIY proposition. What kind of finished weight are you looking for? If you're this close, might as well finish it out. You're probably going to be in the 7.5lb range. If you want a 6 lb rifle- might as well scrap it and buy a Montana or like.

Probably skip the irons till you're sure you'll keep it, it might shoot great....or you screw the .308 barrel back on and start from scratch.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

You obviously have good taste and want a .358. Does the barrel fit in your stock? If you recontour the barrel, you'll have to fill the stock back in. I you haven't messed with the stock and have a huge thick barrel (which is too heavy?), get the barrel contoured to a slimmer profile. Shouldn't cost more than a few boxes of ammo (these days).

Does anyone contour here in AK? I know its a lathe project but under a hundred bucks to contour sounds nice. I'm not looking for an ultralight but 7lbs or so would work. The barrel fits in the stock with room to spare but I may restock it as the Savage factory stock is so so.

If you are only going to have one rifle, you might as well have the one you want even if it does cost a bit more. The 358 Win is a good choice for a lot of reasons.

I'm all for a 358 as a general carry and hunting gun, but on a parallel course to yours. For me it's all about light and compact, a long ways from your short and heavy. Problem is, if you contour that barrel down to where I'd want it, you're looking at a new stock, too. Do-able, but more expense. My day-in day-out 358 is a Savage 99 with a receiver sight, and if it weighs much more than 7#, I'd be surprised. But since it's so light and easy to carry, I carry it all the time. I have lots of other heavy guns and they stay home except on dedicated hunts. Example is my 7# 375 H&H bolt gun with open sights versus my scoped, heavy barrel 375 at almost 10#. Guess which one has all the scuffs and dings, and which one is a pristine safe queen.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    If you are only going to have one rifle, you might as well have the one you want even if it does cost a bit more. The 358 Win is a good choice for a lot of reasons.
    ^^^^ This. I'm entirely unfamiliar with the 338 Federal, but the 358 Win is about as good a walkabout gun as it gets in AK.

Ok. I think I'll screw this barrel on and see how she shoots. If all is well I'll have the barrel lightened up and see how she sits. I'm all about the lightweight aspect of things... my lighter weight stuff gets used and carried more day to day than anything as well. My idea is an everyday walkabout rifle that can take the abuse and still have the oomph to do something in a compact.

Mountiantrekker

Sounds like you just described my favorite walk'about (Survival) firearm, the 77/44 stainless synthetic camo at 5.25 pounds..............http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMaga...44/models.html

.......... I'm all about the lightweight aspect of things... my lighter weight stuff gets used and carried more day to day than anything as well. My idea is an everyday walkabout rifle that can take the abuse and still have the oomph to do something in a compact.

Mountiantrekker

AGL,
    You don't feel undergunned or limited in range with the .44? I'm looking for a do it all rifle that I have with me all the time that can handle a 300yard shot if need be.

It's funny this "quest" some of us have... the perfect gun for whatever situation or one that covers most. Will it ever end?

When I'm out at my cabin I usually have my side by side 12ga coach gun with rifle sights with me at all times. It's mostly for opportunities at food and the occasional blackie that steals my coolers or decides to eat my outhouse seat, canoe etc. I don't have brownies out there and the shotgun allows me to change loads quickly and quietly while determining what needs shooting.
    Now I'm looking to put a rifle together that covers the large game arena and a few others as well. I'm over on the Peninsula more nowadays and longer range shots at black bears, coyotes and wolves are more the norm. Plus I'm more inclined to use the same rifle for moose or bou.
    Just some of my .02 still thinking of building a lightweight AR10 in .308 as well... ah the choices! Gotta love 1st world problems!

What do some of you guys carry for everyday use around the cabin or on the trail woods bumming?

Mountaintrekker

[QUOTE=Mountaintrekker;1510654

What do some of you guys carry for everyday use around the cabin or on the trail woods bumming?

Mountaintrekker[/QUOTE]

if I'm just out bumming, I find lately I'll have my sons ( he's 2) win70 30.06 carbine. It's a nice light shorty with a bell an Carlson stock from the 80's. Great lil shooter and did I mention light. If I'm on the river I'll have my S&W .500.

"Does anyone contour here in AK? I know its a lathe project but under a hundred bucks to contour sounds nice. I'm not looking for an ultralight but 7lbs or so would work. The barrel fits in the stock with room to spare but I may restock it as the Savage factory stock is so so."

Call Steve Untiet at Alaska Custom:

http://www.alaskacustomfirearms.com

Puma M92 in 454 Casull for my knock around gun. Short, light and lots of punch. If I needed more range, I would find a 600 series Rem in 350Rem mag. However if you don't reload, the 358Win is probably a better choice. I am a fan of the 35 calibers and the 358 Win does a very good job, killing much better than its case size would indicate. The rifle you choose doesn't make a lot of difference as most anything can be lightened to 6lbs or less with irons.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    if I'm just out bumming, I find lately I'll have my sons ( he's 2) win70 30.06 carbine.
    I like your way of spoiling your son. I used the same reasoning every chance I get.....
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    The barrel fits in the stock with room to spare but I may restock it as the Savage factory stock is so so."

Be careful about ending up with much gap between the barrel and forend. It will turn into the ultimate brush and grass catcher, and it will make you plumb nuts.

L
    AGL,

It's funny this "quest" some of us have... the perfect gun for whatever situation or one that covers most. Will it ever end?

Mountaintrekker
    No, it never ends.
    mostly an iron sighted rifle, any caliber I desire that day. My 21" bbl pre-64 gets the nod most of the time, a 375HH. In winter, an aught six. Have fun sorting your dream out.

I have one of the original tang safety Ruger 77s in the RS carbine version and it's a 358 win. I hope that it goes through many generations of my offspring. It's got the top spot in my cabinet. What won't it do? I'd say your on the right track.

Can never go wrong with a 358 Winny . . . it's a Savage and just screws on so you'll kick yourself if you didn't!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast